Author Topic: Pumpkins and slugs  (Read 1790 times)

ellkebe

• Hectare
Pumpkins and slugs
« on: May 15, 2005, 17:27:00 »
Have just been reading some pumpkin threads over on edible plants, and several references made to protecting them from slugs.  I'd sorta supposed (based on no evidence or experience whatsoever, of course!! :)) that they had pretty tough leaves and so the slugs would leave alone.

Does this mean I'm likely to find my plants in sad little tatters next weekend?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Pumpkins and slugs
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 21:35:32 »
They're vulnerable when first planted out. Once they get large, they're OK.

Trillium

• Quarter Acre
    • Trillium's garden
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 17:12:03 »
Hi,

I think you're right to be watchful.  Our pumpkin/courgette patch got attacked by a slimy army every night last summer in all that warm rain.  They loved the young flowers and new fruit especially.  And if they nibble a hole in the fruit skin when it's only an inch across - well it's curtains. 

We did OK in the end, but only due to nightly vigilance..!
My blog is www.trilliumsgarden.blogspot.com
If you're into weather, you can see my live weather station info at http://www.trilliumsgarden.co.uk/images/noname.htm

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 20:07:11 »
I'll probably find them shredded then  :(  Still, the ones indoors are looking healthy, and I'll know to protect them when I put them out. 

How do you protect the young fruit?  Do they still fit under cloches by then, or will they have got too large?  And if so, how do you protect the pumpkins - some sort of barrier?

Suddenly growing shrubs and looking after a lawn seems really easy!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal