Author Topic: Scarecrows  (Read 2752 times)

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
Scarecrows
« on: April 24, 2005, 17:22:15 »
I was thinking of putting up a Scarecrow on my Lottie.  I was listening to a story told by my neighbouring lottie owner, that some years ago someone put a Scarecrow in the allotments and another lottie owner seeing this from his house in the distance, went running up to the site thinking that someone was pinching the produce. ::)

I like the idea of an old fashioned Scarecrow and wonder if anyone uses them and can show any photo's to give me some ideas.
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Andy H

• Hectare
Re: Scarecrows
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 17:47:38 »
CD`s dangling down on string works well........

Especially if the CD is Des O`Conner :o

johcharly

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 19:42:03 »
Not The Byrds then?

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 21:20:37 »
bring back the scare crow
i work on quite a lot off farms as a pest controler and in one off the barns on one farm it is quite dark as in most barns and there is a scare crow hanging by a noose in the corner and buy heck it made me jump the first time i saw it
Dam farmers sense off humour
you got to love them
hummmmmm  ;)

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 23:35:33 »
Our new site has an annual scarecrow competition :) :) :)

Kids are all busy planning how to win (shhh - this involves knobbling the others, so far :(  )

All best - Gavin

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 09:40:05 »
My son made one.

We used old stocks of plastic carrier bags (seemed to have hundreds of them in the house).

He used four of my flesh tone stockings for arms and legs and stuffed them with plastic bags. Most attractive. The body was made of two larger bags stuffed with bags and taped together onto a coat hanger.
Then the arms and legs were tied on using the stocking tops!!!

Then he was dressed in an old black mac, PJ bottoms and socks.

His head (stuck through the top of the coathanger) is an old washing tablet box covered with parcel tape (skin tone)  and his hair is an old afro wig which my son had in a fancy dress box.

The scarecrow has hands made of fingers and thumbs of plastic spoons (stuck through the stocking ends) - these rattle in the wind.

We also tied some shiny wrapping paper as cuffs to reflect the light - and also some shiny wrapping ribbon around the clothes.

He hangs from an 8ft high bean pole and blows around in the wind making a plastic bag rustling noise.

He scares the allotment owners - SO FAR no bird damage - but I think you have to keep moving them around.

Hope this is of use. I will try to find a photo.

Fleur

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 09:52:23 »
Thanks Fleur

Sounds like a great Scarecrow.  You're right they do need moving around.  I was thinking of being a little adventurous and making mine bendable so that it looks as though it is weeding or digging. Perhaps a bit too adventurous!!  I like the idea of a Scarecrow competition but I don't think that the other Lottie owners will be interested.
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 10:10:19 »
Thanks Fleur

Sounds like a great Scarecrow. You're right they do need moving around. I was thinking of being a little adventurous and making mine bendable so that it looks as though it is weeding or digging. Perhaps a bit too adventurous!! I like the idea of a Scarecrow competition but I don't think that the other Lottie owners will be interested.

You'd be surprised. There seems to be a sudden interest at ours (combined with an influx of new folk with young families).  I put a photo up a few weeks ago of three that had appeared on the plots: http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,7858.0.html
they're still there and now we've another one on another plot which looks like a womble! And even better, the tenants' meeting we had thought that it was a good idea to run a competition.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 11:01:23 »
http://img235.echo.cx/img235/1781/image1647gj.jpg

This SHOULD show Bill - our scarecrow - as described earlier.

But I am not very techie and it might not work.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 11:17:31 »
WSL, you need to move the [/img] tag to the end of the url address, then it will show :)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 11:18:47 »
enclose the link within the (img) and (/img) tags and it'll work.

You might want to reduce the size of your picture though, for those folks without broadband.

I am considering making a scarecrow for our plot, as there are one or two on our site and they do look good. Maybe the next time we have a clothes clear-out for Oxfam I'll nab a few suitable garments!

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 13:38:34 »
My daughter has made a scare Xmas Tree out of old twigs, bailer twine and the odd CD. It was going to a scare crow but the paper stuffed tights fell off -and she became more interested decorating the tree ;D

Jeremy

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 19:00:33 »
His head (stuck through the top of the coathanger) is an old washing tablet box covered with parcel tape (skin tone)  and his hair is an old afro wig

Golly! careful you don`t breach robinsons copyright ;D

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 19:41:28 »
At nearly 8 ft tall he also really stands out!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal