Author Topic: Veg Patch and photos  (Read 4762 times)

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
Veg Patch and photos
« on: April 16, 2005, 23:50:30 »
I am really excited about my latest project.

The idea of an allotment always raised the issue of 'can I put in the hours to keep one going?'  After more than a day at work as a nurse the thought of running back and forth to an allotment didn't seem viable or enjoyable.  I guess I'm lazy.

When I built a greenhouse in my back garden a few years ago, growing things from seed proved to be extremely affordable and rewarding.  Soon I was sowing seed to grow my own vegetables as well as my favourite flowers.  In the greenhouse I had modest success with troughs of beets and tomatoes, peppers and carrots (which I grew in those tall rose pots).

Anyway, a month or so ago I read a Sunday Times article by a chap called Paul Waddington, who grows his own veg in a patch no greater than 10'x4'.  I looked at my 12'x5' centre flowerbed and sketched a plan to convert it into three raised beds, in which I could grow three different types of crop and be able to rotate them to minimise disease (I got that idea from Hessayon's Veg Expert).

Having estimated the timber I'd need and ordered it from a local merchant, all I had to do was set aside the time to build it. 

After a day of cussing, bleeding knuckles and near-exhaustion (prior to a late shift!) I succeeded in building the thing.  I extended the design to include 6 uprights, poles between which trellis sections are fixed and where - hopefully - permanent growth will be represented by climbing roses and honeysuckle.  This structure will also accomodate seasonal climbers, such as beans, peas and sweetpeas.

Right now, beans, peas and onions are progressing in the greenhouse, whilst carrots and garlic are already poking out of the soil in the raised beds.  All looks set fair! 

With the veg patch being on my doorstep, it's no effort to get out there and weed, water and generally keep an eye on what's going on.  I reckon it's going to work.

I try to run an organic garden and resist pesticides and slug pellets.  With a damp garden there are plenty of slugs and snails.  Minimising the damage they do will be the next challenge.  Luckily frogs like the garden (and the pond I built them) so we'll see who finds their dinner first...

And finally, I don't fully understand how photos are reproduced in messages: seems they are from websites people run.  Until I can join the computer literate, I'm going to post photos in a group I've just started

http://groups.msn.com/ArtsGarden/

You'll see the veg patch there! below!

Cheers,
Art

« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 18:01:43 by SEDUM »

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Veg Patch and photos
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 08:38:50 »
It looks great Art - I'm sure it will work beautifully.  Not sure how far apart beds need to be for crop rotation to function properly though.  Although I do have a lotty I have bitten the bullet this year and turned most of my back garden over to soft fruit, herbs and salads.  I've got rid of the lawn completely and OH has built wee raised beds for me for the herbs and salads.  As the back garden is tiny anyway - 9m x 9m, and solid clay, the loss of the lawn is no bad thing, and I have a lawn for beetles etc to play in in the front garden.

So much easier to moniter the sensitive things like toms etc. out of the kitchen window!

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 09:23:18 »
Art that looks great - you sure have worked very hard, but it is just so-o-o-o satisfying when you grow and finally eat all those delicious veggies, and they are so much more tasty than anything you can buy no matter how much you pay.
So well well done.
Re photos - I too really struggled with this until I went to photobucket.com - just follow the instructions to get the pics on and then when you come to post you have to copy the bottom bit - the one  that starts with img £ paste it to your post.
there are more knowledgeable folks her who can probably explain it better (much) but get to photobucket first and have a go.
Terri  :) 8)

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 10:14:33 »
It looks great Art - I'm sure it will work beautifully.  Not sure how far apart beds need to be for crop rotation to function properly though.  Although I do have a lotty I have bitten the bullet this year and turned most of my back garden over to soft fruit, herbs and salads.  I've got rid of the lawn completely and OH has built wee raised beds for me for the herbs and salads.  As the back garden is tiny anyway - 9m x 9m, and solid clay, the loss of the lawn is no bad thing, and I have a lawn for beetles etc to play in in the front garden.

So much easier to moniter the sensitive things like toms etc. out of the kitchen window!

Thanks Ceri! ;D  I agree with you about the gap between the beds.  I'm just going to have to wait and see... 

I used to have a small patchy lawn where the central bed was - after a nervewracking season of working with a friend to sweep the tiny frogs out of the way of the lawn mower I decided to get rid of it.  I let wild bird seed that falls from the birdtable germinate in the wild area, so hopefully anything like beetles, etc will find what they want there.

With your clay soil, have you put raised beds in?  Or do you put 'islands' of compost where the crops go?

Art

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 10:18:44 »
Art that looks great - you sure have worked very hard, but it is just so-o-o-o satisfying when you grow and finally eat all those delicious veggies, and they are so much more tasty than anything you can buy no matter how much you pay.
So well well done.
Re photos - I too really struggled with this until I went to photobucket.com - just follow the instructions to get the pics on and then when you come to post you have to copy the bottom bit - the one  that starts with img £ paste it to your post.
there are more knowledgeable folks her who can probably explain it better (much) but get to photobucket first and have a go.
Terri  :) 8)

Thanks for the tip, Terri :)  I'll take a look at Bucket.  Out in my dressing gown again this morning  :o, scrambled some eggs, snipped a healthy portion of parsley, fresh-squeezed orange juice and coffee and sat eating my breakfast in the promising sunshine with the bees and hoverflies for company.  Days off should always be like this!  Art

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 10:20:36 »
OH has built wee raised beds for me for the herbs and salads. 

Oops, sorry Ceri - you answered my question already.  You see, I am lazy! ::)

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 12:20:56 »
This is how I got rid of the lawn and built raised beds

1. plonked down three wooden frames on top of grass
2. filled with soil (hole from where soil was is for teeny pond)
3. covered rest of grass with weed suppressant fabric (the plasticy woven type not the fabric type - bought on a roll from e-bay!) pinned down with cheap peg thingies from Wilkinsons)
4.  am now awaiting delivery of woodchip from nice council man who hasn't learnt how not to be manipulated!!!

None of this digging lark for me!!

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 16:03:42 »
Looks as if you've put in a lot of hard work Ceri.
That's a mighty big spider you must have lurking in your garden, judging by the bottom raised bed picture  ;D

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 17:41:35 »
That's a mighty big spider you must have lurking in your garden, judging by the bottom raised bed picture  ;D

Do you mean my raised bed spider, Ani?  It's the anti-catpoo web! ;)  Just tall enough so cats won't step over it, just low enough so cats won't crawl under it, just close enough together that cats can't find a space to crouch down in it :D

Cats see a raised bed and think kitty-litter...

Art

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 17:57:49 »
Re photos - I too really struggled with this until I went to photobucket.com -

Thanks for that Terri.  Got an album there now, so will close down the MSN thing.  here's the pic I had there (If I've pasted it properly!) -

[/img]

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 18:07:19 »
Waaaayaaay!! You did it - brilliant. Hope there'll be lots more now.  ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
Terri

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 18:16:14 »
Waaaayaaay!! You did it - brilliant. Hope there'll be lots more now.  ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
Terri

Well, I'd be nothing without you.  Oh dear, I'm coming over all Gwyneth Paltrow...  :'(

Art

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 18:54:40 »
Sorry SEDUM, I'm getting muddled up with names, nothing to do with the glass of wine ;D
Yes it's your spider I would be wary of ;D Do you knit as well as crochet?  ;D
I have just spent an hour on photobucket, Blogger and DAP and now am so confused with so many user name etc. and still not able to post pics.

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2005, 19:47:06 »
 ;D Oh you got the picture thingy!! That's why I could not find your msn site He he.

Looking good, keep taking pics so we can see how you get on.
Supernan!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal