Author Topic: Floods  (Read 3575 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Floods
« on: October 31, 2023, 15:37:33 »
How are you doing? We was away in the motor home got stuck in the soft ground at one site and drove in a rolling roadblock one day as every body else was going so fast they were aquaplaning off the road when they braked. My garden is up on the highest point of town, being the site of the windmill a couple of centuries ago. Not so lucky for the daughter she got 3 foot of water right through the house with such a force it carried the fridge freezer right down the hall and smashed the front door out.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Floods
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 18:29:11 »
That sounds horrendous ACE, both traffic and freezer.  I hope your daughter can get it all cleaned up quickly.

No floods here as we're a bit higher than the nearby Marais Poitevin levels but I don't fancy their chances this next couple of days.  Storm Ciaran is set to bring winds of 150kph  - 170 along the coast of Brittany - and heavy rain combined with high tides will combine to wreak havoc.  The last storm at the weekend has already seen sandy beaches and the dunes behind them re-arranged as wel as breaches leading to inland flooding of coastal streams and dykes.

I don't much fancy the chances of homes, gardens and allotments in low lying areas along the coast or on islands such as Noirmoutier and the Isle de Ré which are only just above sea level.

It's still warm here with double figures even at night and the recent rains mean I had a great time planting garlic this pm - soil soft and warm but not sodden.

Stay safe everyone if you're in the path of the storm.
Obxx - Vendée France

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 08:17:19 »
Shame about the floods. Odd thing is that despite the amount of rain we are supposed to have had, our soil is still dry at about 2 inches depth.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 14:54:00 »
Ace I am sorry to hear about your daughter's flood, that was some force to move a fridge freezer to smash the door, I hope she can get sorted soon, thinking of her. Stay safe everyone in the storm coming, take care.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 07:41:49 »
The south coast was hit hard but being on the north coast of the island it was breezy with showers. Daughter is in a hotel until something permanent is found for her. It will take quite a while before she gets home again. My garage, conservatory and spare room is full of all the stuff she could salvage. Can't offer her a place to stay because if she does not take up the councils offer of a place to stay they will accused of making themselves deliberately homeless. A new estate built behind her home drained all the water from the roads into the stream at the back of her house and it could not handle the extra water. Predicted to happen all over again tomorrow.

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 13:28:38 »
OK this time round. 

The last storm had flood water lapping at the edge of our plot.  The site is on a gentle slope with about a 4" drop from ours to the next plot - the 4 plots bellow ours were completely under water.  We wait to see what the long term damage is.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 13:43:09 »
ACE I hoe your dughter's home can be dreid out and cleaned up soon or alternative accommodation found.   At least she can come to yours for a hot meal and some comfort.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 22:02:47 »
Sorry to hear that ACE, hope things are sorted out soon.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2023, 16:46:44 »
Sorry about your daughter's plight, Ace, must be soul-destroying. We got a 4am call from the Environment Agency with a flood warning, but fortunately our stretch of the Derwent stayed where it should. The water table is higher though than I've ever seen, been here forty years, the ditches are overflowed onto the lawn and what I've kept of my veg plot, the asparagus and JA's, are underwater. Not looking forward to the winter much....

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2023, 12:56:13 »
Was in hospital in Newport and the car park was flooded also cars stuck in floods at Wootton Bridge. Home now but had a leak on roof so front room damp.
Luckily OH put plastic sheeting up and he is cooking for me as have lost a stone in weight.
Our bungalow is in Wootton Bridge, between Newport and Ryde Isle of Wight.
Miss my Dulcie but OH said no more cats. Cats Protection had a 2 year old cat called Dulcie and looked like Dulcie but when told lady on phone I was 80 suggested an older cat, as they like them to have a forever home and this Dulcie had been taken back twice one for meowing constantly and second time for nipping. Sounds like a character.
Anyway OH said no, and since I was taken to hospital will have to listen to him.
Had loads of runner beans and have greenhouse, now just have to get well.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2023, 18:06:46 »
Get well soon Borlotti, I hope you are soon back to normal.  I can understand your wishing for another cat but you must look after yourself first for the moment and abide by OH's rules!  You have plenty of time to get back on your feet before the sowing season starts again, look after yourself xx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal