Author Topic: My frog spawn .  (Read 14696 times)

pete10

• Half Acre
My frog spawn .
« on: March 14, 2009, 17:46:48 »
Hi someone kindly gave me some frog spawn for my pond .
I put it in the pond and it sunk like a stone is this normal.

Many thanks in advance. 

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: My frog spawn .
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 06:34:04 »
yes!
You couldn't make it up!

LKD

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 10:39:36 »
Mine sank too. I put it in about a week ago and haven't seen it since. Is this normal? It's a new pond (dug a few weeks ago) and I haven't had a pond before.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 23:16:22 »
That happened to me too but that very evening I went out and saw two frogs happily making more.  They've been at it again since and I now have four dollops (+ two at the bottom of the pond?).  Does frog spawn attract mating frogs because we've never had frogs or spawn before although the pond is a couple of years old?!

pete10

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 18:49:02 »

Well thats good to know fingers crossed it will be ok. :)

LKD

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 14:56:01 »
The weather was so nice on Sunday that I rolled up my sleeve and reached in to the bottom of the pond. Sure enough I could feel my frog spawn. Then yesterday I spotted that a few blobs had floated to the pond surface and that the black dots had turned into tiny wriggly black commas. Fingers crossed but it's looking promising!

Mark /\

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 23:23:59 »
Found my first lump of frog spawn this morning nearly 3 weeks later than last year.

I had nearly given up hope of getting any this year so really glad I got some. ;D

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 09:08:20 »
we just got given our first frogspawn,so exciting! havnt got any plants in the pond yet,shall i shove some lettuce leaves in there once they (hopefully)hatch?

when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 22:41:39 »
Hi elvis,
I understand that 'tadies' are veggies for some time (initially, they will survive on the spawn) Then some fish food.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 23:41:24 »
When they are small tadpoles will 'graze' the algae growing on the side of the pond, stones, plant leaves etc. They do become carnivorous and canabalistic as they grow. There is usually no need to bother to feed them. However, pieces of bread floating on the surface of the water will always attract the tadpoles.

LKD

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 17:48:53 »
Hooray! I now have a few tadpoles swimming around the pond. It shows I shouldn't have worried about whether frog spawn is on the surface or sinks. Just let nature take its course...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 21:38:14 »
3 great big bundles of spawn in ours today, amazing, when we went away on friday, nothing  ;D

Mark /\

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 20:56:00 »
I had another batch laid today in my wildlife pond about 2 weeks later than my main bigger fish pond.

the goode life

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 21:40:52 »
thanks for the information on the frog spawn. does anyone have any tips on what to feed baby newts when they are just past the polywog stage?

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 22:14:15 »
dont worry about feeding them they will find food themselves or become food  for something else :'(
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

pete10

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 11:34:28 »

Has anyone's hatched out yet . Will be going to the plot later for a look.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 12:42:37 »
Mine have and I've loads of taddies munching at the algae around the edge of the pond now, as Toadspawn said they'd do :)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 19:53:27 »
mine still not hatched,but the little black dots have changed shape and the whole lot has moved from one end of the pond to the other,thought id lost it first of all,till i spotted it in its new place,i was nearly very upset!!! amazing to think it moved itself!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

kidsspace3

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 23:07:14 »
some of mine hatched over the last couple of days.  I transferred some from another pond into my new one (yes I know you're not supposed to but the slug war is on!) and found a great pile more had been laid a few days later - I think they have a look, see some there amd decide it must be a cool spot to produce.
 ;)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 16:32:57 »
Mine have and I've loads of taddies munching at the algae around the edge of the pond now, as Toadspawn said they'd do :)

ditto

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal