Author Topic: The pumpkin revolution!  (Read 10253 times)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
The pumpkin revolution!
« on: April 13, 2005, 10:34:18 »
I am starting a revolution to change the way people think about pumpkin! Pumpkins aren't just for carving you know! I can't believe that so many people carve them and then just chuck them out!  >:(

Pumpkins are delicious. You can roast it with your sunday dinner! Makes lovely soup, is yummy in curry, you can boil it or steam it, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the other things.  :D

This year I am growing Queensland Blue (aussie seed), Hybrid grey crown (aussie seed - fruit stores up to 10 months!), Crown Prince, and butternut.

I know I am probably preaching to the converted with a lot of you, but join the pumpkin revolution today  ;D ;D ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: The pumpkin revolution!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 16:25:42 »
Makes wine too moggle! And you can snack on the seeds ;D  I was converted years ago, life without squashes would be a very boring place!
Growing far too many to list, and looking forward to their beautiful looking fruits!  ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 18:44:51 »
I grow them to eat, darling Ava likes me to grow them because they look so good!  Even when we carve them I cook the insides.  Love mash, soup, curry, cake and pie.  In fact, pretty much anything I make that has veggies in it, like stews, has some squash or the other in.  And I still have 7 different monsters in storeage and you know, they are all still in tip top condition.

Long Live the Squash!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 20:33:49 »
;D Youv'e got me interested Moggle is there still time to buy the seeds and plant out for this years crop? 8)

Lizard Man

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 21:52:03 »
Squashes, pumpkins and co are indeed wonderful veggies to grow. However, a warning to all pumpkin revolutionaries - don't leave any pumpkins on view in your allotment too close to Halloween, otherwise you may find kids nick them. This is what happened to mine last year. Bright orange beacons they must have been, particularly at that time of year when plants have died back making them even more visible!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 22:59:26 »
Yes Roy plenty of time.  It says on my packets May - June.  You can plant indoors May - June and then plant out when frost past, or direct into plot after frost

So stacks of time.  I haven;t done mine yet  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 23:02:17 »
Moggle  - Long Pink Banana?
I came, I saw, I composted

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 23:40:36 »
 ;) Ta Wardy ;D

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 23:42:08 »
dont forget the jams/preserves!
i made a huge pumpkin (2 stone!) into yummy preserve and sold that in aid of the hurricane and flood victims in haiti :)

the stuff flew off the shelves.
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 12:24:58 »
;D Youv'e got me interested Moggle is there still time to buy the seeds and plant out for this years crop? 8)

Roy, I will even check to see how many seeds I still have left from Aus and wing a couple to you if you like - anything to get you joining the revolution  ;D ;D And you might still be able to get the freebies from Gardeners World too  :)

However, a warning to all pumpkin revolutionaries - don't leave any pumpkins on view in your allotment too close to Halloween, otherwise you may find kids nick them. This is what happened to mine last year. Bright orange beacons they must have been, particularly at that time of year when plants have died back making them even more visible!

Oh dear Lizard Man, poor you. Sounds like a good reason to grow the blue/grey-skinned ones  :) Crown Prince? something de choggia??

Moggle  - Long Pink Banana?
Wardy!  ::)     ;D ;D

Oh yes and EJ I had forgotten cake, I made a syrup-type one ages ago. And Pumpkin pie, I could ask my sister who now lives in the US for a recipe.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 22:35:30 »
teehee Wardy, I too have a long pink banana, nothing to do with Ava I hasten to add!  ::) ;D :o

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 22:47:05 »
Roy, I will even check to see how many seeds I still have left from Aus and wing a couple to you if you like - anything to get you joining the revolution  ;D ;D And you might still be able to get the freebies from Gardeners World too  :)

Thanks Moggle,  ;) My Wife tells me that my daughter has already picked me some up from town, not sure of the variety but will keep informed. ;) ;D

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 11:17:30 »
Just an intelligent thought but to stop kids nicking them off the lottie grow different variaties as it would seem that they only interested in the big orange ones to carve up, i would imagine they wouldnt look twice at smaller different coloured variaties that would be just as tasty.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 12:11:45 »
I remove my big uns from the plot a couple of weeks before halloween, have had them pinched off our site before and I wont risk it!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Lizard Man

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2005, 01:16:12 »
Okay, so I'll try a different variety next time. I only grew the classic 'Halloween' ones last year because the seeds were free and I thought my nephew and niece may like one to carve up (I did manage to get one to them just before the others were stolen).

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2005, 13:43:27 »
I've been given a few seeds of a pumpkin called 'Spooktacular' F1 (spelling may be a bit off).  I'm guessing it must be an orange carving variety?  Anyone know if it is?

The seeds look like large courgette seeds, does this mean they aren't the kind that I can dry and shove in with my bread dough?

Nigella

• Quarter Acre
  • Plant it, eat it!
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 16:31:23 »
I'm growing some of those - they are small to medium sized - and its says on the packet perfect for carving and eating yummy

;D ;D

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 18:37:53 »
Good stuff!  Thank-you
  :)

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2005, 22:35:00 »
I just love the sight of them growing, but yes,I removed them from plot early in case of theft!
Last yeat was national sunflower growing and I think this year is pumpkin! And those d**n kids were on gardeners world tonight sowing seeds after last years 900 and something lb >:(

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2005, 10:57:48 »
After seeing Gardeners world last night, I might have a go myself as I really liked some of the varieties.Those kids were great! and the pumpkin man knew his stuff.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal