Author Topic: Wheelbarrow tyres  (Read 8605 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Wheelbarrow tyres
« on: April 16, 2005, 17:03:06 »
My wheelbarrow wheel has a puncture and attempts to repair it have failed and it keeps deflating.  Been all over place for new inner tube but drawn blank.  Seen them on internet for £6.50 plus p and p (bit steep for me)  Rang bike shop and he said he hadn't got one but if I found one would I ring him and tell him where I'd got it as he'd got a flat too  ;D

Tried local garden centres and B & Q.  Would it be best to buy a new wheel/wheelbarrow?

My husband tried plugging hole with expanding foam (?) but strangely enough that didn't work either
I came, I saw, I composted

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Wheelbarrow tyres
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 18:13:47 »
Go to a lawn mower shop/repair shed and ask for some green slimy stuff that stops punctures, we used to use it on the ride-on mowers as they were always getting punctures it seals the holes and carries on working for a long time. I cannot remember the name as we used to call it gorrilla snot. They also do it for motorcycle tyres but I expect it will be expensive that way.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 20:44:08 »
Thought I saw spare wheels in B&Q ??? why not take it to a car tyre repairer like Kwikfit for a puncture repair? ???

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 21:03:41 »
Isn't it possible to get an inner-tube for it?

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 23:07:46 »
I solved the problem by replacing my wheel (now flat), with a solid tyred version.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 23:17:06 »
I have just discovered gorilla snot - and you can get tubes in any (most?) cycle shop.  It's called ----------- wait for it --------

Slime, and it seems to be fluorescent green.  Can't vouch for it yet - only bought it yesterday after walking 9 miles home pushing a punctured bike; just what you want ater a day's work :(

Or you could try the mountain bike "get-you-home" trick - stuff the outer tyre with grass or straw instead?

All best - Gavin

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 07:33:14 »
If you have an hour to spare have a look at your local Car Boot. I got a spare wheel with a spare tyre for a £5.

ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 10:33:12 »
Good timing Wardy -I've the very same problem. I was going to try grass -or that liquid stuff you used to put in tyres. Really I think a solid tyre is the way to go though -come to think of it I've ended up with a surplus dinghy trolley I'll have a look at that.

Jeremy

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 13:58:37 »
the wheel came off an old barrow.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 16:36:14 »
I'll take the wheel from some ol' barrow,
I'll get the handles from a drawer,
I'll get the legs from a bandy spinster,
An' for the middle an old bent door,
I'll have the worlds bestest wheelbarrow,
And everyone will stop an' stare,
And no matter how they laugh and joke,
I just won't give a care....So there!

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 19:57:25 »
 :D try a motorbike shop. Probably a bit far for you but one in Sible Hedingham Essex mended my last one.
Supernan!!

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 21:02:24 »
Took mine to ATS.

15 minutes,  £4.50.

;D
Good gardening!

John

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 11:33:39 »
Try a local disability shop. Electric wheelchairs use similar inner tubes but they have changed from thornproof to punctureless. One of our plot holders dad's has given us a load of the old ones, many of which fit lots of wheelbarrows.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 16:33:52 »
I'll second ATS as they sorted my barrow as well. I have hawthorn hedges all around my garden and got fed up with puctures. I ended up a dab hand in patching the inner tude.

After a couple of years need a new tyre and tube and explained my plight to ATS. They rummaged around in their store and found a car trailer tyre that would fit the barrow. That has now been on the barrow for 2 years with out a single puncture. The tread/rubber/ply is much thicker than standard wheel barrow tyres.

Very pleased with the £15 spend. the wheel will probably outlive the barrow now!
jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal