Author Topic: what is it  (Read 5215 times)

lezelle

• Acre
what is it
« on: October 19, 2023, 13:25:43 »
Hi All, I have just lifted all my squash plants to brown bin and under them was this plant. Does anyone know what it is? I wonder where it came from and what is it. Any help would be most appreciated. Thankyou

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: what is it
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 15:53:01 »
kardoen or artichoke

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 18:36:57 »
Yes, I agree. I'm not sure that I can tell cardoon some globe artichoke as they are similar. But it looks very like the globe artichoke I grow.

I imagine it must have come from seed. They have a large slightly thistle-like flower. Perhaps a bird dropped it on your veg bed

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 06:38:08 »
Hi Ya, I see that it is what you say. I have never grown them so wondered what it was and where it came from. I didn't see it until I was clearing my sqush plants. I am also suprised at the amount of weeds under the squash as I thought it was dense under them but no, I'm learning all the time. Thanks for advice and solving my question

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 20:41:57 »
I've never had a volunteer globe artichoke, so Murphy's law says it will be a cardoon - the only recipe that interests me involves blanching the leaf stalks like celery before battering batons & cooking as pakora - but I've never found time for the first step.

The flower buds can be boiled as artichokes but they are half the diameter - it would be useful to cook them for small people with small nimble hands & fingers (& mouths) - they would be a worthwhile and delicious starter - but I don't have that Demographic nearby ie. kids - and they tend to prefer ultra-processed food anyway.

OTOH I've never had any trouble finding someone who wants them as an ornamental.

I used to think the flowers were vivid shades of blue or purple, but my current nuisance ones are the palest blue - almost white.

Cheers

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 08:39:05 »
I get volunteer globe artichokes all the time, it's my own fault. I grew some from seed and wasn't impressed but have left them in as an "architectural" border to my plot and leave the seed heads on for the birds...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal