Author Topic: My frog spawn .  (Read 14681 times)

pete10

• Half Acre
Re: My frog spawn .
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 16:39:25 »

Peachy  have tadpoles  . Checked today :)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 16:48:51 »
Thought I had lost my spawn because I'v put a new birdfeeder near the pond and a piece of fatty bread fell in causing a oily suface (very small pond) I netted a load of still black dots out so I thought that must be it I'm a murderer :'( however I spotted a few live taddies this morning so feel hopefull there will be more
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 10:02:26 »
Had one lot of very dud spawn which turned to mush, but discovered an older clump of about a dozen eggs which turned into taddies a couple of weeks ago.  About that same time my neighbour was unclogging his pond and gave me a jam jar full of spawn which has also turned into taddies

but........

I have a new pond resident - a female smooth newt -yeayh!

Now I have virtually no taddies.

Would it be worth begging a few bigger taddies from my neighbour in a couple of weeks when they are turning more into frogs?  It's great the newt has arrived, but I'd still like to keep the frog population up, it's why I dug the pond 13 month ago in the first place.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 12:14:16 »
since the arrival of our female newt,the spawn vanished without trace,im gutted!would she have eaten it??
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 12:46:41 »
Hi Elvis,  yup, she's a predator and loves to munch on tadpoles, and any other prey she can find in the pond.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 12:56:17 »
(sob sob sob) the husband will be gutted,it was he who put said newt in the pond,the pond we created just so i could have frogs. perhaps ill not tell him! she is going to have a go at his toadspawn as well then i spose?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 13:28:03 »
I can't imagine a single newt eating a whole clump of spawn or all the tadpoles in a pond. I have around 60 or so adult newts & a load of young ones which overwintered in the pond & still have vast amounts of frog & toad tadpoles.
The newts barely make a dent in the frog/toad numbers. It won't be long until the roles are reversed & the tadpoles will be eating young newts but the newt numbers still go up each year too. Just leave them to it & things should balance out as the pond becomes more established.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 14:01:17 »
thanks baccyman,feel a bit reassurred now,still doesnt explain where the spawn has gone though,would it sink for any reason? the husband has been ferreting about i there,adding new plants etc,but was very careful not to disturb it.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 14:08:14 »
Spawn often sinks then tadpoles appear a week or 2 later.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 19:24:01 »
fab baccy man,youve made my day!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 07:31:46 »
I've got a plastic box about the same size as the recycling box for glass & tins. Could I use that for a little pond. A nursery I visited yesterday had tadpoles for people to help themselves to. What else would I need to add. I've got some different sized stones & plenty of rainwater. Do I need to bury it completely.
Janet

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 08:57:31 »
I have an old Belfast sink on bricks in my yard with a few small plants in it ( it's full of rainwater, just to be clear) and a couple of tadpoles ( don't tell Barbara next door, frogs make her scream).  There is plenty of cover from plants in pots and the frogs around here cover quite a bit of ground in their wanderings so if they want to migrate across the lane to the garden later, I'm sure there will be no problem.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2009, 14:52:36 »
I've got the tadpoles. They weren't for helping yourself to but the lady let me have some, 17 in fact. They are in the container & I have put stones in it. I called at a nursery today that does water plants but he didn't have anything suitable. Any suggestions please on what I actually need. The lady who gave them to me said she puts raw mince in & they love it.
Janet

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 22:11:37 »
I once read (I think it was on here last year) that they like cat food, is that right?

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 22:20:21 »
My tadpoles really liked the dry cat food I dropped into the pond the other day.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal