Author Topic: Butter Nut Squash  (Read 8056 times)

chriszog

• Half Acre
Butter Nut Squash
« on: May 06, 2005, 08:35:00 »
Hi All,
 I am having problems with germination, tried on the boiler....too dark, didnt appear. Tried in the greenhouse.....too cold?  didnt appear.
Now have the last of the seeds on the windowsill. Still no sign after 10 days. The seeds were purchased new this season from Thompson and Morgan. Ive never grown them before and would welcome any advice
Regards
Chriszog

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Butter Nut Squash
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 09:03:23 »
Best method is to chit the seeds. With squashes and the like this means putting the seed between layers of (permanently) moist tissue and keeping them at about 20c (70F) for a couple of days. This allows the moisture to penetrate the seed which will swell slightly and start the growing process.
Push them into 3" pots using John Innes No1 compost to a depth of 3/4" and keep them at a temp of at least 18C (65F).
It takes about 5 weeks to produce a plant ready for going out so if you start now you're just about in time.
Good luck.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 09:25:19 »
I'm having trouble with mine too.  Have now put them in a heated propagator without the lid on and watered them from the bottom as they were drying out as they've been in the pots for about a week.  I have no squashes showing at all and I am beginning to worry  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 09:53:30 »
Hi all  :D
           The squash family do seem a bit problematical (what a big word ;D ) when it comes to germination, I have 3 different sorts, crown prince (courtesy of Gardeners World) , butternut, & blue kuri, I sowed them in 3 1nch peat pots with moist compost, they were put in the heated propogator  &  only half of them have germinated . A 50% rate is not very good compared to what I would normally get from other seeds.  I have now sown some more & am using a different method, these have gone into 3 inch plastic pots, covered with cling film & left on a bedroom windowsill, I will let you know how they get on ::) 

Adrian.

newchangeling

• Quarter Acre
  • No picture, no slogan, no imagination!?
    • Pumpkin Soup
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 10:23:56 »
Glad to see I'm not the only having problems with this!  So far there's not been a peep from my butternut or Turk's Turban.  No probs with Golden Apple, Jack be Little or the mystery pumpkin seeds donated by a pal down the allotments.

I'll have to try the chitting method with the last few seeds once I get home from work tonight.  Fingers crossed.

Clare
Anyone for Pumpkin Soup?

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 11:40:59 »
I grew butternut squashes last year and again this year and I haven't had any problems with the seeds germinating.  I'm afraid I can't remember what varieties they are.  Last year I planted the seeds directly outside, probably in May although I can't remember exactly (haven't got the hang of keeping an allotment diary yet!). I had them under plastic bottle cloches.  I did get some squashes on them too.
This year I planted seeds in toilet rolls about 2 weeks ago, on my windowsill, and I think they've all germinated and starting to grow their first true leaves. Will be planting them out as soon as I've finished digging a new space for them.
I actually ate the last of last years crop a couple of weeks age, so they're great for keeping.

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 15:51:45 »
I have a few different ones on windowsills at the mo (thanks DP!!!) and about half have germinated, all those on the warmer windowsill, so the ones that have erminated I've swapped with the ones that haven't fingers crossed the others will germinate too!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 15:55:36 »
Mine curbumbits all germinated at an ok rate this year.

I sowed 8 courgette seeds, 6 germinate (2 for mum). 4 out of six patty pans and two out of two butternuts. Considering the butternuts were last year's seeds but the rest were new, I don't think that's bad going.

I sowed them singly in a 24(?) module tray. In the heated prop until they'd popped through. Then I turned it off.
gone to pot :D

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 17:58:09 »
Last year, for a project that my group was running, I sowed 10 varieties of squash plus 1 marrow variety, a cucumber and a gherkin. Approx 10 seeds of each - they were in my home made propagator in the GH the min temp around 20 degrees - everyone except the butternut (which was old seed) germinated!

I'm surprised they didn't germinate on the boiler - light has nothing to do with the initial germination - maybe they were too warm/wet/dry. The chitting definitely works - with lots of plants,

This year I'm down to a total of 80 for a plant sale at the end of the month they are starting in 2 trays with 40 module dividers in each. A careful check after 4 days showed roots appearing quite well.

Phil

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 19:06:38 »
My butternut took 5 days to show,i had no problems with germinating,they are now in pots outside

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 21:45:36 »
I've never managed to germinate any T&S seeds.
Good gardening!

John

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 21:57:03 »
I'm sorry, you've never managed to germinate any what seeds?

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 16:44:18 »
What are T & S seeds??

Shoyu

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 17:49:32 »
I just bunged mine in!

I sowed them on Sunday, so I'll wait and see what happens.

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 18:48:23 »
What are T & S seeds??

Oops,  so sorry :o

I meant T & M (See Chriszog's original post).

This is my first year with squashes.
I used plastic bell cloches to warm the soil for a week,
then sowed one seed under each cloche 8 days ago.
First one germinated yesterday.

Beginners luck?
Good gardening!

John

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 19:38:24 »
my butternuts are a no show too.....got my big orange ones going.....also gherkins,melons,cucs,lemon and green.........but no squashes :( :'(
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 21:15:13 »
Do you reckon it's worth saving seed from supermarket squash.  I seem to remember that someone said they wouldn't work at all, others said they wouldn't come tru.  Now I'm confused ........
Get with the beat Baggy

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 22:16:31 »
I usually get good germination from squashes in a cold frame but neither they nor my sweet corn have done well this year. I think it's just the cold weather. I've got enough outdoor cucumbers though, I bought some pumpkin plants, and I'll buy some sweet corn in a couple of weeks. It's not how I like to do it, but no help for it.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 11:55:01 »
Baggy,

They should germinate (and grow) but the results are a bit unpredictable as they may be F1 hybrids which don't breed true or cross pollinated which make produce something brilliant (or not so brilliant).

As they are free why not live on the edge and try some - long live the sport of extreme allotmenteering!!  :D

Phil

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 12:00:42 »
my butternuts haven't germinated at all, but my other squashes have, probably a good thing, i think i got a bit carried away...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal