Author Topic: email campaign to save our lotties  (Read 19631 times)

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
email campaign to save our lotties
« on: April 19, 2005, 15:45:36 »
this is the email contact for richard harries, the archbishop of oxford. if anyone from here feels inclined to email him re our lotties (see post Portable lottie) I would be very grateful.

Briefly: We are squatting cos till 2wks ago we didn't know who owned land - first ccontact with owners (church) was when land agent told us to get off cos the church doesn't want lotties there they want to develop it.
 Been emailing all over but today carter jonas, land agent put notice up admitting they are in charge of lottie, and when i spoke to them they said I was trespassing by putting up a sign (on public path I think) saying SAVE our allotment - now they won't tell me what they want to do with land. We would like some security of tenure, even a year on year lease till they finallly get planning permission to ruin the land (don;t think it is even in). Harangue the Bishop please!!! I've been in contact with Ian James, helen james at the glebe committee and uncle tom cobley and all!

http://www.oxford.anglican.org/contact.php?id=18
I will finish it, one day

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
Re: email campaign to save our lotties
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 16:09:25 »
Hi,

Just sent him an e-mail as a fellow allotmenteer asking him to use his influence to maintain this vital facility within the community - well words to that general effect anyway!

Hope it helps. Have you spoken to local press/radio/MP?
Good luck.
Caz

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 16:19:14 »
As a fellow resident of Oxford (and renter of an allotment in Oxford!), I'm more than happy to send an email too, but could someone help me with wording? Want to help, but have no idea what to say  :-[ ???
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 16:52:31 »
this is a fantastic board! I work for the press in Oxford and we are doing a story this week on it - my colleague wants to put it on the front page, but until they bring in the bulldozers or start trashing our lotties we'll hold off. thanks for your help

My suggested words would be something like:
As an allotment holder in ?? I would be grateful if you could use your influence to prevent development of land in skimmingdish lane, bicester. It is believed this allotment has been there for many years and with the renewed interest in the environment and organic gardening, it could be a real asset to the church locally, rather than becoming another identikit business estate - of which Bicester already has many!
The town council has no allotment space so it could surely become viable allotment space once again for those of us with green fingers, and would surely help the church's environmental strategy more than selling green land for building?

it's not what I wrote, in fact I think it sounds better than my mad ramblings to him earlier. I'd appreciate a note on here to say you have emailed so I can try to gauge how many he gets!!

Fat Larry

johcharly

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 17:12:48 »
just done it mate, hope it works.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 17:24:56 »
Me too F.L  Best of luck. ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 19:18:21 »
Hi Larry,

This is the wording from the email I just sent,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dear Sir,

As a relative newcomer to allotment gardening I would like to add my voice to those calling for sensitive development of land in Skimmingdish lane, Bicester.

As you may know, members of your community are seeking to obtain security of tenure on land for allotments at least from planting season to harvest time. There is a proven need for this in the area which lacks sufficient provision whereby people might provide themselves and their families with a healthy lifestyle raising food and flowers whilst protecting the local environment for future generations.

So what has this to do with me in Norwich and you as a busy Archbishop in Oxfordshire? I feel that if insensitive development goes ahead in this area then my own small plot (like many others I have no garden or outdoor space at home) is equally at risk at any time in the future. I fear a domino effect and the destruction of my plot too. I know that the people in Bicester are living with the day to day burden of these fears becoming reality. Simply - if a sense of community is lost in one area of the country then my own community is weakened too.

Please, as a matter of urgency find time in your busy schedule to acquaint yourself with the facts of this case and discuss these concerns with your colleagues. I am sure that there is nothing here against the Churches environmental and social policies and that the needs of your community can be addressed.

yours sincerely,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I hope it meets your needs,

Best of luck, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 19:19:31 »
and me

MM

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 21:00:59 »
here we go i have done my best sorry if it is a bit rubbish and the same as any one else
hope it works

As an allotment holder in Preston, I would be grateful if you could use your influence to prevent development of land in skimmingdish lane, bicester. It is believed this allotment has been there for many years and with the renewed interest in the environment and organic gardening, it could be a real asset to the church locally, rather than becoming another identikit business estate - of which Bicester already has many!
The town council has no allotment space so it could surely become viable allotment space once again for those of us with green fingers, and would surely help the church's environmental strategy more than selling green land for building?
i am looking forwad to your reply
Matthew Greenhalgh
Preston lancashire

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 07:21:46 »
Shamelessly plagiarised and adapted from the above:

"Your Grace
As an allotment holder in Somerset (and former resident of Oxfordshire), I should be grateful if you could use your influence to prevent development of land in Skimmingdish Lane, Bicester which, I understand, has been in use as allotments for many years, but is now under threat.

As you will know, members of that community are seeking to obtain security of tenure on land for allotments at least from planting season to harvest time. There is a proven need for this in the area which lacks sufficient provision whereby people might provide themselves and their families with a healthy lifestyle raising food and flowers whilst protecting the local environment for future generations.

You may wonder what has this to do with me in Somerset?  As an allotment holder, I feel that if insensitive development goes ahead in your area then my own small plot is equally at risk at any time in the future. I fear a domino effect and the destruction of my plot too. I know that the people in Bicester are living with the day to day burden of these fears becoming reality. Simply - if a sense of community is lost in one area of the country then my own community is weakened too.

My own Church owns a small piece of land in our village that is used for allotments.  They have repeatedly turned down considerable offers from developers wishing to build on this land - and have stated that they will continue to do so.  They realise that the allotments provide an additional sense of community in addition to that provided by the Church itself.

Please, as a matter of urgency find time in your busy schedule to acquaint yourself with the facts of this case and discuss these concerns with your colleagues. I am sure that there is nothing here against the Church's environmental and social policies and that the needs of your community can be addressed.

Yours sincerely"

Hope it helps
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 07:24:21 by wivvles »
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 09:54:18 »
Mostly copied what you suggested Larry, and have sent it.

Good luck!
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 12:07:16 »
THANK YOU to all who have pestered the bishop so far!

My neighbour who is a policeman, and the council, say carter jonas have no right to tear down my save the allotments poster, let alone threaten me with trespass.

so more posters will go up on the public footpath to the lottie.

I'm doing a story on it in this week's oxford journal and courier so anyone in the area look out for it, and i've writtten to cleve west, the gardening columnist at the indy.

if anyone else knows any emails of high profile gardening fans, i would love to write to them too!

THANKS again, it brought a tear to my eye reading some of your posts, it is really kind of you.
fat larry

Shamba

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 17:35:19 »
Larry - this is quite disgraceful!! Have sent e-mail to the Bishop as you suggested. I do hope common sense prevails and wish you all the very best. Keep fighting the good fight!

Wendy

Kevins299

• Not So New ...
  • live life to the full.......
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 18:59:51 »
sent a copy of the above messages to the bishop and added that the sense of community that an allotment brings is more vibrant and vital than anything I ever expereinced ina church community......it is time to save the vineyard that christ would have been proud to pray in.......

I hope that the material greed of the church does not win over to developers....even if you may have to pay a higher lottie rent...

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 20:55:22 »
sadly, I've just had a realisation. I spoke to richard thomas today, who is richard harries (bish of oxford) Pr person. he wasn;t friendly. now I wonder if he opens the bish's emails, and might then of course not forward them to him. I'm not saying stop, I'm just a bit disheartened that's all

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 08:02:29 »
sadly, I've just had a realisation. I spoke to richard thomas today, who is richard harries (bish of oxford) Pr person. he wasn;t friendly. now I wonder if he opens the bish's emails, and might then of course not forward them to him. I'm not saying stop, I'm just a bit disheartened that's all
Don't worry - the Bishop will read the e-mails - to intercept someone's e-mails and not forward them is illegal, his PR chap won't risk doing that.  Anyway, if I don't get a response within a week then I shall write again, and write by snail mail if necessary.  If still no response, I'll ring.  Also, if it's in the papers, it will come to his attention.  The Bishop will find out.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 08:22:17 by wivvles »
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 08:18:54 »
Add another, just just emailed.

Good luck with the campaign hope everything works out for you and all the others who have worked so hard, and have had so much pleasure.
May you all continue

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 10:02:38 »
Just sent this....
Your Grace,

As an allotment holder in Sussex (and former Oxford resident and parishener)
I would be grateful if you could use your influence to re-examine the proposed development of land in Skimmingdish Lane, Bicester.

Allotments are an important part of society - just as the church is!

It is my understanding that this allotment has been there for many years and with the renewed interest in the environment and organic vegetables and fruit, it could be a real asset to the church locally as a centre for community gardening. Perhaps a focus for harvest festival?

The town council has no allotment space so it could surely become viable allotment space once again?
Perhaps this would help the church's environmental strategy more than selling green spaces for building?

Regards,

GOOD LUCK!!!!

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 14:22:24 »
thanks all, and wivvies for the bit about the emails. I might print off this list and send it with a snail mail letter confidential to the bish too, to be on the safe side.
the town council emailed me today to say they will discuss it at their meeting on may 16 - so I will be there. Friends of the earth are supportive, as are bicester historical society - who somehow knew of this thread (more gardeners??) - and I would like to thank them too for all their efforts. I took out four bicester history books from the library with loads of pix in em hoping to find a single pic of our lottie, but no good ... oh well.
does anyone know, if they haven't put a planning application in, can they go in there and clear the land, or does that count as change of use ... and if they do that, is there anything we can do.
they also tore down my poster and threatened me with trespass, but if it is on the border fencing that's part of the highway isn't it?, and up to the council to get upset about, not them ... there's a public path that runs alongside and round it, that is signposted and well used.

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 15:16:15 »
I would try for free legal advice - perhaps your CAB?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal