Author Topic: So excited!  (Read 2279 times)

Lillypad

• Quarter Acre
  • Harrogate
So excited!
« on: May 09, 2005, 12:47:46 »
I'm growing cucumbers for the first time this year. I've chosen an all-female, miniature type which is growing happily on my east(ish)-facing bedroom window-sill (I don't have a greenhouse or polytunnel). I noticed the first little cucs on Friday & I'm so excited!

The 'Pixie' tomatoes alongside also have flowers!

Should I do any special for the cucumbers? e.g. feeding or potting on?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Lillypad

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: So excited!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 13:05:33 »
?? - the minis grow to about 12' in a grow bag. How high is your ceiling??

At least a 9" pot? And pick them young. Like 5-6"or so.

And yes - feed. Some do it each week - we do it daily (weakly) with a tomato feed. And try to keep humidish. Like stand the pots in moist gravel trays?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 21:52:33 »
Cor!  So you should be!!  I need  a green smiley now.  My cuces are romping away, but no sign of flowers yet, and my toms can't even think that far ahead!  Pictures????

Lillypad

• Quarter Acre
  • Harrogate
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 07:30:50 »
12 feet! :o The bedroom will be overrun!

Thanks for your advice Tim. I'll repot tonight, rig up some extra support & buy in an extra bottle of tomato feed for 'home use'.

Sorry, can't do pics as still using old fashioned camera. Still, OH & I have got as far as discussing buying a digi camera. Perhaps I'll get one for my birthday, but that's not until September, a little late for this year :-[

Lillypad

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 12:39:34 »
Advice I have had on cucumbers is not to water near the stem - it can cause rot.

I have mine in a large pot in the greenhouse with the cut off top of a plastic bottle sunk into the soil as a funnel to get the water to the roots (without pasing the stem)

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal