Author Topic: Ranunculus sprouting too soon  (Read 1489 times)

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
Ranunculus sprouting too soon
« on: November 24, 2023, 23:07:32 »
I recently planted some ranunculas bulbs - following instructions to plant them in small biodegradable pots and place in a dark, cool place before planting them out in early spring. On checking them I find that they are all sprouting and sending up shoots already. What should I do? Should I plant them up in pots and put them in a shed/conservatory over the winter months?
Weeds? What weeds?

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
Re: Ranunculus sprouting too soon
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 06:37:11 »
I know nothing about Ranunculus specifically but your suggestion sounds sensible. The important thing seems to be not to keep them dark any more as the shoots will become spindly. Somewhere cool, frost free and with light is what I would go with.
Others may offer more informed advice.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 10:12:29 »
I basically agree with Jan. It's a flower I have only grown once and therefor don't know much about them.
This is my take on them
https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/R/Ranunculus/Ranunculus.htm

ps. Then again,this year I have had lots of stuff doing their thing out of season with spring stuff in late summer/ autumn and new leaf growth on my fruit trees when I would expect them to turn autumnal and fall off.???? Perhaps your plant are doing a similar thing
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 10:21:45 by Tee Gee »

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 14:10:07 »
Thanks for your comments. I’m going to put them in pots and keep in my cold conservatory - fingers crossed!
Weeds? What weeds?

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 11:34:43 »
Hi, I've never grown Ranunculus, but what you suggest seems very sound and logical.  The seasons and plants are doing odd things right now.  Usually by now, my Arum (Calla) lilies (both grown in pots and in the soil), have died down ready to have the posts moved into the greenhouse and the garden ones protected with fleece till spring.  Right now they are green with no sign of fading off. Oh well at least the frost will be good for the sprouts and parsnips.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal