Author Topic: fruit cage  (Read 5864 times)

bodger

fruit cage
« on: April 24, 2005, 08:56:42 »
Hi new bloke here.fruit cage well theres the question has anyone made one ???.one you can walk in!

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Re: fruit cage
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 09:08:13 »
oooh i know someone who has done just that thing and made a very fine job of it indeed.
I will give her a buzz and get back to you  ;)

bodger

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 09:14:14 »
ok thanks  :)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 10:25:58 »
Ive left her a message to come here and share her talents with you  ;D

Simon05

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 17:48:10 »
I have made a fruit cage, used 8ft long 2x2 timber,  4 down each side of the cage, the hard bit is stretching the netting over the roof. I have had mine up for about 3 years.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 18:32:23 »
Still catching up with postings after just one week away from the board!  You lot went crrrrrrrazy whilst I was away!

Anyhows, I made a fruit cage big enough for me (5'3") to walk about in.  I recycled a big old frame tent which I was able to spear into the ground and then attach netting to it.  So far so good!  I shall try to remember to take my camera and take a piccy next time I am at the plot.  ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 21:45:30 »
our cats dont maraud the country side(cat owners like wildlife too! :D)-they are having their own run built adjacent to the glasshouse-the run will be 10x16'...and it also doubles as my fruit cage-i want them to have lots of snuffly experiances so a lot of gardening will be going on in their run!
basically 4x4 posts and 2x2"weldmesh......
i cant wait! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 22:17:50 »
Still catching up with postings after just one week away from the board!  You lot went crrrrrrrazy whilst I was away!

Anyhows, I made a fruit cage big enough for me (5'3") to walk about in.  I recycled a big old frame tent which I was able to spear into the ground and then attach netting to it.  So far so good!  I shall try to remember to take my camera and take a piccy next time I am at the plot.  ;D

Emma, hope you don't mind but I took a copy of your fantastic cage when you posted it. I was jus SO impressed with it I will try to make something similar (when I get round to it  ::))

Anyway if you don't mind, here it is guys. Absolutely brilliant don't you all think?   Terri  8)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 23:38:49 »
Wow, what do you know, there I am!  hehehe.  It is bigger and more improved this year as I have now covered the currants and gooseberrys that are behind the original cage. 

I have had a brainwave, as I do need another cage for my other double row of currants and strawbs.  A house round the corner and down the road a bit has had an alluminium greenhouse frame, all dismantled, propped up against their garage for as long as I can remember.  If I ever get brave enough, I plan to knock and ask if they perhaps don't want.  Then I can do a similar thing, bang the house shaped bits into the ground and attach netting to it.  ;D

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 10:31:06 »
What ?! and waste a greenhouse!  :o

Old frame tent frames are the things to look for

Phil

selwyn-smith

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 16:40:44 »
Hi Bodger,
 Our large heavy frame tent got eaten by rats last year (husband very upset) , but guess what we used the old tent frame for? yep made a brilliant frame for a fruit cage covered it in netting and planted my fruit bushes, cabbages and broccoli under it, worked a treat and you could stand up under it. So any redundant or rotted or eaten tents ......

dragonfly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 20:10:31 »
Hi
Two years ago,  my husband made us a fruitcage, i (hopefully) have added a photo (first time i have done this).

In it we have summer & autumn raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries, strawberries and rhubarb.  The photo was taken when it was all new.

We had lots of lovely fruit out of it last year and am looking forward to the same this year.   ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 20:13:30 »
wow!very smart that is!lovely! :)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 20:52:25 »
Wow dragonfly, what a fantastic looking setup  :D

Moggle - who is green with envy   ;)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 21:27:00 »
Hey dragonfly, that looks like a proper job, very nice indeed.

Kitty, 2x2" weldmesh will do a great job of keeping your cats in but it won't be much use for protecting your fruit surely, unless you have particularly chubby birds around your parts ;D ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 21:35:51 »
hahaha!chubby birds-you bin looking!
you have a point-but we thought-after much dliberation that 7 cats with access to the run all the time will..er....detereven the most dedicated fruit thief!
and i reckon if they get past The Tribe-they deserve the odd raspberry
and we did look at smaller mesh-but it made the thing look like alcatraz-i have my work cut out making it look aesthetic as it is! ;D
fun tho!
i shall enjoy planting it up...... :)
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 11:45:35 »
try army surplus for old frame tents sold cheaply!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal