Author Topic: When to water?  (Read 1870 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
When to water?
« on: May 18, 2005, 21:17:42 »
I overheard someone saying today that they have a gadget which seems to be some kind of probe you can put into pot grown plants to see if they need watering.  Now given that I have many pots, all topped off with an inch or so of gravel this seems like a good idea.  So, three questions if I may.  What is this device called?  Is it reliable?  And if so, where can I get one?

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: When to water?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 21:27:44 »
Moisture metre from any good garden centre better still get one with a light metre and soil tester 3 in 1 ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 21:29:33 »
Cheers Roy.  Do they work?

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 06:24:37 »
If you supply the common sense, yes!

And I think I am right in saying water not little & often but well & wait. Preferably from the bottom.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 06:30:31 by tim »

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 11:21:02 »
LIDL currently have them in stock - welll, they did on saturday when i got one.
works very well indeed :)
and i agree with tim on the watering with common sense, too. it's just a relief to know that there IS moisture under than top 1 1/2 inch of dried up clay......
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 17:49:55 »
When my plants are established like my brassicas and beans etc. I like to mulch them with well rotted manure. This will retain the moisture and will suppress the weeds also!
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 17:56:24 »
Thanks everyone.  I agree with the water well and wait method for soil grown plants (and using a mulch) but in my experience, most container grown plants seem to need watering almost every day during the growing season here.  But the weather is so strange  at the moment, I don't want to overdo it.

G xx

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 21:22:07 »
When my plants are established like my brassicas and beans etc. I like to mulch them with well rotted manure. This will retain the moisture and will suppress the weeds also!

What thickness do you use? My veg have a habit of rotting off when I do this, but I may be overdoing the thickness. It's dead leaves and grass cuttings which are dumped on the site.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 22:13:55 »
Not very thick. It depends on the type of mulch. I like to use VERY well rotted manure or homemade compost at about half an inch thick. Make sure the mulch is well rotted and the plants are tall and strong enough to take the mulch. Unrotted grass clippings and leafmold is bad because it can drain the soil of valuable nitrogen thus meaning less leaf growth.
Be kind to slugs and snails!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal