Author Topic: Greenhouse ventilation  (Read 1980 times)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Greenhouse ventilation
« on: May 06, 2005, 15:47:24 »
I've just about finished building a greenhouse from timber and polythene, it's about 10' x 6' and has a door at one end. Do I need to put in any extra vents or could I get away with leaving the door ajar/open in the day?
I have peppers and toms and possibly (if I can get around to it) a melon to go in there.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Greenhouse ventilation
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 18:12:41 »
If you can manage it, put in at least 2 roof vents. I would also like to see one at ground level. Sorry!!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 18:16:59 »
RotH,

The amount of ventilation recommended by lecturers at our local Horticultural College is one sixth of the ground area, so a 6 x 10 requires 10 sq ft or 3 2' x 2' panes (always best to be on the safe side)

They recommend that some of the ventilation is low down to allow a good through flow

Phil

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 18:48:04 »
No problem with ventilation today  :(
My Dad came calling to say that the greenhouse had, er, had it's maiden flight without me.
Plenty of ventilation when I got there, it was on it's side halfway down the lottie....
Not to worry, we soon (with the help of a couple others) had it back in its rightful place.   
I must have done something right, though, because apart from the door hinges, it survived it's pirouette intact.
I've just spent the last hour fixing it to the paving slabs it resides upon.
A bit more strengthening to be done tomorrow, methinks. Mainly to how the poly is fastened.   ::)

Lesson learned, I think.  And yes, I will be putting vents in. Less likelihood of it blowing away again if I can keep the door shut more often....     :)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal