Author Topic: Promiscuity  (Read 2391 times)

Diana

• Acre
Promiscuity
« on: May 03, 2005, 15:52:14 »
How promiscuous are pumkins.

If I want to save seed do I have to keep to growing only one variety?

If they do cross, will next year's be OK just interesting? ??? ;)
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Re: Promiscuity
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 16:55:43 »
I'm glad you asked that Diana! I was planning on saving seed from my pumpkins this year, and hadn't even thought if they would be affected by cross-pollination!
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 17:23:23 »
I know they can be a bit free + easy, but was hoping there's be someone out there who knows. Actually thought it might be you...

Are Aussie pumkin / squash very different (varieties etc)?

Think I might have gone a bit overboard this year. Still, "they're good for you"!!! ;D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 21:10:34 »
I know they can be a bit free + easy, but was hoping there's be someone out there who knows. Actually thought it might be you...

:) Chuffed that I'm thought to be knowledgeable  :) Nah, the whole pumpkin revolution thing is more about the eating than the growing  ;D ;D In Tasmania, where I'm from most people wouldn't have considered a roast complete without some roast pumpkin! Very common to have it steamed or boiled too, and you can't do without pumpkin soup in the winter!
I'm still very much on my 'L' plates when it comes to growing them though :)

Are Aussie pumkin / squash very different (varieties etc)?
Don't think I ever saw a proper 'haloween' orange skinned one until I got over here - apart from on the telly. The blue/grey skinned ones are the ones you usually get. Queensland Blue is a famous one, and the other seed I brought back with me is called Hybrid Grey Crown. Butternuts are also common, and one called 'Jap', smaller and grey-skinned again.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal