Author Topic: Growing Chilli  (Read 2499 times)

Nigella

• Quarter Acre
  • Plant it, eat it!
Growing Chilli
« on: May 16, 2005, 14:31:12 »
Very much a novice at the greenhouse stuff - but quite fancied some chilli - do I need to keep it in the grrenhouse all summer ?  ;)

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: Growing Chilli
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 14:42:13 »
quote author=Nigella link=topic=9468.msg84153#msg84153 date=1116250272]
Very much a novice at the greenhouse stuff - but quite fancied some chilli - do I need to keep it in the grrenhouse all summer ?  ;)

If you have room I think you will get a better crop. I keep about a dozen plants inside and the same outside. They ripen quicker inside for obvious reasons but I also think they are "hotter" inside too.

I have 3 varieties on the go this year, Ring of Fire, Pinocchio’s Nose and Hot Stuff.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 15:21:46 »
The hotter you grow them the hotter they are so if you're want a hot chilli then you should grow in a greenhouse, conservatory, polytunnel or oin the kitchen windowsill

Phil

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 15:32:16 »
Don't tell Mr Aqui that or he'll be putting them on the cooker! He loves them hot. I don't!
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 15:43:39 »
No - I like to taste them. Without lighting the blue touch paper at both ends!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 18:21:28 »
I like both options, depends on the mood and meal in question.  My overwintered chillis are going great guns and I have loads of big fruits.  Now, for some more sunny days to help them ripen!

My chillis, sweet peppers and aubergines all live in the greenhouse.  I did try some 'spare' chillis on the allotment last year, and altho they flowered well and made great compact plants, the fruit didn't set.  Mum on the other hand, grew a selection in grobags in her back garden in Surrey, and had more chillis than she knew what to do with!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 11:34:45 »
EJ,

Which varieties do you overwinter and how?

I have problems with whitefly with my overwintering plants (fuchsias and pelargoniums)

Phil

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 11:08:29 »
I can't remember the varieties off hand Phil as they are downstairs in the conservatory, but I think there are now 8 plants, 2 sweet peppers with fruits on already and 6 chillis.  I just cut them down by a half in the early winter, and then left them to their own devices in the conservatory.  They were only watered when very dry.  I do get the occassional infestation of greenfly and whitefly, but I use an organic soft soap spray stuff.  Not ideal I know, but needs must and I am getting fed up loosing things to pests!  I think I have had to spray 3 times in all, so not bad really.  They have been kept warm, my conservatory is on the house central heating system.  I repotted them into bigger pots with lots of fresh compost once they started growing again and have been feeding weekly with weak tom fertiliser.  They came into flower very quickly and the chillis are already getting some colour!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal