Author Topic: Full greenhouse  (Read 2999 times)

Bun

• Half Acre
Full greenhouse
« on: April 20, 2005, 16:25:05 »
What can I leave outside now, 'cos it's getting so I can't work any more!
Onion sets
onionseedlings
leeks
sunflowers
sweet peas
brocolli seedlings
cabbage seedlings

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Full greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 17:43:41 »
You don't say where you are? But what are onion sets doing out of the ground??

Don't know about flowers, but the rest - yes. Give them a bit of protection for a day or 2 if they've been raised in heat.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 19:11:32 »
What can I leave outside now, 'cos it's getting so I can't work any more!
Onion sets
onionseedlings
leeks
sunflowers
sweet peas
brocolli seedlings
cabbage seedlings

Onion sets need to be in the ground ASAP, they will also be fine as they are tough as old boots.

Harden off anything started in warmth by putting out during the day ins a sheltered and not too sunny spot. Onions and Leeks should be fine.

I would not plant sun flowers out to final spot yet but they can go out in the day. Give it another 2 or 3 weeks to be safe.

I have had my autumn sown sweet peas outside for a few weeks now but fleece if a frost or near frost is forecast.

Broccolli and cabbage should be OK once hardened off over a week or so. Mine are in a cold frame at night and will be planted out in 2 weeks time as an estimate.

And that is all based on me being in Sussex and in a bit of a frost pocket.

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 19:19:36 »
I wouldn't be so concerned about your sunflowers in terms of hardiness.  More like are they big enough yet to put up a fight against the slugs?

I always do my sunflowers in rather large pots and leave them until the stems are "hairy" and therefore not nice for the slugs to chomp on. That's my yardstick for whether they go out or not.
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 22:59:11 »
You don't say where you are? But what are onion sets doing out of the ground??

I'm in Essex. I thought I'd try getting a head start on them in modules 'cos our lottie isn't ready for them to go in yet. :)

Thanks for all the advice.  ;D

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 06:53:19 »
 :) Oo Bun are we neighbours? I am in Essex too, near Colchester.

Get a pallet or any other thingy to raise plants off the ground. Buy that fleece stuff and cover over night.

I have had to make another greenhouse out of my metal walk in market stall (its too wet to do boot fairs anyway) and two sheets of 19x6 plastic sheet, market stall super large pegs, one roll of duck tape and a lot of prayers for no hurricanes. Now thats nearly full too. And there are still loads of seedlings to pot up.
Supernan!!

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 08:25:36 »
Hi Supernan, I'm in Harlow.  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 23:58:49 »
Well I'm near Chelsmford and I have all of my onions in, leeks going in tomorrow, brassicas are all in with more to go in tomorrow.  Sweetpeas have been hurtling up the trellis and canes now for about 6 weeks in the garden.  Sunflowers are fast outgrowing the greenhouse, but the first week of May is my tender planting out time so they will end up in the garden or plot around then.  I have things growings in my garden which are reputed to be very tender, and they have been evergreen winter long!

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 23:36:57 »
I have been thinking about extra shelving for small plants on the walls of my greenhouse to free up space on the staging for trays and larger specimens. 

Looking at the website for the company that produced my greenhouse, they want nearly 30 knicker of a 4' aluminium shelf.  Sod that - I bought light aluminium shelf brackets for just over a quid each at B&Q, to which I have added a couple more holes for fitting wooden slats and BINGO really cheap shelves.  Oh and the slim bolts that fit into the framework of my greenhouse are sold relatively cheaply at a local nursery. ;D

Art

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 10:11:22 »
Art,

Any more of that subversive sort of stuff could bring the capitalist system (and the Western world) to its knees  ;)

I agree that the prices of greenhouse accessories is ridiculous, especially the "special offers" they sometimes come up with.

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal