Author Topic: Cardooooon & Globe artichokes  (Read 1928 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Cardooooon & Globe artichokes
« on: May 13, 2005, 13:09:53 »
See how they grow!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 13:16:54 by EJ - Emma Jane »

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
Re: Cardooooon & Globe artichokes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 22:45:12 »
Wow !  Love them EJ !  Have just been given a cardoon offshoot . Think I'll have to dig a huge lump out of the lawn to accomodate it !!  :D  Also sown some artichoke seeds, but no show yet .  Do they take ages to germinate ?
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

mm-b

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 11:23:03 »
Hi EJ

When did you plant the artichokes?
Did they grow the first year you put them in? I planted some this year, first year of allotment, and not a peep out of them :(
I was really looking forward to artichokes as well.
Melanie

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 11:45:35 »
I sowed them last spring, and Di, the first lot of seeds were a complete no show, so I bought (shock horror) brand new seed, and the lot came up very quickly, but by then it was late spring so much warmer.  I molycoddled them in pots for a while, until I had the space on the plot, and didn't plant them in their permanent position until early autumn.  They overwintered doing nothing and I thought I had lost a couple, but them came back with avengance and have really put on heaps of growth in a very short while.  That flower, and the 6 little ones coming up the sides, have all started growing literally in the last couple of weeks!  I think they really need a year to get going, but I may be wrong....

mm-b

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 15:27:34 »
EJ
Thanks, guess I'll have to wait till next year and try some more if they don't appear then.
Melanie

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 21:50:47 »
Thanks for the info EJ . Must be duff seed then ( CGS exchange )  Sowed them at least 4 weeks ago, so will buy some fresh, and give 'em another go !  :)
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 22:52:04 »
When would you cut an artichoke to eat??  The flower bud is getting huge now, not as big as I have seen them in France, but big nevertheless.  Think I will cut him next week, when my 6 spears of asparagus are ready, and have a truly decadent dinner!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal