Author Topic: badgers not carriers!  (Read 5044 times)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
badgers not carriers!
« on: May 25, 2005, 18:30:17 »
AT LAST!!!
they have deduced that cows being moved without reasonable hygene precautions are responsible for the spread of t.b NOT badgers-perhaps now they'll stop the leagalised killing they carefully call'culling'
rather like sheep scabied and b.s.e. was supposedly  DEFINATELY not transferable from animal to human-there is no proof badgers are resposible for either giving cows tb or spreading the disease.
leave the badgers alone you rotters! >:(
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
Re: badgers not carriers!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 18:58:57 »
here here kitty.
did you know that the expression to badger someone comes from our persecution and terrible treatment of this wonder animal.  I expect you do as you're a clever old, oops young thing!!

MM

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 19:02:28 »
Oh dear, I so hate to read about cruelty to animals, especially our lovely badgers.

Recently the government organised a cull of hedgehogs because they were eating birds' eggs.....  Who are they to decide what lives and what dies.  It makes me feel so very cross and sad.
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 19:07:36 »
Hi Marianne
I knew they were culling hedgehogs on some island off Scotland I think, but you're in Hertfordshire aren't you?  It is all so very sad, the powers that be always think the answer is to kill. :'( 
I'll say no more, or I'll be on my soap box

MM

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 19:22:13 »
Hi MM - Yes I am in Herts but I always wonder onto the BBC boards to read the wildlife news.  I could not believe it when I read about the poor hogs. 

I hate any cruelty to animals, in zoos, laboratories, etc.

How can these people go to bed at night and not think of their attrocious actions !  >:( :'(

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 19:25:17 »
We obviously think alike.  I'm a vegetarian, not because I think it's wrong to eat meat, I don't but because I can abide the treatment of the animals at markets, at the abattoirs and even in farms  :'(

I was born in Herts, High Barnet to be exact!

MM

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 19:48:23 »
Hi MM

High Barnet is nearer London I think.  I am in East Herts, near Hertford.  Lovely place to be  :D

I used to be a vagetarian but then changed over again I am sorry to say.
I too hate the way animals are treated in abattoirs, etc.  But in a certain way, we treat them better than in some of the countries of the East where they eat boiled cat !! And the cat is put in the pot alive !! >:( >:( :'(

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 20:11:39 »
Yes High Barnet is now part of Greater London but when my mum and dad were first married (back in the mid 30s) there were lots of open fields around Barnet.
My sister lives in Broxbourne which is nearer to Hertford I think.
Oh Marianne, how could you change over, I could never eat meat now and then I haven't for well over 20 years.  But I must confess if I smelt streaky bacon cooking it would make my mouth water.  OH eats fish quite often, me very rarely and our philosophy is we wont eat it if we couldn't kill it ourselves.  and before you ask, I could kill a fish if I had to, I just hope I never have to!

MM

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 20:39:04 »
Re: Hedgehogs

Something had to be done with the Hedgehogs because a handful was introduced to North Uist, in the Hebrides 30 yrs ago in order to help gardeners.  The population exploded to around 5,000.   A lot of ground nesting birds were under threat  because the 'hogs' were eating their eggs so something had to be done.  Not many 'hogs' were killed and many have been taken over to the mainland and this exercise continues. 

I too like the Hedgehog but again this is a case of man interfering with the balance of nature.  I am not against the removal of the Hedgehogs back to the mainland.  The ground nesting birds have to be saved.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 21:15:01 »
Re: Hedgehogs
but again this is a case of man interfering with the balance of nature.  I am not against the removal of the Hedgehogs back to the mainland.  The ground nesting birds have to be saved.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
I agree Carol but Marianne and I were talking about culling in Hertfordshire.
Wish we human beings would learn from our mistakes but governments wont let us.

MM

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 21:34:48 »
Hi MM - Yes Broxbourne is about 9 miles away from where I live. 

I am sure eating meat is not right but one day, as you said, I smelt the bacon and HAD to eat meat !! :o 

I would always like to think that our cows are killed in a humane way and do not suffer when the time comes, although I keep thinking the whole thing is wrong, but the smell of beaf and onions frying is too tempting  :-\ :-[

That is my only bad point as I always tend to purchase shampoos etc. which have not been tested on animals.

Hi Carol - Yes I am aware of the reason for culling the hogs.  I read this on the BBC wildlife boards and many people were complaining about it. 

There are a lot of very difficult decisions to be made there but I still think it would have been possible to move the hogs somewhere else in order to safeguard them.  They need our protection but instead, it seems we can only destroy. 

PS - Congratulations on your wonderful pictures !  ;D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 23:43:07 »
Oh great news for the badgers.
When I was working I saw so many badgers killed on the road it made me feel quite sick and where a group of young foxes had been playing all dead they dont move so quick badgers as cars do.
We all have to learn to live with nature I was brought up on a farm and I do eat meat but I will not see any animal  been ill treated there is no need. How ever long there life span it should be ended with some respect and painless.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 09:09:08 »
I will not see any animal  been ill treated there is no need. How ever long there life span it should be ended with some respect and painless.

Teresa don't go to some of our cattle markets then, really bad.
And I wish more ended their lives painlessly. :'(

But yes it's GREAT about the badgers, they've had a bad time for far too long  :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 09:11:21 by Merlins Mum »

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 10:09:00 »
In this area, we see LOTS of dead badgers on the road.  :'(  A large number of them are adults and one wonders whether they have young waiting for their return  :'(

Munjaks can be seen often here too, both dead and alive on the roads.

But it's man's fault - We are taking over their territory a bit every day.  God know what is going to happen with Mr Prescott's desire to build another 20,000 houses in this area !
 :(

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2005, 10:29:02 »
Please don't get me going on about it all Marianne.  It's like man seems to think he has the only right and blow anything that gets in our way.  and as for mr prescott.  if I get started on that subject I won't be able to stop.
kicks soapbox out of the way!

MM

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2005, 16:32:40 »
i'd like to kick prescott out the way!
jumped up loud mouth deckie learner...... >:(
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2005, 17:01:55 »
I think you were showing great restraint there kitty

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2005, 19:19:24 »
was always brought up to be a lady mm..i always take my gloves off before i smack anyone in the gob-to do oherwise would be vulgar. ;) ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2005, 19:22:29 »
 ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal