Author Topic: what is it  (Read 5236 times)

lezelle

• Acre
what is it
« on: October 19, 2023, 13:25:43 »
Hi All, I have just lifted all my squash plants to brown bin and under them was this plant. Does anyone know what it is? I wonder where it came from and what is it. Any help would be most appreciated. Thankyou

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: what is it
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 15:53:01 »
kardoen or artichoke

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 18:36:57 »
Yes, I agree. I'm not sure that I can tell cardoon some globe artichoke as they are similar. But it looks very like the globe artichoke I grow.

I imagine it must have come from seed. They have a large slightly thistle-like flower. Perhaps a bird dropped it on your veg bed

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 06:38:08 »
Hi Ya, I see that it is what you say. I have never grown them so wondered what it was and where it came from. I didn't see it until I was clearing my sqush plants. I am also suprised at the amount of weeds under the squash as I thought it was dense under them but no, I'm learning all the time. Thanks for advice and solving my question

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 20:41:57 »
I've never had a volunteer globe artichoke, so Murphy's law says it will be a cardoon - the only recipe that interests me involves blanching the leaf stalks like celery before battering batons & cooking as pakora - but I've never found time for the first step.

The flower buds can be boiled as artichokes but they are half the diameter - it would be useful to cook them for small people with small nimble hands & fingers (& mouths) - they would be a worthwhile and delicious starter - but I don't have that Demographic nearby ie. kids - and they tend to prefer ultra-processed food anyway.

OTOH I've never had any trouble finding someone who wants them as an ornamental.

I used to think the flowers were vivid shades of blue or purple, but my current nuisance ones are the palest blue - almost white.

Cheers

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 08:39:05 »
I get volunteer globe artichokes all the time, it's my own fault. I grew some from seed and wasn't impressed but have left them in as an "architectural" border to my plot and leave the seed heads on for the birds...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal