Author Topic: Ideas on a small cordless tiller for raised beds?  (Read 6004 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Ideas on a small cordless tiller for raised beds?
« on: February 19, 2024, 19:52:23 »
I am thinking of getting a small very light cordless tiller to do my 8ft by 4ft raised beds. Really just breaking up the soil for planting and sowing etc. Has anyone any recommendations. I was thinking of getting an extra battery with it.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Ideas on a small cordless tiller for raised beds?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 12:30:26 »
I just send out OH to remove any big weeds and then I hoe and rake as necessary.   Where possible, we now apply a layer of hardboard and then compost from the heaps as we're trying to limit soil disturbance and build up healthy levels of fertility and micro-organisms.

Obxx - Vendée France

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 13:24:05 »
I use one of these - www.worldofwolf.co.uk/wolf-garten-multi-change-soil-miller-15cm-das for my raised beds - 12 x 4ft.  Only works the top 1 or 2 inch so does not break up soil structure and is really good for turning compost into the top layer. 

They seem to have pushed the price, but there may be some old stock or offer around to secure cheaper.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 11:12:58 »
This is the tool I have used for the last 30–40 years for jobs like you describe. (See attachments 1 &2)

There are many similar products to be had online, e.g.

Long shafted; https://www.charlies.co.uk/wilkinson-sword-1111119w-stainless-steel-3-prong-cultivator.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackson-Elements-Prong-Cultivator/dp/B004410DIU?th=1

Short Shafted; https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/product/_/dewit-3-tine-cultivator-ash-drop-grip-handle/classid.2000037652/

I just thought they were worth considering rather than lugging a piece of machinery onto your beds, plus the only thing that requires recharging is you! :glasses9:

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 16:51:06 »
We have several similar Tee Gee, we call the largest one "the plough"...

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2024, 10:45:09 »
I hand dig out new perennial weeds then use a hoe for the small stuff left to dry out and die on the surface. When doing the early Spring getting beds ready purge I use a combi rake and hoe tool; I can’t remember the proper name or make for it, but I got it from a posh tool stand at one of the Tatton Park shows about 5 years ago, I think it’s Scandinavian? Long pale wood handle and beautifully made. I’ll try and track the make down!

It’s a Sneeboer & Zn thing…….I can’t find it on their online catalogue but I am now drooling over their other stuff….!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 10:57:14 by Deb P »
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2024, 13:18:23 »
We use the Wolf multi-head system so have cultivator heads like Tee Gee's but also push-mepull-you double edged hoes and rakes in several sizes.  They're the tools we use most but there's also a lawn edge trimmer and many others.  We have short handles for close work plus medium and full length handles so we can both work on different bits of th eveg plot and garden.  Very easy to use and very easy to store.
Obxx - Vendée France

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2024, 17:21:17 »
I had a look at my rake/ hoe this afternoon, it’s a Dakota made in Holland!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2024, 22:48:13 »
I had a look at my rake/ hoe this afternoon, it’s a Dakota made in Holland!

Searched online, it seems Dakota tools are now defunct, but the De Wit tools are also manufactured in Holland and do a ‘Sprake’ which is very similar……

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 19:23:19 »
Well I've taken your advice and scrubbed the idea of getting a small powered rotavator. IanDH i actually have the Wolftool rotavator you mention in my allotment shed but have never used it! My late wife bought it for me as a present nearly 20 years ago so I am going to use that and a rake to attack the raised beds. The soil is good and we have added to the top good quality compost/soil improver so a couple of inches of cultivation should keep the good stuff on the top for germination and growth.
The bigger problem is a large potato growing area that does not consist of raised beds but is open. May end up just digging out the small number of weeds in it and planting the spuds anyway without much cultivation (I do have a medium sized powered rotavator).
However at present this area and even the raised beds are the height of sogginess. Need a few days without rain. Can you stop whoever is doing the rain dance!😂

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2024, 19:50:15 »
I won't be digging the potato area either. It had peas, beans, and squash in it last season and had compost over some of it. A bit of weeding, a go with the (hand tool) cultivator to level it and some chicken pellets raked in, then it will be ready for planting. However, if I can't get it done within the next three days, it will be the second half of the month before I am able to do it. That's a week or two later than I usually plant them, but I'm sure they will be OK. Nobody has said I have to get the trays out of the bath yet.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2024, 19:07:53 »
Same here PaulH. I've planted them in early May before now-no problem. They just are a ready a week or two later.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal