Author Topic: Monty Don - Sponsored by garden centres?  (Read 27469 times)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
Re: Monty Don - Sponsored by garden centres?
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2005, 12:08:36 »
.....I get the big black pots for free from a freindy guy at somerfield, they have stacks of them they chuck out from the cut flowers they display them in, I get a hot knive and cut a massive circle in the bottom and grow my toms in them, if you need to weed then you dont damage the stems........

GB,

One thing they did get right was that toms have feeding and drinking roots. If you use the bucket with holes (or better no bottom) in full of compost on gravel, the garden or the greenhouse border then put the feed in the pot and water around it.

The use of a grow bag as "a reservoir for the water" is a total waste of resources - and money.  Bring back Geoff Hamilton with his money saving ideas!!

Phil

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2005, 12:13:29 »
yep, just what my dad taught me to do.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2005, 12:14:30 »
.......you might actually learn something about gardening.....

But not much from GW, except when they get a real expert on like the woman on tomatoes - but not if interviewed by MD when most of the talk is from him - no matter how knowledgable the expert is!!!

The real advice thin and far between - to have to watch an hour of the programme to hear the idea on planting 2 crops of bush tomatoes because they crop all at once is a poor return. Place a specific question here and gets loads of good advice (and an email to tell you your question has been answered!!)

Phil

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2005, 13:51:52 »
Hello everyone,
                         I watched GW last night and I actually thought It was pretty good.
  I do wish that some of the female A4A contributors would stop making bitty comments about the female GW presenters.If It were blokes that were coming out with remarks like that,you would,quite rightly,accuse us of being sexist pigs.
  I just think that you are  being slightly hypocritical.If the women dress glamourously,you will only accuse them of being posers-or something a bit more derogatory.When they dress practically,you make cheap comments about their appearance.
  If you spent a bit less time studying the presenter's clothes and make-up etc,you might actually learn something about gardening.
  Live and let live.
     All The Best-Marky. ;D ;D ;D

Ok so now I have been accused of being 'hormonal' and 'hypocritical'.  Why just because I suggest that the presenters bother to take a little pride in their appearance?

How are my comments wrong in your opinion, when you and other male (I assume) posters can make deratory remarks about other (female) posters comments  on these boards? Is that double standards or what?

I doubt that I could learn very much about gardening from this particular programme, except as philcooper says unless they get a real expert on! Some of us are professional time served gardeners, and others have many years of experience. I know where I would rather get any gardening tips and advice that I need and it's not from Gardeners World.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2005, 14:42:37 »
Good appearance is about 10% of the story if that, or should be! It's easy to take a pride in that; why can't they take a pride in the quality of the advice on offer as well, and have a programme with substance as well as the superficials?

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2005, 15:00:51 »
 ::) I suppose you could say the same about the blonde in Groundforce tatty hair dirty finger nails no bra :o and who knows what else :o plus all that microlite or is it cellulite? ;D But so what if that’s the way they are then that’s what you get, they are gardeners for gawd sake not fashion models.

Quick where’s the door where’s the flipping door. ;D

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2005, 16:01:56 »
what ever happened to Bob flowerdue??

i seem to remember bob flowerdew being dropped from GW after he admitted that he urinated on his compost heap after drinking too much homebrewed cider ;D ;D
he's still on GQT radio4 most sundays.
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2005, 17:04:18 »
Hi all  ;D Did anyone actually learn anything new about encouraging beneficial wildlife into our gardens? I was hoping to learn more about "good" beasties -ladybirds and lacewings etc, what kind of nestboxes to put up, what we should be feeding the birds etc. I must have blinked and missed all that!  >:(  I think I was put into some kind of trance by all the shots of Monty and Bill Oddie walking round the garden, talking about wildlife, but yet I couldn't hear it because of "romantic gardening" music.  ???
Roy, never mind looking to see if a presenter is wearing a bra or not. Saw an article in Garden News re a woman who had been on a diet and lost so much weight her bras were far to big for her, so she used them to support melons growing in her greenhouse. So now you know what Charlie Dimmock is using hers for.  8)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2005, 17:18:49 »
hey merry tiller!!!
I AM ACTUALLY HORMONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my oh says the 'P' in PMT stands for PERMANENT so watch it ;)
actually i have just passed the menopause-do i get a certificate?
or at the very least a pennant for me bike. ;D.......hormonal or otherwise i think just abouteveryone is on the same track with their comments heer-and i think people should be incensed that our license fee is being sqaundered on c**p like celebrity(who ARE these people??)luuuuurve island and a gw that caters for people who would rather spend a fortune on a mature plant than wait to see it grow..and presenters that wouldnt know a money saving idea if it bit them on the a**e.
and PER-LEASE-dont tell me theres an off button...so there is-but i would like the option of watching well produced thought provoking programmes of interest...nota constant diet of celebrityism......

mutter mutter......

www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2005, 18:03:57 »
At one point we were watching so little TV that we threw it away (literally).

The licencing people hounded us and threatened us with prosecution for not paying the licence fee.   Their computer doesn't accept that people have no telly!   They wouldn't believe it!!
We gave up,  bought a small one and paid the fee again.

If the gardening programmes don't improve we may try again.

You're right:  I get far more info here than I get from TV.
Good gardening!

John

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2005, 20:59:27 »
What's wrong with weeing on your compost heap anyway? I'd have thought it was the sort of thing that should be encouraged, since it's an excellent way of recycling nutrient. I put mine in the liquid manure barrel, and I don't care who knows it.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2005, 17:49:57 »
don't understand the big problem people have with wee anyway.  It is a sterile product that lots of women drink to make their skin nice. (Have to say have a bit of a problem getting my head round that though).  I was caught short at lottie the other day and only thing in shed that I could wee in was the cup on my flask......  needless to say the floor of my shed has had nice dose of compost activator. :-[

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2005, 18:31:55 »
Wow  :o peeps are not very happy, and quite right- kitty i am laughing out loud at your hilarious comments.
What i would like to say about 'the don':
1 They are so wasteful not just with cash, but with resources- they use 10 different types of compost for things like mint- that are so vigorous you dont need it.
2 They arent really gardening- the one thing that attracted me to gardening was the fascination of such varied new life from seed- but they buy blumin expensive plants all the time.
3 Monty can be a fool, and what makes it worse is that others will pick up bad habits- for example- his chitted versus unchitted tattie trial- well of course the unchitted tatties will do better if you plant them in a black bin (opposed to shiny metal), because that will absorb more heat- so a poor experiment will stop people practicing proper gardening- john angry >:(
Amazin- tell EVERYONE at GW live how angered and disappointed i am
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2005, 23:13:05 »
Oh, I will, I will!
What's the betting that for once someone on the GW team has actually read the comments on this thread and they're hiring extra security as I write... 

Monty Don - Sponsored by Securicor?    :o

Can I just suggest a huge round of applause for Phil, who started this thread?

...clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap...
 ;D

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2005, 13:25:55 »
*clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap*

No wonder Chris Beardshaw left.  :-*

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2005, 15:52:39 »
mac-you got yer bread tin yet? ???

i actually watched gw on friday night...just for a laugh i did a mental calculation of how much he spent on the front border alone.....£100-and thats at 'ooop north prices' where everyone knows you can get 3 whippets, a barm cake and a pot of mushy peas with pigeons and still have change from a tanner.
god alone knows what it cost monty 'darn sarf'
i wasnt impressed.....
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2005, 16:02:24 »
Monty Don - wasn't he a big name in costume jewellery design in the 70's?????

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2005, 16:06:20 »
yes-they went bust and decided to be gardeners.. :o
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2005, 16:31:41 »
Yes kitty- im going to have to adapt it to fit but nae worries, thanks lots, ill sort your seeds out asap.
Thanks, john
I LOVE OP AMPS!

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2005, 16:34:09 »
ahhh...goodo-just keep an eye on yer ma-we havent got another paddle! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal