Author Topic: Bargains elsewhere!  (Read 2515 times)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Bargains elsewhere!
« on: April 24, 2005, 22:03:48 »
Perusing my local 99p store  - called, originally enough, The 99p Store - I found cloches 5' long x 18" deep, terracotta pots (10" dia.) and a host of wicker climber supports to name but a few of the huge range of cheap gardening items - oh, and fruit bushes (gooseberry, blackcurrant, raspberry; etc). Spring is Sprung!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
Re: Bargains elsewhere!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 08:45:47 »
sounds good amazin. Are they all 99p? It may sound a daft question but in our local pound shop I saw some sort of moss covered plant support things which looked really nice but they were £10! They did have quite a bit of cheap stuff though but no plants - worth popping in now and then though because I suppose the stock will vary in those kind of shops...

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 22:44:45 »
I know what you mean, I've been to a few of those shops where expensive items are secreted among the cheap 'n' cheerful, but no, every item in this shop, including all the things I mentioned, are a measly 99p. I also bought some seeds -  a pack of 6 assorted herbs, and another of 6 exotic climbers (although it included nasturtiums, which I thought was pushing it a bit). Unfortunately the shop don't supply spare windowsills (yet!) so I don't know where I'm going to germinate them!
Lesson for life:

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 22:48:27 »
I could really do with some 'spare windowsills' if they do get some  ;D  ;)  :D

bear

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 22:52:00 »
Is your 99p store part of a chain or on its own? There's a 99p store in Brighton but I can't get down there until the weekend to see if they have the same sort of bargains.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 01:08:03 »
I think it might be part of a new chain - something about the look of it. I thought their gardening stuff was really terrific. The items I bought are the kind of thing I'd look at in a garden centre but wouldn't buy as the prices would take me over budget, Take the cloche for example -  I've never used one before and don't know if it would work for me, but at 99p I can give it a go without losing sleep.
Lesson for life:

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 06:59:11 »
There seems to be more and more of this type of store accross the country. Must sell plenty! ;D
Chris Pea

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 09:29:56 »
I hope we get a 99p shop  near us - sounds great. Its not so bad trying something and it not working out if you've only invested 99p. Mind you would pay big money for spare windowsills :). I have now taken over the dining room table and the breakfast bar thing in the kitchen - son loves it now as all meals are taken in front of the TV. Dogs also very happy as they take every opportunity to beg, and even steal at meal times - still its good for my diet I suppose...

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 11:16:45 »
I've managed to find 24x 3" pots in a black tray for potting out for £2, hanging basket liner, a metal arch 3^, (I've got to do something with the rose to make it look pretty!) and 18' pots for £150 at Pomndstretcher and Kwik save.
Am on a mission later on will let you know of any more.

Jo

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 11:53:54 »
Jo, £150 seems quite steep to me  :o ;D it's amazing the difference the lack of a full stop makes ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 11:56:18 by ani »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 13:25:36 »
Jo, £150 seems quite steep to me  :o ;D it's amazing the difference the lack of a full stop makes ;D

Not for an 18ft pot it isn't ;D

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 13:55:43 »
Ok ok, I know I can't type! and yes my short hand is shocking too!
I'm off to see if I can find any other bargains for large pots. I'm a newbie to growing your own but  have got about 100 tomato plants going but need to pot up about another 50!!
Then I'll have find somewhere to put them all!

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 14:02:14 »
100! I hope you love tomatoes....for breakfast, lunch and supper! ;D
Ask at your local supermarket for their flower buckets, some places give them for free then make a few holes in the bottom.

micsmum

• Half Acre
  • Gottie Lottie Now!
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 15:37:54 »
 :P :P Don't get NUFFINK for 99p in Guildford!!!! ::)

Helen

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 22:46:47 »
Jo - I've got a few of those 3"multipot trays for £2 from Poundstretcher as well - great for potting up seedlings. Another good shop for cheap gardening stuff - and they're doing a 'three for the price of two' deal on packs of 15 (I think) onions.
Now if only people round here were to start dumping their unwanted plants in skips, I'd be in heaven! Not that I'm tight, you understand, but my money is...!
Lesson for life:

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 10:38:28 »
....but need to pot up about another 50!!....

I made my own bottomless pots from roofing felt - just cut a strip the width that you want the pots deep and just about 3½ times the diameter long. Then staple the thing at top and bottom - as many staples as you can and a long armed stapler helps.

These last several seasons and as the felt was left over they are free (better than £150!!!0  ;)

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal