Orange Banana (thanks to SueK)
Sweet Olive
Italia
Sungella
Golden Sunrise
Red Alert
Gardener's Delight (old fave)
Ailsa Craig  (anther old fave)
I planted just 6 of each and they're now tucked up in the airing cupboard (following a reorganisation of the laundry).
i.e. 48 plants in all ::) Well I DO  luuurve tomatoes!  ;D 8)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Toms
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 17:55:46 »
And now - where will you grow them?

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 18:57:58 »

Well tim, I usually end up giving quite  a few away to family & friends/colleagues, so my aim is to have about 30 ish plnts to grow for myself. Some will go in the garden which is even smaller now we have the 2nd greenhouse, and the rest will be for the lottie.
We'll probably end up with a few in large pots on the very sunny and sheltered patio  like we did last year.
But I adore tomatoes and use them to make soups and pasta sauces to freeze and they really taste  of summer in January (if they last that long ::))
Here's a little pic of my overcrowded airing cupboard

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 20:14:32 »
So that's what a proper propagator looks like ;D my Toms hit the roof of my cheapo Wilko ones in no time at all ::) Incidentally is it necessary to have the P/gator in the warmth of the airing cupboard? or do you just do it to kick start them? ???

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 20:42:58 »
How clinically superb - you deserve to succeed.
And you have other jobs around the house??

To answer Roy's question, I assume that those are trays rather than propagators??

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 21:20:09 »
Maybe Tim ??? but they have see through lids on them ??? Told you I was green ;D

skypilot

• Quarter Acre
    • Photo Page
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 22:23:44 »

I assume that those are trays rather than propagators??

Whats the difference Tim, I was of the same opinion as Roy, ie that they were propagators - but there again I too am green ;D
Here are some pics of my allotment  & others!!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/286599773CoPRDK

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 22:31:57 »
Yes guys they are just trays with cheapo plastic covers over them. I have got an electric propagator but have had much better results from a few days in my airing cupboard. 3-4 days is all it takes usually then a few more in the spare bedroom, then out to the unheated greenhouse.
However, with temperatures varying from 30+ by day to 4 by night,  I'm off tomorrow to get a mini greenhouse to add a certain somethig to cosset these tender little babies for the first couple of weeks of their lives.
A bit of TLC now sure pays dividends in July & August. :) 8) :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 22:51:04 by wattapain »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 15:38:30 »
Of course - any tray is a 'propagating' tray.

I was just suggesting that a tray without heat would benefit from an airing cupboard's warmth.

You couldn't get a spare flannel into ours!

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 16:46:51 »
Well I now have a mini greenhouse to add a little extra warmth to tender young seedlings. I put my early sown tomatoes (9th Feb) which I am keeping in the greenhouse and hoping for early crops ( fingers crossed ::)).
My latest sowings will hopefully be ready to go in this new home in a couple of weeks. My spare room has now reverted to its former life ie a bedroom  ;).
Here's a pic of the new addition.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 17:14:51 »
Nice shape, those 'houses.

Very spick & span.

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 20:36:50 »
Roy, a propagator is a seed tray with a see-through lid, as above, a heated propagator is the same but with an electric heating element built into the tray to give the seedlings "bottom heat". You can also get thermostaticaly controlled heated mats to put under propagators. These are my heated propagators:

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 20:47:36 »
 ;D Thanks Simon ;) I did know what they looked like (sort of) ??? as I bought half a dozen from Wilko quite cheap, but having now seen Wattapains and yours, I now realise the posh ones come with a much higher lid.

Thanks for explaining ;)

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 23:27:22 »
Roy, mine are 3" plant pots with cling film over...maybe next year  ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 10:48:09 »
My one propogator top gets put to good use  ;D I start a tray in the airing cupboard, then the propogator top comes off and goes on to the next tray in the airing cupboard once I move the first tray on to a windowsill  :)

So far I have
5 roma toms,
1 unidentified (victim of the mini-greenhouse blow-over)
11 gardeners delight
and some red alert and craigella just germinating
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 14:47:31 »
For my first attempt, I'm trying:

Black Russian
Baby Yellow Pear
Riesentraube
Gardeners' Delight

I sowed 12 seeds of each, carefully spaced, and all but 4 germinated. The last to appear were the Riesentraube (took 2-3 weeks), and these were potted up yesterday into 3" pots to join the others.

When can they be comfortably moved from a south-facing windowsill to a greenhouse (paraffin heater can be lit if required)? Or can they go now? The most advanced plants are currently about 3" high with second pair of true leaves just appearing...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 17:26:31 »
I'm keeping mine warm in the house until it's safe to plant them out after danger of frost.  It would be a shame to put them out and then lose them.  They'd be ok in an heated greenhouse as they do need warmth  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 17:54:12 »
I do like to have a nosey at peoples gardens...thanks for the pics folks.My seeds don't get as much cosseting as some of you I think they grow to spite me not because of me. They are just bunged on the floor in the dining room....with a bit of compost and pot of course.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 18:18:09 »
All ours are in a cold 'house. Normally I have them on a heated bench, to give a soil temp of 60F. But, since everyone else raises theirs in the cat litter, I'm being less finickity this year.
Pity we can't do a controlled experiment. On this, & all other things.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 11:26:59 »
Gadfium - I grew riesentraube last year from the heritage seed library - if I haven't got my varieties mixed up, I think they have a very sharp "nipple" looking thing at the base. Now, did I take a picture of them.... No  :-\
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal