Author Topic: Disability Discrimination Act.  (Read 22500 times)

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
Re:Disability Discrimination Act.
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2004, 20:59:46 »
What strikes me in this thread is that people have "fixed" ideas about what is "disablement" I hate that word I do..  this is about equality and i shake my head at some of the things said here.. in 2004? have seen much discrimination in my life be it a person in a wheelchair to unmarried mothers and it is all vile and nasty and all it is, is displacement onto minority groups.. one of the things i have heard peeps say is about a friend of mine.. heard a bloke say "he can work, scrounging Bstard" I will not share what happened to this person.. if you want/need disabled lables I give u the man who said that ignorant thing, cus that man is truly crippled, bound by soundbites and bbc news.. on the latest bandwagon with the daily mail, a paper which constantly kicks and bullies those least able to defend themselves.. have said many a time and it still holds

Viva La differience

thats my 2 pennuth

ciaran

:-* :-* :-*

« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 21:11:41 by Ozzy aka Pothead »

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2004, 10:52:23 »
Hi Ozzy..I thought Andy summed it up nicely. There is only so much money available and although allotments for the disabled would be on *my* list it would only just be above 'computers for the blind'. I agree there are degrees of disability, but running an allotment is *not* like pottering about at home.A big city like B'ham or Cardiff could probably afford special sites but even they would have to have extra insurance and probably a supervisor on site all the time.There was a scheme in my area where the unemployed did work (including gardening)for old and disabled folks, but that seems to have folded.....Regards Ken

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2004, 16:51:14 »
Ken

It isn't for us to decide what a person can or cannot do, take the para olympics for example.. as for the money angle.. I just dont buy it.. it comes across that it is some sort of "favour" equality is equality and thats all people are still asking for.. I dont care about money means nothing and only devalues life.. ending discrimination starts with each and every single one of us.. wonder how much the bombs cost that killed little Ali's mum and dad and brothers and sisters and left him with serious injuries in Iraq? those bombs cost money.. we should all be shouting about the cost of each bullet fired.. but like I said money devalues life,,, equality not favours or percieved handouts, cost very little in comparison... and its not like we dont get paid back cus we do in many ways.. we learn something new.. but it starts with us.. and i seee no reason why a peep with no legs cant climb everest, people are full of surprises..

Ciaran

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2004, 17:40:42 »
Well said Oz/Ciaran.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2004, 19:23:14 »
Knew you would understand, Ciaran.  There are many ways of meeting life's many challenges and some people are just more willing to fight them.

By the way, in case anyone thinks I have a personal interest in this - I don't, we do not need "disabled" access.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 19:27:53 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2004, 10:06:18 »
I agree about the wars, Ozzie, and I've had a few 'everests' to know what that's about. But I think there are enough benefits in place for no one to feel victimized or discriminated against, and then there are the additional things like free medicine and cheap travel. Any extra layers of help are barely necessary.When I was orf sick for a year (1982), then six months on the dole, I didn't like all the questions and signing on but some control is necessary, otherwise there would be abuse of the system.With some benefits I think spending habits should be linked .

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2004, 11:45:11 »
Ken, have to point out that if someone is registered as Disabled or receiving Disability Living/Working Allowance then they do not receive free prescriptions as such.  

Re travel if you mean Mobility Allowance (purely for ambulatory difficulties)  this is in fact funded by a charity and administered I believe by the relevant Government Departmentl - a fact which few people seem to realise. I do know that some disabilities can receive a free or 30p per trip bus pass or a taxi card (which takes £2 off the cost of a taxi run if they find getting on and off buses too difficult) but not both..  That is this area at least but should think most would be the similar

Original discussion was disabled access to allotments and no matter what either of us think this will probably remain pie in the sky for many years having been put on some Council wish list!

Obvious we will have to agree to differ - your mind is set. Hope neither of us find ourselves in a situation where we have need of such facilities. Ken, we are  probably better to stick to strictly allotment subjects and stay friends I hope? :-\
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 12:23:34 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2004, 13:08:13 »
I didn't know that Wicker. As an OAP I get 1/3rd off rail if I buy an £18 travel card and half off bus fares with a free travel card, but can still walk and bike. O.K. all, friends it is. It beat the usual  'cat mess on the lawn ' conversation.And I play chess too Ozzie if you want a game.

steve9871

• Not So New ...
Re: Disability Discrimination Act.
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2004, 16:59:28 »
our allotment gates are apalling and i dont think any one with a disability could enter them so were do u get a copy of the act so u can make the parrish aware of it

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2005, 10:23:39 »
W have just got approval from our committee to take over three gardens near our main entrance to convert for less able gardeners. Our plans will include raised beds of different heights, varied paths, a leisure area, scented garden and toilets. So far there are very encouraging noises from funding bodies and a mental health group have offered voluntary manpower.
Your local CVS should be able to pinpoint likely fund providers and provision of gardens for the disabled ticks lots of boxes.
Looking after different sections of the community surely makes your site safer from development.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2005, 19:30:22 »
Reading your post really cheered me up, DJ!  Good sense all round.

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2005, 12:56:57 »
The biggest handicap that many disabled people suffer from is the attitude of the able boddied!  My local council has provided a number of raised beds to encourage disabled users.  The beds are rather small though and only offer limited growing space.  It is a great shame that legislation like the Act has been required in the first place.
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2005, 04:19:24 »
Would somebody please define "disabled".   I've always considered it a state of mind rather than body!!!!!

I work with a bloke who's registered disable 'cos he had to several pieces of himself amputated but he is one of the most able people I know.   His lack of fingers, toes & nose doesn't bother him & he doesn't let it hold him back.

If everybody had the same attitude to life as my work mate the world would be a much better place.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2005, 17:49:07 »
I can't believe some of the comments here about physically disabled people needing or wanting to do an allotment. People with toes and arms orf etc should pursue mind games and chess or as with that Hawkins chap. The carers,pushers and pullers, are the losers.My good friend Alan, ran a gardening scheme at a local Council care centre and wasn't  even allowed to teach physically disabled adults, and even then the whole thing was cancelled after about six years because of accidents. Too many do gooders about.

Hex

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2005, 19:53:02 »
There are a number of ways of defining disability - but it basically works out as a dehabilitating condition that is expected to last more than 12 months.  From an employment law perspective it covers a wide range of conditions - eg diabetes, mental illness, etc rather than the stereotypical image of wheelchair bound invalid. I think there is no longer a clear status of 'registered disabled' and it comes down to individual interpretation of the regulations.

There are strong arguments for and against legislating.  If you don't 'good' companies in cash rich industries tend to comply with 'guidelines' as do public sector organisations.  As with most of these regulations I think it comes out of a european elective.  All new buildings have had to comply for some time and it is now being expanded to cover established sites.  Don't forget it covers all public access areas - so shops too.  Wonderful news for those with restricted mobility due to a pram as well as those disabled enough to require a wheelchair.

I think most allotments sites will get away with it until asked by someone with a genuine and demonstrable concern and then they will have little choice but to comply. 

We all pay the taxes that fund these alterations on council owned sites.  Just because you are disabled does not mean you or your family has never contributed to the public purse.  I would rather think my excessive income and council tax contributions subsidise disabled access than street lamps for townies!!!  :P

Managing disability is to a huge degree about a state of mind - but it shouldnt be dictated by your personal finances.  'Allotments for All' sums it up.

Linda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2005, 12:27:37 »
We all pay the taxes that fund these alterations on council owned sites. 

Yes, we all pay the taxes, but not all council owned sites are maintained or provided for by the council.

In our area, the allotment association is responsible entirely for maintaining the site, and would also be repsobsible entirely for making a disabled access allotment.

Ok, we would likely get grant funding for doing it, but it would still mean that the same half dozen volunteers that will turn out next weekend to mend the boundary fences, will have to lug paving slabs around to make a good path for a wheelchair user.

The principle is great - of course wheelchair users 'should' be allowed access, but who will be made to make that happen? Not the darn council, that's for sure.

By the way, I am disabled myself, though not a wheelchair user.

Love and compost
Linda

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2005, 09:38:40 »
As regards the 'same half dozen volunteers' having to do all the work. You would probably find that the local Community Punishment or Social Services may help. We've had an offer of labour from a branch of Social Services. They have a large number of young people with mental health problems who've volunteered to do most of the work whilst learning new skills. There will also be voluntary groups who might like to help. Make an appointment with your local Council for Voluntary Services and you might be pleasantly surprised.

organicartist

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2005, 14:14:39 »
this site is called allotments 4 all, need I say more?

Many of the gardeners on our site have physical limitations, myself included, but none of us want the label disabled. It IS possible for disabled people to enjoy allotments, it just takes a bit of ingenuity.

Just because you can't imagine how a disabled person could possibly garden does not mean they can't do it, it just means your knowledge or experience of this subject is limited.

If you'd like to know more, read the fascinating book "Able to garden" Horticultural Therapy by Peter Please.

Just because I can't use a spade or fork does not mean I can't manage, it just means I do things a little differently. I have a full size allotment, which I tend myself. The only time I have ever had to ask for help was when I needed a trench for asparagus. I can't manage most "normal" tools, but I can use a lightweight push pull hoe, as long as I pace myself and rest often. Little and often is the key. I use mulching to help control weeds and reduce the need for watering. a long tool handle makes a good support if I have to bend over to pull a weed out. I use a little seat so that I don't have to stand.

At the moment I can't access my allotment when I need to use the wheelchair, (gates are fine but no firm paths anywhere), but I'm planning alterations to my plot for next year to change that.

Because of gardening, my reliance on strong painkillers is reduced, I'm stronger & fitter, (gardening is my physiotherapy), and I'm a happier person. I've also made some great friends at the allotment. I'm 30, are you really saying that people like me should sit inside all of our lives because having us on your allotment site might make you just a tad uncomfortable? Get real!

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2005, 14:38:09 »
Have only just read through this thread.

I am registered as disabled - no wheelchair yet - and it seems to me that those who have contributed fall into various categories. It doesn't matter what they are, but to all of you who show the understanding that being disabled doesn't make you a second class citizen, THANK YOU.

When I took over my waterlogged allotment those few months ago I was really scared that in digging out the trenches needed to drain it and build the raised beds to sort the plot out for the future, I would cause myself physical damage.

As it happens one of my elbows is giving me real gyp, and the sciatica in my lower right back is irritating, to say the least. But pride and determination stopped me asking anyone for help - other than my son and my partner - and now that I have produced crops of all sorts of things the feeling is magic.

The fresh air has helped with my breathing. The exercise has helped me to lose weight. BP is well down and bloods have thinned. The improved diet from the veg is another plus. The camaraderie with other plot holders is brill. And most of you on A4all are a real encouragement in all sorts of ways.

Discrimination is offensive, no matter what type it is. I feel guilty about how awful I was directly or indirectly to all sorts of disabled people when I was young and fit.

Let's keep growing stuff and encouraging each other to do the same. Viva Allotments4All!!!!

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2005, 15:45:22 »
I am proud to say that 3 of our allotment site are home to people with disabilities. The largest being Haddocks Wood Allotments in Runcorn, Cheshire.
This site benefits from Scope , Mind, Astmoor day services and more recently Halton Hospital have applied for a plot to use as a rehabilitation plot for people recovering from stroke or neurological problems.
All these groups have made a real impact on the site to enhance disable awareness as they have broken many myths and barriers in what they CAN DO. and they are all no part and parcel of the sites dynamics.

Regards

Alan
As One Door Closes, Anther One Slams In Your Face.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal