Author Topic: Feed addatives?  (Read 1543 times)

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
Feed addatives?
« on: May 11, 2005, 08:16:37 »
:)Hi All, I have another question. When I visit with friends in USA I have noticed that they use an additive to their liquid feed called Super Thrive, absolutely swear by it. It is good for just about all in the garden even trees. It is very widely used in USA but I know that doesn't make it OK for here. Any ideas anybody. The bottle describes it as a hormone treatment.  :I know the CA climate is allot hotter than ours but the plants fed with it are really thriving!! ;D
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Feed addatives?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 08:50:17 »
Superthrive is one of those product that probably get used unnecesarily half the time. It's real strength is in having Naphtyl Acetic Acid wich is an plant hormone that stimulates root growth. The 50 vitamins are, like multi-vitamin tablets, largely going to be wasted except in certain circumstances.

It does have a use for stressed plants or when transplanting sensitive plants and is also used for fast growth such as hydroponics. I'd just keep it a a pick me up for problems rather than all the time, in the same way as epsom salts tend to only get used when there's a magnesium deficiency. Humates have the same reputation for improving growth etc, and whilst I'm finding slightly improved roots when I've used them, the plants I've just used compost for look just about as good/variable.

In short, I wonder whether it's a cae of fixing what's not broken anyway.

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
Re: Feed addatives?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 09:03:59 »
;D Thanks for the info. I was wondering if I should get some,  :-\ but maybe I don't really need that, all my stuff seems to be growing well & vigorously. I was just curious. Seems a bit over the top then if you're not hydroponic. The friends plants in CA do get a little "stressed out" due to the sun & temps in the garden there.  ;D
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal