Author Topic: Greenhouse Shading  (Read 9658 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Greenhouse Shading
« on: April 24, 2005, 10:30:41 »
Well the time has nearly arrived when i will have to sort out summer shading for my new greenhouse. Thing is there seem to be all sort s of different ways and materials I am not sure what to do.

I was thinking about whitewash/shading paint (if there is such a thing), this being perhaps the easier method as it can be cleaned off easily at the end of the summer.

If a 'wash' or paint for the glass is the best option, what do i use and where can i get it from?

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Greenhouse Shading
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 10:51:57 »
Go to your ary surplus store and buy a camoflage net, they last for years.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 20:47:57 »
Whitewash is a pain to remove unless you can jetwash it off

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 22:42:05 »
heritage: wouldnt camo net cut out TOO much light to the greenhouse?

Merry Tiller: I do have a pressure washer, but surely there are other 'paint on' shading products that are easier to clean off? Of course the shading wash has to stick to a certain extent - otherwise it would wash off in the next rain shower!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 23:53:54 »
If you find one that's easy to remove please let me know

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 00:15:55 »
I have seen people plant things next to their greenhouse to provide shading.  I have tried this with runner beans, quite succesful, and spuashes, also quite successful, but I now use an old sheet suspended from the roof on bamboos and pegged along the sloping framwork.  Easy-ish to put up, easy peasy to take down to replace with bubble wrap!  You will be amazed at how hot your greenhouse gets in the noon day sun, mid August Richard.  I have had big strong plants whither and die in just a few hours!  And if there are any water driplets on your foliage...well, you can imagine!

I am planning to send Ava to the army surplus shop for netting for the lottie to keep the pigeons off my brassicas this year.   ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 06:42:52 »
Difficult one.
To my mind, there are many more days when your plants need all the light they can get, than there are when it's scorching hot.

So, you need something that can quickly & easily be put in place & removed.
But this is obviously a problem if your 'house is on your allotment.

Assuming that it is not, this is what I use. Semi-stiff windbreak. It takes 20 seconds to unroll it over the roof - or just roll it back again. And it's everlasting.

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 07:29:01 »
Tim

How do you secure it?

Thanks
Chris Pea

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 08:06:22 »
Being a wooden frame, I have 4 nailheads that it hooks over.

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 08:30:46 »
Gosh, Tim thats an impressive looking garden and greenhouse :)
Is that at home or on the lottie? What month was that pic taken?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 08:38:04 »
I have not found a problem with too much shading using camo net, but I have ropes on each corner for tying down and they are useful for pulling the net up and down to vary the shade. When the nets are pulled right over it is like a shady glade.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 09:20:38 »
I use an old bamboo blind we no longer use, and have in the past used those beach type grass mats, they work too!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 09:35:25 »
2 July, Ani.

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 09:45:16 »
With such a small garden, shading is provided when I hang the washing out.  I also have one of those greenhouse that have the plastic ridge windows which defuses the light.  What with that and the washing it's a wonder I can grow anything !!!!!!!!!  I need a bigger garden and a larger greenhouses.  Wouldn't risk having a greenhouse on the Lottie.  Lovely place you've got there Tim.
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 10:15:52 »
PS Ani - it's at home. My allotment days are over!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 10:57:06 »
hmm, some intersting ideas there, but not sure if i am any the wiser!  That said perhaps some neting would be the best bet. The problem would be securing it. Its an aluminium frame so i cant 'do a tim', and it can get windy in my garden so it would have to be secured well to stop it taking a trip into the neighbours garden!!

BTW EJ, i think shading is supposed to go on the outside not the inside - if on the inside it acts like insulation.

Thanks to all.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 11:00:09 »
I have simply hung fleece up inside the greenhouse to protect things such as cucumbers but generally do not use shade too much in the main house as it is shaded by a tree for a couple of hours from about 10am in the summer.

I use this trick in the plastic houses as well, these get more direct sun for longer. For toms, peppers, chillies, aubergines I dont both with shade and they seem fine.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 11:03:49 »
I have simply hung fleece up inside the greenhouse to protect things such as cucumbers but generally do not use shade too much in the main house as it is shaded by a tree for a couple of hours from about 10am in the summer.

I use this trick in the plastic houses as well, these get more direct sun for longer. For toms, peppers, chillies, aubergines I dont both with shade and they seem fine.

Jerry

I found that too with my mini houses. They seem to be self regulating somehow.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 00:09:16 »
The problem would be securing it. Its an aluminium frame so i cant 'do a tim', and it can get windy in my garden so it would have to be secured well to stop it taking a trip into the neighbours garden!!

Electric drill & lengths of wire for the net, make youself a nice net curtain

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 11:01:14 »
The problem would be securing it. Its an aluminium frame so i cant 'do a tim', and it can get windy in my garden so it would have to be secured well to stop it taking a trip into the neighbours garden!!

Electric drill & lengths of wire for the net, make youself a nice net curtain

;D ;D ;D Nice idea that MT. Might try it. However i hope you dont mean drilling the GH frame?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal