Author Topic: Feeding Birds  (Read 2967 times)

Tulipa

• Hectare
Feeding Birds
« on: April 26, 2005, 10:43:02 »
What is the best food to put out now that babies are about.?

I have sunflower hearts in my seed feeders as they are the most popular in my garden - will these be ok if given to the chicks? I don't put peanuts out for this reason.

I also have birdcakes and used to put out the RSPB peanut cakes but we have 4 crows that can demolish one in an afternoon, despite me hiding it in amongst the cherry blossom!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Feeding Birds
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 12:10:21 »
Peanuts should only be fed from a feeder, so the birds can peck off little bits, rather than feeding them whole which can choke the chicks.

I put out left over bread (wholemeal with seeds in), but I make it into crumbs first (again so the chicks don't choke).

I also put out old bits of dried fruit, old fruit cake, bits of old cheese, old suet and fat balls.

The key is variety so you have something for all the different types of birds.
gone to pot :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 15:33:40 »
My friend had some very small currants which she soaked for a bit and put those out which the robin took to the babies.  They seemed to go down well.
I came, I saw, I composted

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 20:21:35 »
Tulippa,

Right now that there is a baby boom, I put out ONLY WET bread and really well soaked mixed fruit (currants, etc).

Please do not feed the birds dry bread and this will choke the youngsters who do not drink ! 

Happy birding !
 ;) :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 00:18:50 »
We have stopped flinging our brekky left overs on the lawn for the birdies as we appear to have rattus rattus and all the little ratties living in our shed.  Don't want to encourage them any more than necessary.  So, have forked out and bought some feeders which are hanging from our trees.  Took a while, but they are scoffing them now.  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 23:11:36 »
EJ   Rats can climb trees  :o :o :o  I was walking the dog and I heard a disturbance and noise overhead and there was the biggest rat at the top of a huge oak tree.  I never knew they were that agile, and searching for food that high off the ground.  I think we underestimate the humble rat  ;D

When I walk the dog there now I keep looking up - just checking  ;D

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 23:26:18 »
 ;D  ;D  Wardy

Often see field mice having a nosh from the hanging  birdfeeders in my trees !! I reckon they're equally entitled to some supper !!   ;D
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 22:51:57 »
Rats can climb into your roof Wardy, that I know for a fact, and only to be expected really as all grey squirrels are, are rats with pretty tails! (Don't like greys in case you were wondering).

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 23:09:24 »
We've got grey squirrels too.  It's like animal farm here as I don't spray.  We've got pheasants, doves, woodies, bats, frogs, dogs, cats, horses out the back, shrews, hedgehogs,

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 01:19:56 »
Ooooh Wardy you lucky thing!

When I first moved here there didn't seem to be even a worm to be seen. Now I have plenty and more and more creepy crawlies as the months go by. I wish I had more critters though. I dream of the day when a hedgehog pays us a visit.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 08:54:58 »
Where we live is very rural and yesterday, we thought we may have a mouse of some sort indoors  :o :o
This morning, our friendly trap caught .... a field mouse which OH dutifully returned to the nearby field... ;D :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal