Author Topic: Help! Baby wood mouse  (Read 2788 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Help! Baby wood mouse
« on: April 24, 2005, 20:02:08 »
A few hours ago my naughty cat caught a baby wood mouse. I've rescued it and apart from a small cut above its eye it seems fine.  I've currently got it in an old fish tank with shredded paper, water and seeds.  My instinct is to set it free at dusk next to the ivy where it was caught.  Any thoughts?

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Marianne

• Hectare
Re: Help! Baby wood mouse
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 20:21:56 »
Hi Georgie,
Well done on rescuing the little fellow.  I do not know anything about wood mice and wonder whether they are fed by their mother/parents  ???

How soon after that do they become independent?
I would be tempted to "let it go" and see IF it wants to go, of course making sure Mr Cat is not around!
Good luck !
 :D ;)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 20:22:47 »
Oh yes, I would set it free Georgie.  It would be the kindest thing to do  :o :o :o

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 20:25:29 »
Oh, it could be a fully grown one for all I know.  It's about the size of a squash ball I'd say and it has already eaten some of the food I put out so it's weaned. 

I'm just off to let it go now the cats have all settled down for a while.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 20:26:57 »
Excellent news Georgie !   ;D :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 20:57:05 »
Right, I've set it free and it had a good old scamper around before it disappeared under the ivy.  My good deed for the day.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

G xx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal