Author Topic: Monty Don - Sponsored by garden centres?  (Read 27251 times)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
Re: Monty Don - Sponsored by garden centres?
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2005, 16:27:57 »
 ;Dwardy-oh said before it staed theres a new series of ask the family-i'll switch it on-i leapt from my chair and spun the remote from his hand knocking him into the fireplace and causing our entire house to burn down and oh to file for divorce.

well...anythings better than watching that dross-!!

seriously tho-i'd watched a clip the week before and i could NOT believe it...so i said-i wouldnt bother its rubbish-i dont think i could've stood the MOANING that would have ensued for the entire week if he had watched it......

and when i say the celebrity love island trailers i said to the assembled crowd-'if ever-i mean EVER -that programme is on when i am in the room or i am forced to watch even the opening credits i will pluck both my eyes out with a warm spoon'
dumbing down?
dumbing down???????
its got so dumb its never going to recover..... ??? >:(
wheres me spade......
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2005, 16:50:47 »
thart's what the off switch is for. i really wonder whether anyone ever really watches that stuff or whether it's just another voice in the room.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2005, 21:13:27 »
If that's what the off-switch is for, then what is the licence fee for?

Now, if Celebrity Love Island is dumb TV starring dumb Zzzzzz-listers doing dumb stuff, I can refuse to watch it and boycott the dumb products advertised by it's dumb sponsors.

BUT...

If Gardener's World is badly directed, badly produced, badly scripted, badly acted, with bad camera work showing bad presenters giving bad advice, then it's MY licence fee being misused. Simply switching off is not a good enough answer.

I have watched my money being spent on things for a show garden that I could only dream of buying for my own garden. But worse than this, the other week I watched as my money was wasted on plants which, due to the presenter's sheer incompetence, died almost immediately.

And if Gardener's World is all we've got, then the BBC should call it a day and cut MY losses.

There. Rant over.    >:(

(with sincere apologies to Robert, who got caught in the crossfire here!)

Kitty - I might be your long-lost twin!  ;)
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2005, 21:37:32 »
You don't half sound a lot alike!!! ;)
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2005, 21:57:54 »
I dunno why they don't have a sensible gardening programme anyway; these instant makeover programmes must lead to a lot of disappointment when people discover that it isn't really that easy!

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2005, 00:17:36 »
rather have titchmarsh anyday, monty is a messy worker, would have no place in my greenhouse, i love to see people work with a complete passion, monty lacks this i feel. Why dont we all write into the beeb and ask for a program dedicated purely to veggie growing instead of 5 mins every friday, it would be great to get more people involved and get more children interested in to planting, growing, harvesting their own healthy veggies.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2005, 08:22:26 »
you never see me and amazin in the same room do you? ;D

couldn't have put it better meself... ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2005, 08:44:29 »
It would appear that there are a fair few of us who have problems with GW (be it the dishy Mr Don or the nasty director who stops his doing his veggy thing  :D)

But how many have complained to the BBC as I don't think they are on this board??

Phil

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2005, 10:48:58 »
We'll have to content ourselves with the BBC's allotment coverage on the Jeremy Vine show where they are in weekly contact with Terry in Wales on his allotment.  Jeremy went to visit him there recently.  I always listen to him and it's live so you can hear him marching up and down the plot getting out of breath.  It's really good  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2005, 11:32:50 »
Thank goodness it's not just me.  I can't stand the man, his semi-religious style of presenting is not my style at all, and when he describes a way of doing something, I get the feeling that if I dare to do it differently, then the Monty Don police will be round to give you a stern talking to, and all the plants will die anyway - a bit like what Delia is to cooking, but at least her recipes work!

There doesn't seem to be any joy or humour in the programme anymore the way there was when AT was presenting it, or the great practical ideas that GH used to come up with like making compost bins from old pallets - just throw shed loads of money at the garden.  How on earth can you make a formal garden with that tatty rustic fencing as a backing? and how many people can get a JCB into their garden to dig a pond big enough to sail a small boat on - get real!

I can't stand Sarah Raven either, she's in the same mould as Monty Don, and her article on tulips last week made me really annoyed, so much wrong information and generalising about a large and diverse group of bulbs.

I think the problem is that these presenters are just that, they're not time served gardeners.

It does no good complaing on the BBC boards, if the content of your post doesn't fit they just remove it.  No freedom of speech allowed unless it's praise.

I've complained but it doesn't get you anywhere, as it's a populist programme and not a real gardeners programme anymore.

Rant over - for now :)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2005, 11:55:09 »
Oh dear.

That jokey, matey banter between Monty and Joe in last week's episode was just utterly embarrassing. Stick to the gardening boys and leave the light entertainment presenting to someone else.

Seriously the producers should be fired.
gone to pot :D

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2005, 12:06:21 »
I have stopped watching it altogether now.

Lower viewing figures are probably the only thing that will make the BBC take notice - but they'll replace it with another "ground force" type show...

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2005, 12:22:17 »
those viewing figure stats are complete and utter cow muck anyway!
gone to pot :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2005, 14:04:57 »
It just shows how good AT was.  I really liked his presenting style and his obvious love of his subject was infectious.  I'm talking about him as if he was dead.  Praps he'll turn up on Celebrity Love Island  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2005, 15:25:45 »
right-now you've done it wardy-at on celebrity luuuuurve island?.......
aaaaargh!i shall be waking up in the wee small hours with the screamin heebyjeebys...
good gardener and all round affable chap maybe-sex thimble?dont think so... :o

last week was the first week i havent watched gw for .well-just about forever...didnt miss it one jot-my blood pressure was A-ok tho! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2005, 18:04:50 »
Don't know about Celebrity Love Island - is it as bad as it sounds?

This week you can always watch Big Brother instead ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2005, 18:48:35 »
o nooooooooooo!
*kthud*
sound of kitty falling backwards in a dead faint.....
not big brother AGAIN!!!!!!
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2005, 19:43:58 »
Twin! Twin! WAKE UP, KITTY!!

Did I mention I'm actually going to Gardener's World Live this year?

I'm going on press/preview day when they'll all be there filming the 'Special', so...
As a public service - nay a DUTY, I shall be more than willing to put your complaints, heckles, buckets of Kilroy; etc. to any and all of the culprits involved in the making of the show.

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2005, 19:52:58 »

whu?.....

did someone call me?.......

aargh!

TAKE ME WITH YOU TWIN!!!

we can be the tweedledee and dum...*ahem!*.....of the allotment world...
while you're there you can indeed say-kitty of lincolnshire thinks that a bit of gardening wouldn't go a miss on gardeners world...and while they are at it if they would put in the producers notes that not EVERYONE is as rich as croesus,so if they would kindly stop spending an average of £500 per programme,we'd be ever so grateful.
o and cut the matey banter-you,monty don are not my chum,never have been ,never will be.....

*pant*

*pant*
kitty flops back in her wheelbarrow exhausted.....

finished now..... ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2005, 22:05:49 »
Did I mention I'm actually going to Gardener's World Live this year?

See you under the clock
Good gardening!

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal