Author Topic: Companion Planting  (Read 6365 times)

westsussexlottie

• Acre
Re: Companion Planting
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2005, 10:21:07 »
you will probably find that he sprays everything with chemicals and the bugs migrate to your plots.
I hope not for your sake.

I hope he doesn't just exploit the soil for a couple of seasons and then leave real gardeners to sort it out!

Growing veg for profit/sale is AGAINST the laws of our council allotments - isn't it one of yours?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 14:05:58 »
Nah, they'd sell the lot off to developers if they had half a chance.  The lotty society say there are no plots left for newbies so I said what about all that lot (there was a tractor going back and forth all day ploughing it up - took the hedges out too  >:()  I think we should be able to let newbies have some of that but my suggestion didn't go down very well.  We are having an open day soon so if we get anyone wanting allotments it will be interesting to see what happens
I came, I saw, I composted

johcharly

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2005, 15:47:37 »
You coul always prune the rosemary and throw the clippings around your carrots. That way you would not have to move your shrub around too much.

I wonder if watering the carrots with a Rosemary and Garlic infusion might deter the little swines

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2005, 23:07:33 »
Sounds like worth a try.  I tried to fleece my carrots today (gale blowing again)..   I swear that everytime I get out the fleece a force 10 develops instantly and I end up wearing it.  I'm fed up with the b.......g stuff.  Carrot fly do your worst!    I have planted onion sets and some spring onions alongside the carrot rows as a deterrent so we'll see if it works. 

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2005, 23:21:01 »
I tried to fleece my carrots today (gale blowing again)..   I swear that everytime I get out the fleece a force 10 develops instantly and I end up wearing it.

;D I know how you feel Wardy ;D I was doing the same with my fleece today and ended up looking like I was a bride getting married :-[ ;D Tee hee ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2005, 12:01:23 »
Roy   It drives me mad and I get into a right temper.  While I was grappling with the fleece the dog was whining and barking too as he was tied up (little s o d) so I gave up and went home.  Been back this am and still blowing a gale so carrots will have to fend for themselves.  No sign of germination yet  :(

Me and the dog  went back this am and had to take cover in our fairly new second hand shed (yippee I love my shed).  My OH has put me a worktop in (only a bit but what the heck) and I potted up some gazanias and sowed some more squash seeds (ta Loz).  My OH has also rigged up an old plastic barrel and it had loads of water in it so I was able to water without going miles to the pipe  :)  Spuds are sprouting right left and centre so very happy despite the cold.  Lidl marigolds for companion planting in growing strongly so hopefully soon my allotment will have veggies (and no nasties) for the first time in years  :)

I digress, sorry  :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2005, 22:30:22 »
Fleece your carrots, that's what I am doing.  But like you Wardy and Roy, as soon as I touch it, the wind whips up, and today I was trying to get netting over my broadbeans!  OMG who makes that stuff??  Do they get a kick out of tying it in knots before neatly packaging it in boxes  GGGRR!!!

On the companion planting score - I have sweetpeas with my runners and frenchies to try and encourage lots more buzzy things, I have nastusiums to encourage the black fly away from my broadies, and marigolds in the garden, just cos I likes them!  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2005, 17:00:23 »
EJ    I grew those dwarf Alaska nasturtiums last year and they were lovely.  Easy to control as they didn't sprawl all over the shop and really pretty.  Look fab in the veg plot and have the added bonus of attracting all the nasties off your best produce  ;D

Sorry to hear of your fleece/netting woes.  We'll have to start an "agony" thread  ;D ;D

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2005, 06:40:45 »
Best tip for carrot fly

Sow late carrots inbetween Things like peas or runner beans. Something that creates a barrier around the crop. Carrot fly can only fly inches from the ground!
Be kind to slugs and snails!

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2005, 23:07:25 »
last year I planted African marigolds in with my tomatoes in the greenhouse, not one aphid!

Hi Supernan - my understanding is that marigolds attract hoverflies and hoverflies eat aphids! ;D

Art

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2005, 23:11:04 »
I'm sorry, but I will NEVER try growing mint with my brassicas, nor rhubarb with my parsley!  Or vice versa for that matter.  

I read on the internet that growing the natural fertiliser clover (rich in nitrogen) with brassicas hides their scent and keeps their pests away.  I'm giving it a go!

Art

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2005, 00:56:24 »
I have a very useful book entitled "Companion Planting" which I obtained from my local Wilkos.   It's full of useful info on what flowers, herbs & veg to well together & those which are less successful.

Will post it's full title & auther when able to get my hands on it.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal