Author Topic: Seed potatoes  (Read 3818 times)

lezelle

• Acre
Seed potatoes
« on: December 26, 2023, 10:14:46 »
Hi Ya, I have been looking up prices for seed potatoes and wow the prices are well up' One seller I visited is charging £8.99 for 9 to 14 tubers. Gasp. Add the price of postage on top. Where do you all buy your potatoes?, I am perusing to find the beat deal. Maybe I will just wait till January and start looking in the local garden centre though the only one near us is known to be expensive. Any advice on where to look for best deals would be most appreciated. Thanks all

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 11:44:57 »
Our allotment association buys in bulk from a distributor but this means that the association has to buys cartons of eight 2.5 kg / 5 kg bags for each variety it wants, so only the most popular varieties are available, and we have to order by the end of August for collection in January! I have ordered Kestrel and Charlotte and the price is about £3 or £3.50 for 2.5 kg.

If anyone isn't already, allotment associations will often permit non-plot holder ("gardening") members, so that may give access to better prices on a whole range of things including composts, fertilisers, etc.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 16:47:27 »
I'll be trawling round the local Garden Centres early in the New Year comparing prices, hope to find some Carlingford this year... had to use "saved" last time but not something I would like to continue doing. Our site is "affiliated" to a local site so we can use their shop...

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 11:02:55 »
We’re really missing Wilco now….😥😥😥
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 11:33:11 »
I Purchase from a small nursery in Leicestershire for most of my spuds.  SOme I purchase from Amy at Potato House ( but she's not got my favourite Vitabella this season) I have 2 kilo of Java on order from Kings.  Any shortfall will be made up from pre-packed bags at Dobbies or another local nursery.  good hunting  :wave:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 08:13:56 »
I have ordered 8kgs of Lady Christi, 8kgs of Kestrel and 10kgs of Harmony from our association at £2.50 for 2 kgs. I had a bit of a disaster last year with the Kestrel that I saved from my crop so I have had a clean sweep this year with all new stock. With Wilko now gone I suspect many growers will be in the same boat as lezelle perhaps B & M will fill the space but the best bet is to try and find an association. At the main seed suppliers price it is just not worthwhile growing them.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 15:20:48 »
I've used Wilko for years, sob sob. I'm down to just growing in buckets now, so I thought, just get what you want and sod the cost, think of the joy of early new potatoes, so I got a bag of Charlotte from Amazon.....

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 07:56:46 »
Hi Ya, I am coming round to the same way of thinking as you small. I enjoy growing them from the start and recently bought a 2kg bag of early with 21 tubers in for £4.99. I have a garden centre voucher so that will help and I am waiting to hear from a favourite garden centre as to when they will have seed potatoes on sale as they do a good price. I have looked on line and at potato house and wow with postage very high price. I see a lot of Linconshire places and might visit my son who lives there and have a look around. Good luck to all

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal