Author Topic: Big Yellow Book  (Read 1346 times)

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
Big Yellow Book
« on: April 25, 2005, 09:59:31 »
The National Garden Scheme publish a Yellow Book of Gardens that we can visit throughout the Year.  How lovely it would be to have an Allotment Book where we could visit other allotment holders plots. 

I once saw a field of plots whilst traveling on a train, my fellow passenger and I went WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW.  I often have a walk around our field of plots to get some idea of what people are growing. there are no hedges, just paths in between. 

Does anyone know of plots that are open for others to view.
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Sarah-b

• Acre
Re: Big Yellow Book
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 11:16:50 »
There is a National Allotments week in August and during that week some sites have an Open Day. Ours is, so if you are in Chesham, Bucks on 14th August (think that is the date) - come along and have a guided tour!!

Sarah.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 21:29:40 »
Maybe I've been lucky, but twice I've been out on a country cycle ride ---- got chatting to somebody at a site gate, and they've been very happy for me to wander round. 

Needs quite a long conversation comparing our respective allotment sites, the right weather, and meeting somebody who's just done summat they're really proud of ;D.  Funnily enough, it helps having the kids with me, as they get so much enjoyment out of our plot.

All best - Gavin

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 21:49:21 »
I suggested an Open Day at our allotment site, but the committee turned it down.  They don't want strangers on the site even with members present,which is very unfriendly of them, but that is the way it is.  I would be very happy to show people round my plot - in fact we bore friends by asking them to come and see it.  I think it would be fascinating to visit other Sites.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal