Author Topic: Blanket Weed  (Read 5750 times)

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Blanket Weed
« on: April 24, 2005, 22:41:49 »
I know most of us have problems from time to time with the pesky stuff so if you do then this may be of interest.  I read in a magazine some time ago that a product called Montmorillonite Clay when added to ponds can reduce if not totally get rid of blanket weed.  I bought some approx a month ago for a tenner or so and have been adding it weekly using the recommended amount.  Over the past few days there has been a significant reduction in the amount of blanket weed in my pond - Now I'm not sure if this is just coincidence or if the stuff is actually working but if you've tried everything else as I have then this may be worth a try.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Blanket Weed
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 23:13:36 »
Does it cloud the water? reason I ask is that I bought a product (can't remember the name) that turned the water a milky colour to block the sun, seemed to do the trick but leaves dead blanket weed that rots if ignored and is toxic. :-\

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 12:12:36 »
Hi Roy,

The instructions on the tub say that the pond will turn milky for between 4 and 8 hours but from my limited experience it generally tends to be nearer 4 than 8.  I've also been adding the clay in the evenings so that by the next morning the pond has become clear again.

I do think that the pond turning slightly milky is just a minor side effect and that this in itself is not responsible for reducing the blanket weed.  I asked one of the blokes who I work with about it as he comes from a science background and after about ten minutes explaining about negative particles and toxins etc I decided I was completely baffled and that provided he said it was a benefit to the pond, which he did, then I would continue using it.

Since starting to the clay, I have noticed quite a lot of blanket weed, which has become detached from the plants/sides of the pond where it was previously - Where possible I've managed to net it and place on the compost heap.  I’m hoping that once most of it has died off then by continuing to add the clay it will stop any more re-appearing.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 13:19:57 »
Is it organic?

Might it harm my tadpoles (and other creatures)?

I have stacks of blanket weed this year. I managed to fish some out, but since the tadpoles have hatched, if I pull any weed out, I'll take a few dozen tadpoles with it.
gone to pot :D

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 14:30:19 »
Hi Tricia,

From reading the tub it sounds like some type of wonder product that enriches the life of every living organism it comes into contact with. (well all except blanket weed of course). I also did a search on it on google and it appeared under another name (Bentonite Clay) on a number of healthcare websites as a product used by people when detoxing.

I'm not sure of it's exact make up but basically its a type of mineral enriched clay with other trace elements - I suspect if its good enough for human consumption then it should be ok for tadpoles etc although I've not tried it myself as of yet :)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 21:26:49 »
I have the dreaded stuff comming back will have to look out for that clay.
thanks Anthony.
Teresa

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 03:37:06 »
Hi Tony,

Has the blanketweed returned yet? I've been googling and read that Montmorillonite Clay is recommended for koi ponds. I don't have koi, just common or garden goldfish, shubunkins and sarasa comets, so do you think this clay would be beneficial in my pond? I'd like to keep the blanketweed at bay organically if I can. Did you buy the clay online? Prices seem to vary enormously from £4.99 for 500g to £10.95 for 5g. 
The other thing is the quantities mentioned by suppliers seem to be for huge ponds. My pond is small - only about 1600 ltrs or so which makes the dosage difficult to calculate. I'd be glad of your opinion.

Tricia

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 12:40:58 »
Hi Tricia,

Yes I'm still treating on a weekly basis and thankfully it's still working.  I guess the big test will come when the temperature gets a bit warmer and there is more sunshine on the pond.  I think this is when Blanket Weed grows most vigorously.

I have various different community fish within the pond including goldfish, comets & rudd and upto now none seem to be affected by the clay.

After doing much looking around, I finished up buying on the internet from:

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/searchresults.asp?a=s&s=clay

I've also checked my old favourite ebay but it does seem quite expensive there.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57230&item=4364194820&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 14:51:38 by Anthony »

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 18:23:50 »
Anthony, I heard that barley straw was supposed to be good in preventing blanket weed and went out and bought some today.  Wish that I had read this thread first.  Is the barley straw any good  ???  ???  ??? Anyone had any experience with it??
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 19:23:39 »
Hi mimi,

It's funny you should mention that because after I posted my last reply I looked at it and regreted that I didn't mention to Tricia the fact that as well as the clay I also use an extract of barley straw which I put in the pond on a 3 weekly basis.  Now I'm not sure if it's the barley straw that is reducing the blanket weed, or the clay or more likely a combination of the two but it/they do seem to be working very well. (at the moment)

Tony

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 10:47:16 »
Thanks for the links Tony. Duly ordered.  :) Odd you should mention barley straw - I added a net of barley straw pellets just two days ago! ;D Apparently it takes about a month to have any effect, so combined with the clay I hope that blanket weed will cease to grow in my pond. I've been fishing it out and it is not a real problem yet - but I don't want to wait for it to be one!
My sulky fish decided to come back to join the others, so that is also sorted. Now for a long, warm summer and happy, contented fish - hopefully with some babies amongst them! :)

Tricia

maz

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 14:32:33 »
They do say the barley straw needs to go in before theres a prob ( says she whos only just done it  ::) )

A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 20:14:16 »
I think that it has something to do with the way the barley straw starts to rot down in the water that does the trick.  I inherited the problem in my new pond when some kind soul gave me some freeby plants from their pond.  Never mind........keep the fingers crossed for the barley straw working.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 20:48:45 »
Barley Straw has always worked with us Mimi and had our Pond many years now.

;D ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal