Author Topic: Heldi's allotment  (Read 27905 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Heldi's allotment
« on: April 11, 2005, 10:53:41 »
This is it folks. My allotment in coastal Northumberland. Took these yesterday.

I didn't get the plot with the rat infestation but the plot with the rubbish tip. The last person who had the plot didn't take down the greenhouse,he smashed it to bits then gave the plot up. The amount of smashed glass is a nightmare!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 18:01:55 by Heldi »

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: my new allotment
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 10:54:31 »
Forgot to add the pics!

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 12:03:16 »
heldi,

you have your work cut out. but the plot looks like a good size, and i am sure there is much useful stuff to be found amongst the rubbish, too.

just make sure you wear strong (leather) gloves for when you collect the glass, and maybe for a time afterwards as well.

my plot is on the edge of our allotment, an d occasionally, rubbish gets trhown over the fence - beer bottles included. i did a major clear out of the edge area and a forgotten corner - on a much smaller scale than you, but lots of glass as well! just take your time, and the mount will disappear quicker than you think :)

all the best
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 14:21:43 »
What a lot o lottie you have got ti  ;D ;D  sorry
Broken glass is my most hated thing in the world, well one of them  :).  I have a big container which I keep on the plot for glass, and It's been emptied at the local skip twice now and it's full again!  The bloody stuff is everywhere and I daren't kneel down in case I sever a knee cap.  I have to great care with the dog as well as he likes to dig for rats (good dog).  Maybe your local council will pay for a skip for you if you write in.  My plotty neighbour did and she let me put some of my stuff in it.  It was a one off and they wouldn't do it again. They also arranged removal of an asbestos shed too.  I segregate stuff into rubble sacks, even asbestos, and take it to the skip.  They are happy if stuff is sorted so they can see what you have.  I have lots of ripped up buried plastic bags - rats  :o :o
Good luck, and I hope you even find time to do a bit of gardening this year  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 14:28:30 »
congratulations. quite a job ahead of you but it'll be worth it....

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 15:16:46 »
Congratulations Heldi! Lots of work ahead of you.  Main thing,  do be careful - lots of potential for accidents there.  At least the opportunity to make it lovely is going to be even greater when it is in such a state.  I am sure you will relish it though and turn it into a thing of beauty before too long.  Do keep posting the pics as it  will be great to see it's transformation. All the best,  busy_lizzie  :) 
live your days not count your years

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 16:28:30 »
Heldi just to add my best wishes for your mammoth task, as already suggested more pics as you go along would be fantastic. Regards Lorna

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 17:47:52 »
Heldi, poor you I wouldn't know where to start.  You sure have your work cut out for you.  More power to your digging arm girl ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 18:22:01 »
TETNUS!

Good for you though.  This time next year when it is all cleared and growing wonderful veg you will know how worth it, it has been!

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 21:09:54 »
Heldi - Lovely big plot - I would kill for one !
I wish you well and lots of strength, you will need it.
 :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 21:57:46 »
Welcome Heldi.

I am new also, some pics in the gallery New plot I have seen the light. Yours looks a two skip job to me. Or four trailer loads to the tip!  :)

Keep us posted on progress, they are a helpful and encouraging lot on here.

I have just cut my hedge, 175 ft x both sides, sorry about the shaky writing I am still vibrrrrrrrrrraaaaatttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnng...
Supernan!!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 22:40:48 »
Don't forget to salvage some of the gear left behind, ie; pallets for compost bin, large tubs for water butts and anything else you can lay your hands on, I can feel the excitement in you, go Girl ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 00:07:01 »
Supernan   I know how you feel after you've been using power tools.  You just can't stop yourself.  My OH used a whacker plate when he started laying our drive and I put his tray of dinner in his hands and he just couldn;t stop shaking and the gravy was slopping all over the place  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 10:45:13 »
Thankyou for all the encouragement. I definately will post some more pics as I go along. Unfortunately I can't get to the allotment during the week as I have no babysitter and I couldn't risk having a toddler there. She wouldn't sit in her pushchair for very long either. Frustrating as I could be doing stuff. (Like standing about wondering what to do next whilst watching the ducks and chickens nextdoor hee hee).

Heres a couple of pics after Sunday afternoon's tidy up. Still loads of glass which isn't visible on the photos but I'm pleased with what we managed to do in an afternoon. I hope the scrapman comes to take the rusty pile away. I was told he is due for a visit so fingers crossed.

I'm trying to sort anything that might be useful and keep it but His Majesty isn't a gardener and doesn't have the recyling vision you sometimes need! Not keeping glass as I can't relax with it about knowing the kids will eventually let loose on the plot.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 12:43:09 »
Looks better already! Keep going, it will be worth all the hard work in the end  ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 19:06:28 »
You're a heroine :o

Eat your heart out,  Ellen.
Good gardening!

John

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 11:52:04 »
What you can't see on those pics is the grimace on my face from the stiffening back!  lol ;D

p.s. you wouldn't want to see it anyway haha!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 15:25:33 »
Your'e doing well to get that much tidied Heldi.  Good for you.  You have already made a difference.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2005, 23:21:11 »
B....y h..l - good job, Heidi.  All power to your elbow! - Gavin

micsmum

• Half Acre
  • Gottie Lottie Now!
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 10:50:57 »
Heldi

Ive got a rusty oil drum (even rustier) on my plot; It's my tool shed!!! Mind you the kids who vandalised most of the sheds on our site a few weeks ago ignored it!!
Helen ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal