Author Topic: Mountfield mini 200 cultivator  (Read 10647 times)

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
Mountfield mini 200 cultivator
« on: May 19, 2005, 09:46:35 »
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has one of these little cultivators or had any experience of one. 
I've read most of the posts on the Mantis Tiller, but I thought I would look around to see what else there is on the market which is light enough for me, a very weak and feeble woman ;D, to be able to get into the car and up to the lottie.  As we have a Mountfield mower which has been worth every penny I thought it might be an option. :)

MM

Sprout

• Acre
Re: Mountfield mini 200 cultivator
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 10:11:05 »
I'm your man (so to speak). Bought one from B&Q online a couple off months ago as it was about £50 cheaper than the Mantis. The instruction booklet covering assembly and operating instructions is really rubbish. I managed to assemble it (only the handle and rear depth 'gauge') inspite of the instructions. The two bolts supplied to join the two parts of the handle together were of different lengths with the result that the longer one wouldn't tighten up. I went back to B&Q and picked up a replacement bolt of the right size for between 11-20p. When I first used it for any length of time, the original correct fitting bolt and nut dropped off and buried themselves in the soil and I couldn't find them anywhere! Back to B&Q for another bolt and this time a wingnut. Now all secure. It runs ok; no complaints there although it does tend to bury itself in the soil and i have to keep lifting it out and moving it on. Maybe i haven't set the depth thing correctly? Again, the instruction booklet doesn't give much info in the way of operating instructions. The tiller is ok but i wouldn't buy another or any other Mountfield product after this.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 10:31:15 »
Interesting - the Homelite has a depth bar but not the Mantis.

Just noticed that the Mountfield has wheels which would be a help to some?

Otherwise, looks much the same as the Mantis 2 stroke.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 10:37:21 by tim »

Dirkdigger

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 10:35:29 »
MM, been looking into buying a tiller myself. Narrowed it down to the Honda fg201 at the moment. Very lightweight, 4 stroke engine and a 5 year guarantee. Not committing myself yet, but looking for a good price. Seen them at £300 inc delivery.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 10:38:26 »
dd - from where??

Dirkdigger

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 10:50:28 »
online, will try and find the site again. Looked at so many. Seems like in small print the 5 year warranty is only valid with a annual service. Looking into this a little more.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 15:40:04 »
Thanks Sprout.  Sorry the instructions are such rubbish but if it is as reliable as our mower, which must be nearly 20 years old now, you will grow to love it  ;D

DD, the thing I like about the Honda is it has a 4 stroke engine so no mixing with oil.  but it is a bit heavier (16kg) than the mini 200 (12kg) which is heavier than the mantis (9kg).  I have found the Mantis on the internet for £259.95 with free border edger and p&p, so that is tempting.  Wouldn't be nice if you could have them all for a couple of weeks to give them a try.  :)

Would still like to hear from anyone else

MM

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 16:01:34 »
mm-at the moment mantis are doing a 'if you dont like it within the year we'll give you your money back'thing,..i must say-of all of them i seem to favour the mantis..mixing or not its the lightest.....
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 16:15:27 »
thanks dd.

MM - was just going to add the trial period but kitty beat me to it!

It's not just the mixing, but the noisewhich is the killer with the 2 strokes.

As for weight, the Mantis is just about all I can carry, whereas the Honda has wheels. Furthermore, it does not have to run at full bore all the time, so better for hoeing betwen rows?? And the power is nearly double.

And the price from Jones (in Herefordshire) - £300 plus £10 carriage, against £390 elsewhere, is very nice.

So much so that, if you want to wait a few days, I've ordered one. And then you can all come here & try them all!!  MAD??

Who knows, there might be an electric going cheapish?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 16:34:26 by tim »

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 16:31:50 »
baggy me first dibs on the electric mantis! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 16:34:54 »
Sharp??
Noted!!

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 17:39:48 »
 ;)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 20:18:26 »
kitty is a quick one, isn't she Tim  ;D
So you have ordered the Honda.  I must say my OH thinks that is the best one, thinks it would be a lot sturdier.  I want to have something I can get in and out of the car for when I take it to the lottie.  But must say the 4 stroke does appeal, as most say the 2 strokes a very noisy.
I won't be in the queue for your electric, as I would need a very long lead  ;D
Be careful what you offer, I'm not that far from you, so I might be round to try them all out :)

MM
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 20:23:48 by Merlins Mum »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 20:25:36 »
With my 'reel' lead, you have about 100 feet.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 20:27:15 »
ah that's kind of you but I need about 2.5 miles  ;D ;D

MM

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 20:36:08 »
 ;D I've just found this one, it's a Honda Mini H Tiller weighing just over 28lbs and its a 4stroke cheaper than a Mantis Tiller :o

Anyone got one that can share their experience?

http://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/ShowDetails.asp?id=481

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 21:03:35 »
Roy, you can get a Mantis for £259.95 at http://www.nepine.co.uk/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=99

MM

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 21:23:02 »
caveat tho-reading the bumf the mantis people sent they offer a 5 year guarantee and the years trial money back no questions asked ONLY on the machines bought directly from them.........

maybe thats what you pay the extra for......a bit of peace of mind..or is that lke the extended warantee scams?and after all-if they are as good as they(mantis )say-you wouldnt need either guarantee would you?

hmmmmm........
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 21:34:41 »
I think kitty it is only the tines that are guaranteed for 5 years.  according to the leaflet I have it says
"all components of the mantis tiller/cultivator are warranted for a period of two full years from the date of purchase. If any part fails to work because of defects in materials or workmanship, we will repair or replace the part at no charge to you.  all mantis tines are guaranteed against breakage for 5 years"

MM

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal