Author Topic: Why I don't make bread.  (Read 8908 times)

pebbles

• Not So New ...
Re: Why I don't make bread.
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2005, 09:49:41 »
I ws reading this with great interest ... hand made bread is great but for me the time element defeats me .. So rather than go without , I now have a breadmaker, and the only problem is the time to make enough ..like said before it disappears before it has been around for long :)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2005, 05:24:39 »
Tim I am a great Yeast fan.

It is of the brewers type though. I used to mash ale and the yeast used to impart a very uniqe taste to the final brew. I miss the days of the bottle conditioned beers with the sediment at the bottom. You can reactivate that and grow your own proffesional brewers yeast. Thats what I used to do :D It makes a real difference to the ale!

Anyway back to bread. I love bread especially home baked. The thing that is stopping me is nothing. It is just the scosiaty we live in now it is all convenience and time saving stuff. Life is guvened by time, money, and business and fast fatty festering food from takeaways and burger places. OK people work all week but hey I work as well but I still cook ma tea for me and my parents (mum and dad). I dont find it a chore I quite enjoy it. WE eat healthly. Plenty of greens and salad! Cannot beat it! I also like chips :D

Hey Tim cut a long story short Good loaf and keep up the good work. If we get into a crisis you will not be short of bread. Not need to go down to ya supermarket and fight for the last loaf LOL :D

Be kind to slugs and snails!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2005, 09:38:46 »
Yes - we used to make our own beer. Trouble was, folk learnt about it & drank us out of house & home!

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2005, 17:25:26 »
My mum has a breadmaker but lost the paddle for kneading the bread- i think she must of thrown it out by accident :-\. But a new one costs about 40 quid!!! :o So no more home baked bread :(
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Carrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2005, 14:21:17 »
A friend of a friend has just set up a part time business baking bread just a few local deliveries at the moment but he is going to be selling at the Peckham Farmers market soon He uses fruit and beer as a leaven - anyway we got our first delivery yesterday and had some with lunch today. The girls both thought it was the best bread that they had tasted (better than my own home made bricks) and Rachel, having seen Tim's post earlier, thought Tim had made it especially for us ;D

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2005, 03:27:30 »
Hi NattyEm,
                  On my first attempts at bread making using the Prima bread maker I had the same problem but got wise to the fact that once the kneeding cycle is done you don't need the paddle. ;)

So what I do now is, at the end of the kneeding cycle I remove the paddle and coat the container with a film of olive oil(so that the bread does not adhere to the sides)put the dough back in and replace the container in the machine. ;D

PS:- If you want a sesame seed coating on your bread put some seed in a plastic bowl wet your hands and slap the dough about in your hands then dunk the dough into the seeds until the dough has been covered in seed.
You do this at the same time as reomval of the paddle, it gives an authentic look to your bread. ;D

PREMTAL

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2005, 09:13:06 »
i make my own bread, mostly totally by hand but if i don't have time (its not the 5 minutes kneading but also the clearing up!) then i bung the stuff in the breadmaker for it to knead then prove and bake as normal in the oven.

lazy but effective!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal