Author Topic: toms (again)  (Read 5771 times)

wattapain

• Half Acre
toms (again)
« on: April 27, 2005, 12:46:14 »
Here's a pic of my sweet olive toms, sown 18th feb and now ready (I hope ) to go in upended growbags for greenhouse growing & hopefully early fruits. They've already got some flowers and although they're a bit spindly, I think they'll probably be OK if buried up to their neck ( well almost) a la Ina & Tim.  ;D 8)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: toms (again)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 12:47:24 »
Wow Watta!  Lovely strong looking Tom plants there.  I planted my first 8 into upended growbags at the weekend.  Well, I needed the workspace in the greenhouse.  That's my excuse and i am sticking to it!  ;D

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 12:50:29 »
Yes Emma something like that here too  ;D

Also another pic of toms old 'n' new - some more 2 month old ones and the young ones sown on 12th April.

Exciting innit?  ;D 8)
Terri

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 13:03:13 »
Looking good ;D How many plants do you put in a grow-bag? or how close to each other if going in the ground? ;D

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 13:45:52 »
Well last year was the first time I used growbags and I put 2 to a bag , but I used those ring culture thingies as growbags are much to shallow. But this year  I'm using growbags cut in half & upended - Tim & Ina are the experts on this and that's where i got the idea - it sounds a much better way of using them.
as for distance in the ground - I think it's about 2' ish - no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong ( might well be!! ;D).
Terri  ;D 8) ;D

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 14:18:01 »
Looking good ;D How many plants do you put in a grow-bag? or how close to each other if going in the ground? ;D

For a number of years now I have used 2 grow bags stacked on top of each other. Cut the top of the bottom one and cut the bottom of the top one soil there is compost to compost contact.

I then plant the toms, 3 to a bag right to the bottom of the bottom bag. Around the tops of each plant I partially sink an old flower pot with the bottom cut out. This is then aso filled with compost. In effect the plant is then planted in compost a good few inches deeper then a couple of grow bags.

The pot rings mimic ring culture to an extent but it is not exact. I water into the main grow bags and feed from the top. It seems to get good results.

I will try and post a picture tonight of the first 3 plants in place that were plangted at the weekend.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 16:31:52 »
If using 1/2 bags, remember the very poor root spread that I had last year through uneven take-up of water.

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 17:02:47 »
OK, ignorant me:

1 - What are sweet olive tomes Watta?

2 - Just how deep can you plant toms? Is it better to earth up as they grow?

D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 17:31:44 »
Jerry, your method of two tier growbags sounds good - might try that too. I planted 2 plants in the 1/2 growbags just now & then just read your post. I've got another 2 bags and (quite) a few more toms so would love to see your pics.  ;D

Diana, that is the name of a cherry type tom variety - not tried it before but the packet says 'wonderful flavour - we love it & so will you!'. sounds good to me so thought I'd give it a go.
And according to the general consensus on this board, the deeper you plant toms, the better. Tim, Ina and Jerry are much better at explaining this than me - I'm just a beginner compared to them.
Terri   ;D 8) ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 17:33:48 by wattapain »

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 17:37:34 »
Dare I plant tomatoes outside on the lottie???? (not yet - but in a month or so - we are in Sussex!)

I always manage them with my watering system in the back garden (South facing courtyard) but haven't tried them "proper outdoors" before.

Would I be better to use growbags over soil or just growbags - or just soil?

I have totem, GD and santa F1 in unheated greenhouse and all doing well - I have a few too many GD and was hoping maybe I would get an outdoor crop????

Advice welcomed.

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 17:40:46 »
Yes Fleur , that should be fine - I always plant most of mine outdoors as I much prefer the flavour of outside ones, but of course not before end of May.
But this year I am also growinfg some in the g'house just because I'm trying to extend the season as I love tomatoes so much and hate shop bought ones.
Terri   ;D 8) ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 17:43:00 by wattapain »

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 18:40:59 »
Fleur

I've grown outside toms in both west suusex + kent (also scottish borders, but that was more necessity - what do you do when someone gives you a dozen spares + you've no greenhouse?)

GD will certainly be good for you - just watch the blight esp on lotties if neighbours have spuds!

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 18:43:49 »
Terri

Thanks for that. Hopefully one of the others will give me the benefit of their wisdom (does everyone know each other round here?)

Jerry - I'd love to see those pix too, sounds like a great solution

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 18:49:08 »
Terri

Thanks for that. Hopefully one of the others will give me the benefit of their wisdom (does everyone know each other round here?)

Jerry - I'd love to see those pix too, sounds like a great solution

Diana, although it feels like we all know each other, most of us have never met and would probably not recognise  each other on the street if we happened to be in the same  place, (unlikely seeing the wide range of places we all live). But this site is amazing and has taught me absolutely loads.
Brilliant , friendly folks - must be all that fresh air and good food that does it .  ;D ;D 8) ;D ;D
Terri

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 20:43:41 »
As promised:

That is Alicante, popped into the grow bag last weekend and sowed back at the end of Jan.

I will be groing about 15 toms inside of various varities and another 10 outside. I wont plant outside just yet, give it another 3 weeks or so as a rough guide here in Sussex.

Jerry

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 22:42:49 »
Thanks Jerry, great pics - looks like it's gonna be double deckers from now on then.  ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)
Terri

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 06:47:43 »
Looking good, Jerry!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 10:50:14 »
WSL,

Dare I plant tomatoes outside on the lottie? (not yet - but in a month or so - we are in Sussex!) I don't plant out until the danger of frost has gone, end of May in NW Hants

Would I be better to use growbags over soil or just growbags - or just soil? Growbags are great but require lots of watering - soil requires much less - if your soil is not in good nick (in the absence of FYM or compost) I would dig the contents of a growbag(s) into the soil - they will still need watering in hot dry weather, but nowhere near as much as in growbags

I have totem, GD and santa F1 in unheated greenhouse and all doing well - I have a few too many GD and was hoping maybe I would get an outdoor crop? Given a good year, I have found GD ok in the garden. Watch out for blight and apply Bordeau Mix fortnightly when it is threatened. The residue wipes of the fruit easily and doesn't penetrate the plant

Phil

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 11:49:27 »
Two questions!  Phil how do you know when blight is threatened?

Jerry    Why do you have to leave the toms in the pots but placed on top of the growbag as in your photo.  Is it just to give it more growing room?  Ta

I always grow toms outdoors as no greenhouse but always get good results without having to spray which has to be good news  :)  I have to stake them though as we live on the top of a high ridge and get real gusts  :o
I came, I saw, I composted

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 12:06:57 »
Wardy

The pots around the toms are just rings, I have cut the bottoms out of them. The plant is actually planted in the base of the lower grow bag, in effect planted deeply. The ring/pot increases the depth yet more.

As for blight, I use this site as a guide, (It is free to register):

http://www.potatocrop.com/content/home.asp

They run a service called blight watch which monitors temps and weather conditions to try and predict if blight may become a problem. Bot 100% perfect but a good guide.

Jerry

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal