Author Topic: mantis tiller anyone?  (Read 10016 times)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
mantis tiller anyone?
« on: May 11, 2005, 16:44:42 »
just as a matter of interest-has anyone got a mantis tiller.....or access to one?
whats it like?
any good?
better than digging-or a real faff to use?
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
Re: mantis tiller anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 16:45:42 »
berhooger!
i think i put this in the wrong section... :-[
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 16:57:24 »
Page 1 in Basics?? Last year.

If you want more, come back in!!

SORRY - it was NOT Page 1 in BASICS

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,1821.0.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 06:38:11 by tim »

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 17:19:40 »
I've got one. I bought it second-hand from John Kaberry on Hykeham Rd. It's better than digging any day and I haven't noticed any disadvantages. Once you get used to it, it's a doddle! There are often ones for sale on ebay.
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 18:28:49 »
will do tim!ta!
petemason-there you are! ;)-i told redclanger(wragby rd lotties-he didnt know about it)-saturday morning 10-12 at the bailgate methodist hall,plant sale by the allotment soc.s..dont know if you knew-there are usually some good bargains there...
anyway-kayberries ay?we got our sheds from there-i didnt know they sold 2nd hand tools and things like that!
i shall have a look at basics [page 1 now!
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 18:32:56 »
We've got one.

It's not quite as easy as getting out the spade,  and it's noisier.

But I can do a days worth of digging in half an hour.

Mrs C has commented that I never seem to use it:   that's because it's so quick and easy ;D
Good gardening!

John

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 21:20:16 »
i am but a weak and feeble woman ;)....easy for a bint to use?-the mantis i mean-
i want something lightweight......
kitty ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 22:35:06 »
A bit flimsy for my liking and they don't cultivate the soil to any great depth, I prefer something with a bit more "oomph"

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 22:38:13 »
Even a weak and feeble woman could use one.
Good gardening!

John

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 22:51:51 »
Kitty   My lotty neighbour has one and I saw her use it for the first time and it started up lovely and was a doddle to use.  It cut through her green manure like butter.  It has long handles too which you need if you're tall.  I'm a short arse so it don't matter. Lots of blokes on the plot have them too and they just use them for tilling the soil before sowing.  It doesn't make out it's a rotovator which is something else entirely.  Why use a sledgehammer to crack a nut  ;D

Her husband bought it her for Christmas.  He got one off ebay but when it arrived it was a BIKE  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 22:53:45 »
A bit flimsy for my liking and they don't cultivate the soil to any great depth, I prefer something with a bit more "oomph"

They quote 10 inches depth, that seems quite reasonable and cut through hard ground ??? How do they differ from a normal Rotavator and how deep do they dig ??? I'm getting very interested in one 8)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 23:57:59 »
Ha, ten inches if your allotment is pure peat maybe, but if you're on clay you'll be lucky to get it down more than two.

They're OK if you want to tickle the soil up a bit or prepare a bed for sowing but they wont replace digging, also you have to learn to walk backwards while using them.

If you want a complete list of the differences between tillers, cultivators or rotavators please let me know and I'll be sure to bore you further ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 06:40:27 »
Please see my correction above!

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,1821.0.html

PS We have an electric AND petrol. AND a Wolseley!

Later - to summarise;

1. Wheel driven - best.
2. Tine driven - next best.
3. Mantis petrol. I got it so that I could carry it from one plot to another. Like all 2 strokes, very noisy in a village environment.
4. Mantis electric. I'm sold on it. No noise, no fuel mixing, no servicing. BUT-
  a. Neither Mantis will replace periodic digging. Nor, for that matter, will the 4.5hp Wolesley.
  b. Typical depth more like 6" than 10". Will break up new ground by scuffing over & over, but if you want the plot by Christmas, start with something bigger!
  c. You do not have to work backwards - any more than you do with a bigger machine. It just gets a bit deeper & hides your footprints.
BUT - you have to tread down your dug bit anyway, because it's far to fluffed up to sow or plant in. Certainly, don't put heading brassica straight in.

PS I don't advise a second-hand electric. Ours burn out after a few minutes. Replaced under guarantee next day.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 15:50:02 by tim »

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 08:23:31 »
wardy-i too,am vertically challenged..a right short arse as my oh unkindly puts it-so handle  heights not a problem.take your point about noise too-i hate endless mowing and -well-general noise-where can you go these days for a bit of peace(donna nook when they arent bombing! ;))but i excuse myself by saying it would only be for very short bursts... :)
merry-hmm.something with more oomph is ok if you are built like arnie.but a bigger machine would get caught in my crinoline surely-and is there a hook for my parasol? ;D
roy-we'll share one!-you buy it and i'll use in on days with a 'y' in! ;)
tim
good synopsis there-are the lectric ones much more expensive than the 2 strokes?we use circuit breakers so thats not a prob. it sounds very sttractive -no servicing(dunces with engines here)no fuel mixing-(hate the smell of petrol)
i think 6"is fine for most things isnt it?i'm not planning on growing prize winning parsnips!
and you have 3??????? :o
mrs tim gets harnessed to one too?
merry-feel free to go on at length about cultivators-we need to know these things!
thanks everyone!
kitty ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 08:38:01 »
kitty -

1. 3? - yes - the 'big' one we've had for 40 years. I now find it far too cumbersome to drag 100' - through the barn - down steps -100' of path - steps - courtyard - steps - 100' to the far end. And then take off the badly designed wheels and insert depth bar!!

2. So - the petrol Mantis. Too much noise & hassle.

3. So - the electric. Fine.

4. Depth ? - yes - but you must do a proper dig periodically.

5. Disadvantage of any - the worms hate them!! Sad.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 09:32:37 »
I bought a Mantis late last year...I have found that it does the job beautifully.

I can carry it in one hand.

The soil is left just right for plants.

I have clay soil but this has been dug and works over well.

I have used it over the last couple of months whilst enduring an aching hip/knee but when my period of convalescence following my hip replacement is over I will be using it regularly.

So easy and quick to use

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 09:50:45 »
My lotty neighbour's Mantis is very quiet.  It is a brand new one so maybe they've improved.  My neighbour the other side was using a small tiller yesterday and it was as loud as a flipping chain saw  :o
I came, I saw, I composted

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 11:01:34 »
Yes - the US version is 4 stroke.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 16:46:31 »
be like having an ariel square 4 banging away in the next garden..
well..its no good-despite having a clay soil in parts(it is lincolnshire!)and reasonable soil in other parts-we have dug like good'uns-and i dont mind doing a bit of digging-but when you want to just turn it over..i think i'm going to succumb-a mantis it is..i'll have to part with money!o noooooo!
i looked on ebay-theres none there at the moment-a few cultivatory things-one chap has put in his advert-'for sale due to wife finding it far too heavy-shes gone back to her mantis'wonder ifhe'll get any takers?wheres merry tiller-hes big and strong! ;D
thanks for everyones input ;) ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 21:57:17 »
If you want a complete list of the differences between tillers, cultivators or rotavators please let me know and I'll be sure to bore you further ;D

Merry Tiller, I have sent you a Personal Message please reply on here if it suits you ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal