Author Topic: Rhubarb crumble  (Read 6426 times)

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
Rhubarb crumble
« on: May 02, 2005, 22:12:48 »
Picked nearly 3lbs of rhubarb yesterday - the first this year so had to make a crumble!
I chop the rhubarb and leave overnight with sugar, cinnamon and mixed spice. Sometimes throw in apple or raspberries with it.
Has anyone got any other suggestions? It's growing so fast and it would be nice to try different things with it. Might give the rhubarb wine a go too.

Lazybones

• Half Acre
Re: Rhubarb crumble
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 09:31:17 »
Caz

I sometimes put in strawberries or bananas - this means you don't have to put any sugar in.  I have to say I picked tonnes yesterday too and I was going to stew lightly in orange juice and then mix with yogurt.  Yummy. ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 09:40:08 »
I picked a load on saturday too  :)
I chopped it up, and mother-in-law made the crumble and we had it on sunday after sunday roast - Yummy  ;D ;D :P
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 17:23:55 »
I know it's been posted before but .........
stew it till it is a mush and mix with a jelly while it's still hot.  It sets like a mousse type desert and served with evap it's delish.  Mmmmmm.
Get with the beat Baggy

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 17:44:50 »
The above post reminded me of this recipe:

Rhubarb Whip

1lb rhubarb
ΒΌ pint water
4oz granulated sugar
1 raspberry jelly
7oz can evaporated milk chilled

Prepare the rhubarb and cook with the water and sugar until really soft.  Separate the jelly pieces, place in the hot rhubarb and stir until melted.  Leave until cold but not set.

Whip chilled evap so it is stiff and mixture leaves a clear trail when the whisk is lifted out.  Fold into the rhubarb and jelly mixture and divide between individual dishes or one large dish.  Leave to set and decorate as you wish.

It's a nice light summery dessert, haven't made it for ages but will have a go now, thank you for reminding me!

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 20:13:52 »
Also, it goes just as well with Mackerel as gooseberry sauces does!  Try it with pork too!   :D
Muddy Boots

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 22:41:25 »
Mmmmmm thanks for all these suggestions...keep 'em coming. Can't wait to pull up some more rhubarb so I can try them all out!  :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 23:55:16 »
What about jam?  Must be able to make jam from bubby.  I am going to hunt out a recipe!  :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 23:57:38 »
teehee - found this website!  Never going to need think of a recipe again!

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/

Old Recipe Rhubarb Jam
Ingredients:
15 c  Rhubarb, cut up
8 ea Oranges
14 c  Sugar
1 c  WalnutsProcedure:
Put oranges through food chopper. Put sugar and oranges over rhubarb and let soak overnight. Next morning cook slowly for 1 1/2 hours. Add walnuts and put in hot jars. This makes 5 to 6 quarts (5 to 6 liters). This recipe is about 50 years old.

Plottie

• Half Acre
  • MMM , Raspberries !!!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 09:30:45 »
Oooh EJ, what a find!!!! I too love my rhubarb but tend to make only crumbles with it (although there's nothing wrong with that of course!!)
But now.............ooh the possibilities..............feel another dessimation of the crop coming on  ;D
Plottie

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 12:30:33 »
teehee PLottie - that is exactly what I did today.  Came home from the plot with a huge carrier bag full.  Planning to make bubby and angelica jam, and a selection of desserts!  YUMSY!!

pebbles

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 14:17:00 »
E J ,that is a brilliant site.. my daughter has a mound of rhubarb in her new garden . they dont want it but too much for me ..  we will be trying out  the insecticide , and the freezer has plenty of room . just going to go pick some now  :)

Pegmumm

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 23:27:52 »
Something I discovered a long time ago... if you microwave the rhubarb with a bit of water, it stays sweet and you don't have to add hardly any sugar at all.
peg

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 20:48:15 »
if you can get hold of last months Good Food magazine they had several recipes

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2005, 21:33:27 »
Bob Flowerdoo has some posh recipes for rhubarb, such as champagne cocktails and trifle.  Oer.  I think at our lotty open day someone is going to be doing these.  Can't wait  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 22:41:15 »
We can never get enough crumble; it's going to be a bit short this year as I've moved my rhubarb and it's looking a little weedy. I microwave it till it boils with honey (or brown sugar if I've run out), cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg, then add topping made with porridge oats, flour, butter and either honey or sugar. Cook it in a medium oven till the liquid starts boiling out of the top.

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 22:45:34 »
mmmm hadn't thought of using honey with it...sounds nice...will give it a go  :)

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 23:52:20 »
Rhubarb crumble definately my favourite. Cant you make a relish, or compote if your posh, with it to accompany some meat dishes?

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
Rhubarb crumble
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2005, 02:06:51 »
EJ Emma Jane,

in your recipe, what's a c? surely not a cup? 15 rhubarb, 14 sugar and 1 of walnuts/procedure???

btw, I've made my first three crumbles in the last month, I am only beginning, but would like to make jam.

ta

Ciaran

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2005, 19:03:58 »
rhubarb crumble - honey wih the rhubarb, pine nuts in the crumble, mmmm, delish.

When i have a huge amount of rhubarb i make rhubarb and orange marmalade, recipe here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/rhubarbandorangejam_3576.shtml
It'll be better next year

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal