Author Topic: fish without tails?!  (Read 3962 times)

undercarriage plan

fish without tails?!
« on: May 05, 2005, 22:08:21 »
I have a rather strange but worrying problem going on in my pond at the moment :o I have had to fish out wo fish ( no pun intended) from my pond who seemed to have expired from tail reduction? I have been looking through the site and have come to the conclusion that the fish have been eaten alive by the tadpoles. Is this possible? The fish are about3-4 inches long (3" without tails.......). Any help greatly appreciated and really, really needed  :'( Thanks Lottie

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: fish without tails?!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 21:16:05 »
That does sound bad.
Sounds to me like a form of fin root -  so two have this problem how do the others look?
we need Margaret on this one shes the fish expert.
I have  Koi and no tadpols survie in my pool
Teresa
Try this site:
http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/finrot.htm
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 21:21:17 by teresa »

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 21:46:05 »
Thankyou Teresa  :D though i have never heard of this happening and am very doubtful.However i would certainly remove the majority of the tadpoles as they and fish do not mix anyway.I would test your water as the fin rot is far more likely to be a bacterial infection,caused by injury to the fish and the bacteria getting in.I would treat the pond asap with a good make of antibacterial  solution that mentions finrot,and keep a very close eye on your other fish ,as finrot does not happen overnight.Stop feeding and make sure your filters are in good working order as well. Most problems with fish are down to water quality,caused by overcrowding,overfeeding and lack of proper filtration.
Margaret

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 22:52:04 »
I have heard of fish eating tadpoles but not visa versa, it is spring and the male fish get very aggressive at this time of year, check to see if these fish are being chased by others, you may have to remove them if this is the case. :(

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 20:51:13 »
Thank you all. The other fish seem fine, but I have done as you said Maragret and applied treatment.  I've always had  tadpoles about, but I've never seen them as ferocious as this.  If anything falls into the pond, they go for it.  I did loose a fish to a frog last year.  The frog mounted the fish and clung so hard that its front hands (?) went into the fish's side.  Horrible way to go.  I've decided that if these fish die, I'm not going to replace them, too upsetting.  I had a gorgeous ghost koi, just been taken by heron!  Think I'm doomed.  Tadpoles in other pond, very timid and normal.  Really strange.  Lottie

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 20:59:28 »
So are you saying that you have another nature pond you can move them into? Then please do,the whole lot.It does sound also as if they need extra food,flake fish food is a good form of extra nourishment for them.Are your fish looking better with the treatment yet?
Margaret

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 21:21:29 »
Saw the little sweethearts today, and they seem fine.  Really weird. Tadpoles don't seem interested in them, but if a snail falls in, god help it.  They are so quick to start chewing!!  Lottie

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 13:11:40 »

I am reading all the old strings  soooooooo interesting  came across this one
  I have a friend who had fish taken by heron too but here is the sad part and
  I am led to believe it has happened to others too...that being due to a certain
  bacteria which is in the herons beak if the said heron has damaged any fish
  when trying to catch his supper bacteria will transfer too fish and within 12
  months you will end up with a very sick pond   :(

portway farm

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 13:33:15 »
Sounds like fin rot to me as well. Is there no tail at all or does the tail seem smaller and torn as if some one has cut it or jagged as if ripped randomly. Is there are red rusty markings on tail or fins? We have just discovered our Oranda is being bullied by our Black Moor, poor chap has already lost an eye due to pop eye and now his tail is being nibbled on. Looks like isolation tank.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 18:05:29 by portway farm »

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 21:01:50 »
The tails looked like they were eaten, messy.  But since their demise, the other fish are fine.  Have changed fish flakes, tadpoles getting legs now.  It all seems to be peaceful.  The calm before the storm.......... Lottie  ;D  ;D  ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 07:17:45 »
Only just spotted this thread Lottie.  I have never seen fish with no tails but we have fish with no eyes.................................................. we call them fsh  ;) ;D ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 08:32:49 »
 ;D Lol ;D Tee hee Mimi that cracked me up  ;D ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 23:07:46 »
Very funny!!! You'll have the FPL, after you!! ( Fish protection League)... Lottie  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal