Author Topic: Anyone else gardening with arthritis?  (Read 7786 times)

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Anyone else gardening with arthritis?
« on: May 17, 2005, 20:38:47 »
Aye up

Just wondering if anyone else on here has health problems which affect their gardening?  I am only 32 but I've got spondylosis (osteo arthritis).  In effect I have to be careful how much I do at any given time, and lifting bags of compost etc is out of the question.  I am constantly nagging my OH to move containers around that are too heavy for me.  ;)

I find if I am patient, I can do things like move a bag of compost by the bucket.  Or standing on a chair helps when I'm clipping the hedge.  I've got all sorts of hints and tips and ideas for projects that people with even worse mobility than me can do.  Was thinking of writing a web page on the subject. 

So, if you've any contributions to make on the subejct, now's the time!

Charlie
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
Re: Anyone else gardening with arthritis?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 21:47:38 »
Can i ask- what do you take for the arthritis? I have had joint troubles (not arthritis though) and sorted them with glucosamine. Ive also heard that devils claw is good for arthritis, and that citrus fruits arent- im forever nagging my mum to eat less of them to avoid joint problems when shes older.
John
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 22:06:44 »
I tried this honey and cinnamon idea which was posted somewhere, but it did not make my arthritis any easier.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 22:43:00 »
As far as I know, touch wood, spit and whistle, I do not have any daignosed medical probs that hinder my gardening....however, I do suffer with a very tender and weak left wrist.  It aches terribly some days and I cannot put any pressure on it which makes lifting and digging painful, but I grin and bear it.  The other horrible thing that I seem to suffer from, is sore hands.  My own fault, I really should wear the lovely gloves Ava got me more often, but I can't use them for pricking out seedlings etc.  My hands become dry and cracked and I am unable to straighten my fingers, which also ache and the joints become swollen.  Wow, don't I just sound gorgeous!  Had a long hot bath tonite to try and ease my wrist and soften my hands and have been rubbing in cream ever since.  No allotment until next week now due to commitments, but am planning to get out in the garden tomorrow....will have to take it easy.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 22:45:15 »
Sorry to hear that Charlie, my Wife suffers from spondylosis (osteo arthritis). she would love to join me on the lottie but I can't see that ever happening now.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 02:12:18 »
Yup, I have osteoarthritis in my right foot. I also have Marfan's Syndrome (hereditary - why couldn't they have just left me the money instead!)

Re Glucosamine Sulphate: I know several people with problem joints who have taken it and swear by it - I've seen the difference it makes to them and it seems to be quite something.
Wouldn't you know it, when I tried it I came out in a rash!

::)
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 06:26:55 »
Much sympathy, Charlotte - I have only 2 ideas:

1. DON'T stand on chairs - get a safe pair of steps with handrail.

2. Don't even carry buckets - get a lightweight trolley.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 07:27:16 »
During the week prior to my recent hip replacement I was in Norfolk taking part in a training seminar. As I walked and talked using a walking stick a delegate came up to me.

He informed me that he was over sixty (he didn't look it) and had suffered with arthritis...he was now a fitness instructor.

His secret was Glucosamine he told me to take 1500 mg a day. He also said that it took three months before you saw the 'real' benefite.

He really was  walking talking advert for the stuff and when I finish  the course of tablets I am currently taking I reckon I will join him

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 08:47:22 »
When my dog injured his shoulder (jumping off a wall after a dove) the vet wanted to immobilise it as it was getting no better and the dog would keep trying to chase things.  I wouldn't agree to his suggestion and turned to a book a miner gave me when we worked at't pit.  It's a kind of herbal encyclopaidia for animals, eg cattle and the like.  Anyroad I found out about devil's claw and got some off the internet and within 8 weeks my dog was running about like a pup

I take it myself now as I hurt my back.  I will certainly try glucosamine.  My OH had that when he hurt his back and pelvis playing footy.  He ended up having microsurgery but he said it deffo helped with the inflammation
I came, I saw, I composted

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 12:25:43 »
Can i ask- what do you take for the arthritis? I have had joint troubles (not arthritis though) and sorted them with glucosamine. Ive also heard that devils claw is good for arthritis, and that citrus fruits arent- im forever nagging my mum to eat less of them to avoid joint problems when shes older.
John

Oh dear!  I can see I really need to have a serious go at managing this herbally.  As you can imagine, I have more than the one health problem (my immune system is out to get me!).  I have managed my psoriasis herbally for a few years now, and its better than ever.   ;D

I tried glucosamine for about a month, but no change.  I will have another go sometime.  These things are expensive though.  I take fish oil tho and B vits (like most arthritics I also have an anaemia!  ::)).

Anyhow, John, I take dihydrocodeine as my painkiller during a flare-up/migraine, and 25 mg amitriptyline daily to help with sleep / nerve pain.  I also had a steroid shot in my neck on May 5th, but I am not yet clear of the side effects (more pain).  At the current time it just seems to have made things worse..  :P

Citrus fruit - I too have read to avoid, but fresh orange juice is also full of folates.  I try to drink a glass a day.  I do eat well too - gluten-free which keeps my skin in good nick.  Plenty of fruit and veg - steamed.  Nuts are also excellent - contain a lot of trace elements and good fats. A handful a day is enough.

I'd like to throw all the meds in the bin, and I certainly won't bother with another shot.  >:(  Trouble is I get migraines which are (I think) related to the neck.  These can last 5 days.  If I didn't take my meds during this, I probably lose my remaining shreds of sanity. LOL  Ibuprofen gel with levomenthol is also good. 

Sorry for the essay!  If you think this post is long, you ought to see my medical records!!!  ;)
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 12:29:44 »
I tried this honey and cinnamon idea which was posted somewhere, but it did not make my arthritis any easier.

I have a book on making herbal decoctions.  Last year I made some tea with yarrow (plenty in the lawn, LOL) and callendula.  The yarrow can make people itch - it did me! 

Callendula is meant to be very good for inflammation.  I will have another go with this book at some point and will report back if I find anything home-made which helps.  :)

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 12:33:10 »
Emma Jane - I know what you mean about your reluctance to don gloves.  Touching plants is part of the pleasure of gardening.  Yes, my hands suffer too, specially after the turnip incident. LOL.  Really should wear them gloves more often.  :(

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 12:44:36 »
Sorry to hear that Charlie, my Wife suffers from spondylosis (osteo arthritis). she would love to join me on the lottie but I can't see that ever happening now.

Snap!  Send my regards to your missus.  Does she get the blinding headaches too?   Great fun, they are.  :P

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 12:50:25 »
Yup, I have osteoarthritis in my right foot. I also have Marfan's Syndrome (hereditary - why couldn't they have just left me the money instead!)

Sorry to hear you had a reaction to the glucosamine.  Herbal stuff does have side-effects too, its easy to forget that, sometimes. 

Yeah, my family on my Dad's side has all the AI (auto-immune) problems - psoriasis and arthritis.  My grans sisters both had what the doctors in those days used to call "Bamboo Spine".  I'm the same.  Luckily the bolshy and determined attitude I've got also appears to be hereditary.  ;)

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 12:54:56 »
Much sympathy, Charlotte - I have only 2 ideas:

1. DON'T stand on chairs - get a safe pair of steps with handrail.

2. Don't even carry buckets - get a lightweight trolley.

Good ideas, both Tim.  Regrettably I think I have spent all this year's budget on Link-a-Bord. If I keep on buying a bit every year, the raised beds will eventually be waist-height.  8)

I certainly would love to get a trolley or a wheelbarrow.  Can't believe we don't have the latter already, but such is life.  We got a lawn-mower instead.  ::)

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 13:00:22 »
During the week prior to my recent hip replacement

Hip replacements are all the rage, aren't they?   ;)  I read on a health forum that Mickey Mars (drummer for Motley Crue) had to have one recently.  Amazing, the guy is still drumming and going on tour.  He has Ankylosing Spondylitis.  Seriously, though, hope the hip replacement went well and has given you a new lease of life.  I know folks can wait a long time for them.

I hope the glucosamine helps too. I am convinced I should give it another try, now.  :)

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 14:33:33 »
I have managed my psoriasis herbally for a few years now, and its better than ever.   ;D

Charlie, what do you use for your psoriasis? I've suffered with this (and the arthritis that goes with it) for 17 years now. I've found homeopathy very good for my arthritis, but never managed to get on top of the psoriasis

D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 15:02:57 »
Afternoon All,
I too am an arthritic gardener especially in hands and feet. I have found, by trial and error that it helps me to wear a support on both wrists as I garden, helps to give supporta nd stops over stretching of the wrist joints. I bought them from Boots, just the ordinairy sports supports. They are not glamorous but sturdy.

I too take glucosamine by the bucket full as well as fish oil and magnesium and calcium tabs. they are bone strengtheners.  It is best to get rid of all those nasty chemicals that doctors like to fill us with, they do more harm than good.  If i have a flare up I take Rhus Tox for three days, gets rid of it all together..
"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 15:37:42 »
Charlotte as a migraine sufferer I can truely empathise, especially as mine are also neck related! I have gone the route of a cranial osteopath and I swear she is a marvel!! No clicking or whirring, just hands on gentle moving of fluids in the body, not cheap, but worth it in my opinion! ( I now go once a month to top me up, helps my rotten shoulder too!)
My Mum and Aunt, both arthritics, swear by organic cider vinegar and honey to keep them going, the Aunt also has raisins soaked in gin..........hmmm not so sure about that one! ;)
Have heard to avoid tomatoes as well as citrus.
Re: Glucosamine, for those of you non fish eaters out there, there is a non fish version available!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 15:50:57 »
DP - I've been to a cranial oseopath + can highly recommend it. Never felt so good.

Can recommend one in the Tonbridge area if anyone's looking

D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal