Author Topic: African Violets - how to make them flower  (Read 2805 times)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
African Violets - how to make them flower
« on: April 18, 2005, 10:53:13 »
I've had great success over winter raising African violets and now have over 20 with the foliage filling the tops of 9cm pots.

My gardening group has a plant sale at the end of May - how do I persuade them to flower by then?

I have a large propogator and cold greenhouse (plus lots of windowsill space)

Phil

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: African Violets - how to make them flower
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 11:44:20 »
By the end of May? Um. Don't think you do. Usually it's about a year from planting a leaf to flowering of the split-up babies.  I've had one baby violet bloom after it grew two leaves (!) but that was a mutie and never grew any more leaves.  They'll need to be about 5-6" across the leaf whorl (if normal plants, not miniatures) and have bright light to trigger flowering.  South facing in winter and E or W (not direct sun) in summer. And as close to the window as you can during the day (but don't leave between curtains and windowsill at night as the temp drop can kill them).

Let them be for a few months yet, and you'll have a lovely display by Christmas.  A plant diameter of 9cm is too small really. I'm in a similar position with several babies, and am hoping they'll be ready for then.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 14:11:02 »
Moonbells,

Many thanks for the advice

Phil

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 00:00:29 »
Feed I would say.  I have one and it flowered right up until Christmas, then nuffink.  Now I looked at it today when watering and there are lots and lots of lovely big flower heads coming and I reakon this is because I have started feeding my indoor babies again.  If not, have you ever tried your hand at paper flowers to insert???  ;D

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 09:10:18 »
Thanks EJ, They are all being given Maxicrop tomato feed.

The last time I tried making artificial flowers, they were icing ones for a Christmas cake and finished up larger than the cake! (I ain't artistic) - I'll keep fertilising and wait for the real thing

Phil

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 12:36:31 »
Deep joy!!

2 of them are producing flowers - there's 18 days to the plant sale, so I've put the "good" ones in the middle of the others, the Maxicrop must be working and hope the others will learn from the good ones.  ;)

I have some comfrey liquid if they don't - but on the other hand they are on the kitchen window ledge!!

Phil

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 11:18:22 »
Deep joy!!

2 of them are producing flowers - there's 18 days to the plant sale, so I've put the "good" ones in the middle of the others, the Maxicrop must be working and hope the others will learn from the good ones.  ;)

I have some comfrey liquid if they don't - but on the other hand they are on the kitchen window ledge!!

Phil

Blimey - they're doing well! My violet babies have put on a growth spurt recently and I suspect might have buds somewhere, but won't be out till June I fear.

Our plant sale was yesterday so had no chance, but that was as well as there were about 50 violets for sale!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal