Author Topic: Rough weather and pots.  (Read 1573 times)

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
Rough weather and pots.
« on: September 09, 2005, 04:18:50 »
Hi everyone. 

It is supposed to be spring here but we have had rough weather all week.  Lots of wind, overcast most of the time and heavy downpours just a couple of times a day.  The rest of the day is dry but still windy.

Well I just went outside to check my vege patch today (I am working from home today) and I had a shock when I saw my potted plants that I have amongst my vege patch.  They are bone dry.  My watercress that sits in a saucer of water had dry soil and it's leaves have been shattered and withered. :'(  It was doing so well- I have been filling up the saucer every weekend.  The same with my arthritis plant and cineriar (sp) plants.  I thought the rain would have watered them enough or is it the wind that has caused most of the damage?

But my strawberries in pots are doing fine and so is my parsley and tansy.

My 'moses in the cradle' plants (in the ground) have had their strappy leaves stripped off and are strewn amongst the seedlings.

Is it the 'type' of plant that has suffered this weather?  Shouldn't they be in pots?

All my other veges in the ground are doing fine.  Except the leaves on the dill are starting to turn red in colour.

My OH is going to really think I've flipped when he sees that I have brought them indoors!!

Any responses would be greatly appreciated as I am in a bit of a panic at the moment.  We leave near the coast and it is ALWAYS windy.  But my vege patch is surrounded by retaining walls so I thought it would be protected... :(

Anna
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Rough weather and pots.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 10:10:52 »
Anything with flimsy leaves, like lettuce, or watercress, will suffer in wind, which will dehydrate them and dry the soil in the pots out. Pots are OK but you must water them even if it has been raining.
Every weekend is not enough - every day more like! ;D
Also the size of the pot matters, larger ones can naturally hold more water, and the mix of compost used. Clay based composts are best for retaining water.
Erecting a cloche made with horticultural fleece or old net curtains will offer some wind protection, or you can use netting fences if you are growing on a large scale.
Don't recognise the other plants you speak of: arthritis plant and cineriar (sp) so can't help.

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 10:27:54 »
Thanks Jennym

My lettuce in the ground is doing very well regardless of the wind.  :)

The potted plants are in large ceramic pots that have had potting mix and a bit of osmocote added when they were planted.  They were doing really well up to this week.

Even when I checked them on the weekends there still was water in the watercress saucer.

Today I watered the watercress indoors and filled the saucer and after a few hours ALL the water had been adsorbed.  It's amazing how the soil dries out so much.

Also 2 of the soil in the pots feel dry and spongy. What does that mean?

Thanks
Anna  :)

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 16:54:00 »
Plants recovered well indoors.  (No comment from OH).  But the watercress needs a bit more TLC. 

Have put them outside again now that the storm is over and see how it goes.  Yes the saucers need filling up with water EVERY DAY!

Jennym the arthritis plant is pennywort.  Quite a pretty plant. Grows like mad and needs to be contained.

Anna :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal