Author Topic: Beware the heron is about  (Read 5086 times)

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
Beware the heron is about
« on: April 11, 2005, 19:17:31 »
My daughter came running down the stairs tonight to tell me that the heron was sat on tesco's roof which is at the back of my house. And there he was when I got out the back to look enjoying one of my goldfish for his tea. Have been working on the pond over the weekend removing blanket weed and various other thing and took down the fishing line which goes all round the pond to stop the heron getting in, but had forgot to replace it and the heron was in have put the fishing line back now as he is not getting his breakfast from my pond

« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 17:15:28 by dibberxxx »

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: beware the herion is about
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 10:58:45 »
Is there any truth in the rumour that if your pond is of a certain depth then heron are unable to get at the fish?  I've heard various people say that the heron like to wade into a pond before starting to reap havoc.  Hence ponds of a certain depth would be "unwadeable" into!

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 13:04:10 »
3 of my fish have gone :'(  I can only assume it was a heron.. The biggest one has survived and has gone into hiding.  I was in the process of removing all the blanket weed but think I will leave it now as it gives her somewhere to hide.  She is coming out for nothing not even food. :(
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 13:59:19 »
Anthony:  the truth about the depth of your Pond is NOT true much to my dismay Winter 2003/2004.   

We have had a pond with fish since 1994 and despite daily visits during the winter from the Heron did not lose any fish.  However last winter 2004, I had a shock in store for me when my fish emerged from their winter feeding grounds and rest.   :o :o :o  I had lost approximately 35 fish.  6 of the fish being huge  i.e. 12" at least and the rest about4".

Our Pond is 3ft deep in the middle with a 1ft high shelf round it.  and it is a big pond. 

This winter we put a large net over the whole pond, but the Heron still visited us daily but I am pleased to say he got NOWT. 

I really do not know how he managed it last year, perseverance probably, but manage he did.

>:( >:(

Bodolph

• Not So New ...
  • "Another day - another plant"
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 15:52:17 »
Don't be tempted to try the plastic herons as a deterrent. I tried one last year. I was reliably informed that provided I moved the plastic heron ever couple of days other herons would avoid the decoy.

Codswallop - the very next day my wife looked out to see two herons (obviously one of them was our plastic decoy). Either he was a very friendly heron or short-sighted but the decoy was back to the shop pronto. The only solution I have come up with to deter the heron is a physical barrier.
"...Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so..."

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 17:27:08 »
Update on the fish...  Saw the big golden one and another today. ;D ;D AND  a baby that was one of about 20 is still around.  Well if two large ones are there, maybe hope for the others. 

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 20:09:16 »
update on the heron when i got up this morning at 6 o'clock not sleeping to well all night worrying about the herons return i opened the bathroom window and there he was stood right next to the plastic heron a hard bang on the window and off he flew don't think he had been in the pond as we have put loads of fishing line around the pond and Cris crossed it over the pond. i no its part of nature but why my pond perhaps he thought the plastic heron would be an ideal breeding partner

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 20:29:03 »
I lost eight of my large fish to a heron last year.  I've tied twine around the pond this year and haven't lost any yet but was thinking it was safe to take it down now.  On second thoughts I think I'll leave it for a few more weeks.  I think herons are amazing birds, they look like thoughtful clerics when they stand at the edge of the water but this is definitely a case of nimby :-[
Weeds? What weeds?

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 22:44:03 »
I know what you mean by the Clerical Heron.  I like them too and watch them A LOT.  I have seen up to 12 sitting up a tree and I think they look out of place in the trees.

:( :(

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 11:01:09 »
I cover my pond with a net which I can remove quite easily if/when required.  The problem I have is that most of the time I spend either taking it off or putting it on.  And when it is on it really doesn't look pleasant and takes something away from the look of the pond.

I was toying with the idea of just removing it altogether in the summer but would be seriously annoyed if any of the fish did fall prey to either a heron or maybe a cat.

Decisions decisions!!

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 14:40:56 »
Hi all.We have a heronry about a mile away from here,plus a river just round the corner.The herons found my very first pond within a day of putting a few fish in! Hence a cover net ever since.Eventually they gave up trying.I think once the herons have tried a few times after being successful they will give up,but i should think they might just check from the air now and then so if you do remove the net,watch out!! my plastic heron is merely for show.My raised pond is safe and does not need a net.The heron stood on the wall but just could not work out how to bend down and get the fish.He then made a dive and ended up splashing about in the water.He looked so ungainly i had to laugh!

Mimi they do hide for ages after the heron has frightened them but hopefully your fish will still be there.Carol i am sorry to hear you lost so many that must have been very upsetting. :(  Tony,you will get used to the net.It is better than losing them.
Margaret

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 15:22:10 »
I don't know whether a heron would get down into our garden with a large weeping willow smack bang in the middle of it.  Crows and rooks have a hell of time when they come in for food.  However, that said, we did have an injured fish which died at the weekend.  He had a bash on his back, quite a bruise really.  Could have been a cat, or it could have been a heron or it could have been something in the pond, but now we have a net in place, not pretty, but it can be removed as and when we want, and it saves any upsets.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Beware the heron is about
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 20:25:46 »
Here’s another way to solve the Heron problem and keep the children safe from drowning. ;)
http://www.safapond.com/

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 21:27:49 »
We have a couple of crows that frequent the area and they are often seen divebombing herons and buzzards so hopefully a heron would give up trying to get to my pond. If he did get down the dog would soon make him see the error of his ways as good old Flynn has the run of the garden from sun-up to sun-down.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 22:03:15 »
Hey Roy I am all for that   ;D  8)  ;D Four hunky young guys can stand in my pond all day ............whether they keep the heron away or not.  ;)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 23:04:13 »
Cor I agree Mimi.  In fact, I am going to contact our local pond shop and see if they have any in stock!  ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 23:09:01 »
FFFwwwwwwaaahhh, can you put an order in for me too Emma???  Think I will go for 2 of the one on the left please  ;D  ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 23:38:39 »
:o You naughty naughty girls you :o you don't get the men you get the grid they are standing on :o Sigh ::) I turn my back for a minute sigh ::) there's just no controlling you lot :o ;D ;D

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 09:07:45 »
Don't know what you reckon Roy but I can't see any reason why any of the ladies would need to look any further than the regular male contributors to these forums  ;D  And as for the "one on the left" mimi, he looks like a bit of a salad dodger by my reckoning!!  He'd probably cost you a few hundred quid to keep him in pies each month :)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 10:16:03 »
Nah.... I like em chunky  ;)  And with thighs like that he would be great digging down at the lottie.  Not daft me ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal