Author Topic: Courgettes - support?  (Read 7362 times)

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Courgettes - support?
« on: April 12, 2005, 21:47:31 »
Sorry for what seems like a very basic question - I haven't grown courgettes before.  I am a little confused by what my books say about them.  Of course they are grouped together with the squashes and pumpkins, so the advice is very general.  Anyhoo... I am growing "Black Beauty"... do they need something to grow up like a wig-wam or are they meant to trail?

Neither the book(s) or the seed packet are very illuminating on the subject!  I've even looked on Google and can't find anything apart from instructions about sowing.
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Courgettes - support?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 22:30:44 »
All the courgettes I have grown have stayed as a bush, not really trailing as such, and certainly have not needed any support.

My favourite now is Jemmer, bright yellow and quite delicate flavour.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 23:05:07 »
My fave is Sunburst which is also yellow - a little custard squash type.  Eaten at golfball size.  Lovely  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 06:58:46 »
Mine have always been fine with no support. Be carefull how many you plant as we were snowed under with trhem last year some ending up as marrows! ;D
Chris Pea

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 08:02:49 »
:D If it says bush on the packet then you won't need support. Some marrows and most squash or pumpkin trail. You can put wigwams of canes up for the trailers, mine always seem to find support of their own, last year it was the neighbours fence, runner bean poles and sunflowers.

Do remember that if you put up a support some of the fruits get very heavy. Old tights make good and stretchy supports. Now I don't work in a posh office they are getting harder to find. Good luck.
Supernan!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 09:50:01 »
Know what you mean Supernan.  I don't possess a pair of tights  :o :o  Went on a course yesterday and couldn't find even a single pop sock  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 10:49:33 »
In the RHS Wisley vegetable garden they grow courgettes up wigwams of (stout) poles - or at least they did last year. I am going to try it this year as it seemed to allow more space around the growing fruits. Last year my trailing plants sort of coiled around on themselves, which meant that some courgettes were 'abraded' by the coarse stems and leaves.

It should also mean I can get more plants into the available space, and make the courgettes easier to pick - less bending over!!

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 11:47:44 »
:D If it says bush on the packet then you won't need support.

You really would laugh if you saw the instructions on the packet, they are so unhelpful!  About the only thing it says is "water regularly"  :o  Unfortunately nothing about what type of courgette it is (i.e. bush or not).

Ah well, I think I will try and grow them up something, as per RHS Wisley, SpeedyMango!
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal