Author Topic: Builder's Sacks  (Read 2869 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Builder's Sacks
« on: April 26, 2005, 15:57:49 »
I'm using one of those huge sacks from the builders merchants that they deliver sand in etc as a raised bed

I poured some water in the bottom to see if water would pass through it easily.  It did  :)  I've started filling it with household compost in the bottom then I'm going to add some compost I prepared earlier  :) and then rotting manure which is steaming away nicely in my dalek compost bin, and maybe some soil

I hope to plant some courgettes in it .  I hope it works.  I'll take a photo when I've done it
I came, I saw, I composted

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
Re: Builder's Sacks
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 16:12:08 »
Sounds like a great idea Wardy, im sure JRP will be impressed with your new recycling ways. Where do you get the sacks from? I thought they give you money back when you buy the contents and take the empty bag back, bit like the old pop bottles when i was a kid.

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 18:00:56 »
Dear Wardy,
I tried using one of these to make leaf mould in, and it worked great. The only problem is that they are made so that ultra violet light breaks them down if they are dumped in the country side, so they only just last a season before falling apart!

Brian

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 19:41:34 »
Great sacks, I use them for moving raked up leaves etc. They are bio-degradable so they do not last long, but they are very useful for composting and must be pretty good for suppressing weeds as you should be able to dig them in. Better than carpet ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 23:08:12 »
What a great idea!  I have one lurking behind my shed currently full of twigs and debris!  I will get that lot out and fill it with poo and compost to make a hot bed!  Good one Wardy!!

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 07:57:38 »
Do you reakon the sacks would work for growing Marrows?
I want to plant some marrow seeds and I have no where to put them. the sacks sound like they might be the answer. Placed in a weedie area it might kill them as well.

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 20:12:42 »
Yes I would say they will kill off the patch of weed you set it up on, and last long enough to allow the marrows to grow. I would tuck the sides down over the outside to make a double thick wall, half the height half the sack, this is still plenty of soil space, and easy to get at, plus the inner layer will be shaded from the effects of the sunlight, so should survive long enough to let you empty it without spilling all over the plot.
Good luck.
Brian

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 23:07:50 »
Good idea wardy!

See this weeks Ameteur Gardening, they have a compition in a feature about growing in bags!!!
Supernan!!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 23:26:37 »
:o I certainly wouldn't want to be on my lottie with a person with a gun :o perish the thought :o

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 07:34:25 »
Thanks Wardy for the idea with the sacks

I went and scrounged some from the local builders merchants and have filled 3 with compost and soil.
Planted Marrows in 2 and I think I might do cougetts in the other

Unless someone has some other ideas what to plant in them

ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal