Author Topic: Deposits at allotment sites  (Read 36 times)

Paulh

• Hectare
Deposits at allotment sites
« on: Today at 12:22:48 »
New plotholders have to pay a deposit on our council sites which is returned when they give up the plot if the plot is left in good order. It is currently £25 which does not cover the council's costs by a long way in most cases.

What amount do other sites charge? What might be reasonable - the council is suggesting £150 or even £250. This would affect new plotholders only, so it may be more a question of whether anyone would be put off and there is a small waiting list currently.

Thanks

lezelle

• Acre
Re: Deposits at allotment sites
« Reply #1 on: Today at 14:35:30 »
Hi Ya, we are experiencing similar problems on our site. You don't have lay a deposit or anything. The onus is usually on the person vacating the plot. The one next to me was given up 4 months ago and though the council have people interested in taking a plot on the weed problem is horrendous. I can see why some people have looked at it but so far no takers. I can't blame them as it's a mess and is affecting me as with the weather problems they weeds are seeding and flowering readily all over and growing huge. They could give new clients a 6 months free period to get it round. On the site there is strawberries, comfry, that is a big pain in the backside, aparagus, and I have witnessed people helping themselves, apple and plum trees, they have been there 20 years I noe, also red and white grapes. 2 compost bins full. The sheds have been removed do no sheds. I don't understand but the council seem to have their hands tied somewhat in order to carry on. It's not the only plot as further up the site there are more plots the same. I think people take them on then find they need time and hard graft. I was always under the impression that who gave them up would be liable to leaving them in a stable condition. Still I have my plot and it keeps me active and happy. Take care all.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal